God in your brain....

by EntirelyPossible 130 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Just came across an interesting study. During brain scans, when people were asked how they felt about something, the same part of the brain was active as when they were asked how God felt about something. When asked how other people felt about something, however, a different part of the brain was at work.

Specifically, the portion of the brain that was active when asking people how God felt about things was the portion of the brain associated with self-referential thinking.... people are literally making God up in their own image as they go. They are asking themselves and attributing the answer to God.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19955414

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Very interesting. Thanks for this

• dazed but not confused
  • dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

"Believers commonly use inferences about God's beliefs as a moral compass, but that compass appears especially dependent on one's own existing beliefs."

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Jung wrote ages before MRIs and brain scans that we project our wishes onto Jesus. I know I do so.

It was probably observed during ancient time. Having actual scans is amazing.

• watson
    watson

One of the best thread titles ever!

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

“Alper uses a Socratic technique to brilliantly and flawlessly argue that our concepts of spirit and God are derived from the mechanics of our brain...enormously important...full of scientific and philosophical truths.” —Mark Waldman, senior editor, Transpersonal Review

This sounds interesting. I may give it a read

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

I thought it was fascinating. Of course, those that are sure they talk to god and not themselves will find a way to rationalize dismissing all evidence to the contrary.

Just for emphasis, when asked how God felt about things, people referenced the part of their brain that refers to how THEY felt about things and then reported that.

• watson
    watson

I guess that's why prayer works!

• haboob48
    haboob48

Literally? Unbelievable! I was just thinking about that today! Was wondering if there were any studies like this. It floors me how I can THINK about somethining..........then...........a thread. Thanks EP! This is why I don't post much....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit