How many went from christian to something else?

by Satanus 41 Replies latest jw friends

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

cats eyes but not on the topic, the thread yes lol

• daringhart13
    daringhart13

I was essentially a born in JW....became an elder that was used at the District/Circuit level...... no one would have guessed I would leave. They'd list me as LAST to leave.

Now?

I would probably say agnostic.........HOWEVER........I cannot wrap my mind around the concept of a God that would watch his precious children tortured, slaughtered, in misery and agony for a supposed 6,000 years............all because he's concerned about how 'his name' looks to a bully.

I'm an ENFJ and a hardcore Idealist...... and candidly, if that's the God I'm supposed be intimately drawn to.....to worship and love....... it just isn't going to happen. If that Fred Franz, Universal Sovereignty concept is the 'truth'..........then He isn't worth worshiping.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Ravens

Well, you might change, someday. Anything is possible. For how long have you been christian?

S

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

JW for 27 years - Angry hater of God Jehovah 6 months - Agnostic 2 months - Atheist 9 months and counting........ and never been happier. The guilt is gone and I can finally breath.

• Satanus
    Satanus

daring

Freddy was a wierd duck. I think he was really an alien that had been worked over w plastic surgery to pass for human.

dazed

I get the mad at god part. I was never mad at jehovah while i believed in him. After i stopped believing in the biblegod, that's when i got mad, but not at the god, since he doesn't exist. I was mad at the concept and that i had put so much time and effort into pleasing him. I was mad at being scammed. It has mostly passed. There are no shortcuts, it seems, in working things out/working through things.

S

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I have been out 12 years. When I first left I still believed in God, but I was anti religion. After about 6 years I became Agnostic. I am currently coming around to idea of belief in God, it is not based on logic, but I think science and logic can only take you so far. I just like to think there is something more out there. I am thinking of joining a faith based community. I feel most comfortable with Christianity, so I am looking into it. It would have to be a very liberal church, I can't believe in hell fire.

• Tameria2001
    Tameria2001

After leaving the JWs, I went to Christian church, and was baptized. I had gone to several different types of churches. But I had noticed that after a while they had the same feel as the Watchtower, in the controlling issue. Something that I had always meant to do was to actually read the bible, I mean really read it, and meditate on what I was reading. There were several things that caught my attention, and because of that I have totally walked away from all types of religions. I had also done plenty of research on religions as well.

To make a long story short, yes I feel the 10 commandments are something we should live our life by. I mean a person should never mess around with anyone who is not their spouse, or people should not murder each other.

Once I had finally finished reading the bible from the front to back I came to the conclusion that most of the bible is pure bunk.

Take these scriptures for instant;

Romans 13

(1) Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. (2) Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. (3) For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and you will be commended. (4) For the one in authority is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God’s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer.

So basically the bible is saying that all government is established by God and to completely obey the government. So what about government such as well let me give an example of one government, Nazi Germany, back in the 1940’s? This government was murdering a lot of people, and they are not the only ones who were/are guilty of that. According to the bible, since they are established by God, people should have just let them keep on doing their evil deeds. This is just to give one example on why I don’t believe in the bible anymore.

I do have two questions, why does the bible have 66 books? Think about it for a moment. Why were there a total of 13 men included in the group with Jesus, there were 12 disciples plus Jesus that made it a total of 13 men.

• GromitSK
    GromitSK

Had a non-religious upbringing but nominal Roman Catholic. Then became practicing catholic at university. Whilst there got snared by JWs. In for about 5 years. Now agnostic. Not interested in any organised religion.

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

lisa: keep studying the bible! satanus: i have been christian about three years ,when i relalized the faith and the belief i had was really in the wt and not god himself, it hit me hard that i really did not love jesus at that time,i loved what he did ,because i could live forever as a good jw,but now i know what its like to really love the god of the bible,i feel glad on one hand that i did not jump into another religion and im was able to put my trust and faith to whom it needed to be put on,and its it very hard on the other hand ,seeing my wifeys reaction to everything.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Lisa

Thnakyou. Yes, science hasn't gone very far, yet. Christianity has its positive side.

Tameria

Just one question, one that i always feel like asking, when a person extols the 10 commandments: do you refrain from any work on the 7th day?

' why does the bible have 66 books? Think about it for a moment. Why were there a total of 13 men included in the group with Jesus, there were 12 disciples plus Jesus that made it a total of 13 men.'

66 books, cuz that's what the church fathers narrowed it down to. 12 disciples was a tradition among the student guru mileiu, from my understanding.

Gromst

Check.

Ravens

Cool.

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit