Bombing of KH in Sydney australia late 1980's ?

by zeb 18 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

My brother was there that day; sitting up the back with the bad boys because he was still unbaptised then. He was o.k. just deaf in one ear for a few weeks afterwards. I think everybody from the cong went to hospital for a check-up. I was in VIC that day, in a KH with my mum and sisters; and a friend of my dad- who was a born again christian- heard the news on the radio and came to our KH and told an elder. Of course, the elder didn't believe him, but went out to his car and heard it on the radio. So it was announced at the end of the meeting and included in the prayer.

The Lurnea KH was in a real high-crime area- lots of vehicle theft and arson; the kind of place where you might imagine anything bad was possible.

• zeb
    zeb

thanks all. Yep it happened. The story of the nails i dont know.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises
    I think they were pretty sure the guy who planted the bomb was an unbelieving husband of one of the sisters in the congregation, but they couldn't prove it for some reason.

That's what I remember about the suspect too. There was some technicality that prevented them from pinning it on him.

I was talking to someone in Sydney during the 90s who said the Hall had been cleaned on the Saturday and was left unlocked. This gave the bomber enough access to somehow put the bomb underneath the platform.

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

I remember this. They took all the windows out of our California hall because of it. "Windows will make it easier for mobs to get us"An elder told me.

I asked the Elder (on the RBC), Can't they just come through the front door? Or wait till we are hungry? I got a dirty look.

• Tiktaalik
    Tiktaalik

I remember it well. It was in 1985 and it occurred on a Sunday morning. I was a young pioneer at the time. I was no where near Sydney but we heard about it when we got home from the meeting at lunch time. It was all over the news. I remember being fired up with expectation that the great persecution was beginning. That was the talk anyway. Immediately afterwards, for a couple of years, there was a policy of checking the halls before letting everyone in prior to each meeting.

The hall that was bombed was the Casula Kingdom Hall and the congregation involved was the Lurnea congregation. The hall was used by several congregations if I recall correctly. These are suburbs in western Sydney about 30 km or so south west of the cbd.

A year later I went to bethel. Lurnea had quite a few bethelites assigned to it as it's pretty close to Ingleburn, and so many were there at the time of the blast. I got to know a number of them very well. No one from bethel was killed, but all were injured in some way. Most of the injuries consisted of cuts and abrasions and perforated ear drums and were only relatively minor. But one bethel sister was very badly injured. She had to have her face reconstructed.

As far as I know, no one was ever convicted of the bombing. The talk around bethel at the time was that the police knew who the perpetrator was but were not able to pin it on him. It was widely believed that it was the unbelieving husband of a sister from the congregation.

• l p
    l p

Tiktaallik I sent you a PM

• likeabird
    likeabird
    They gave a few "experiences" of that bombing a few months later... about how they were all fumbling through their bibles for a scripture the speaker had told them to look up so most of the blast went straight over their heads apparently. Imagine more so for those in the back as opposed to the front of the hall...

Yes, I heard that too. Of course we were told "look how Jehovah blessed them for looking up their scriptures" and "look how they were protected because they were obedient". In any case, the story always floated into mind when I couldn't be bothered to look up Heb 10:24,25 for the 5 millionth time and I would look around the hall to check there were no unsavory characters with suspicious packages floating about!

• biometrics
    biometrics

And from it sprung a bunch of JW urban myths. Most memorable went something like "If the bomb was placed in the correct angle, everyone in the hall would have been killed".

• fiddler
    fiddler

I used to have a tape recording of the talk given by a CO at the time.........I only remember thinking he sounded like 'Crocodile Dundee'

It was a full accounting of the event. I also remember the CO guy swearing at one point ON THE RECORDING about all the calls coming in..........they were all a little sleep deprived or something like that. Anyways, I've also always wondered whatever happened with that CO. He seemed like a pretty likeable person with even a bit of a sense of humor. Anyone know who the CO was in that area at the time?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit