Remarkable Statistic - Bible Studies compared to Baptisms

by jwfacts 30 Replies latest watchtower bible

• moshe
    moshe

Just think how much good JWs could do, if they used those wasted field service hours for real community volunteer work-

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

The ratio improves everytime there is fear of the end. Whe a clear date was given a drastic improvement is shown... I think is time for another end of times story.

• Joker10
    Joker10

It could be explained that JWs have been counting revisits as studies, whereas 10 years ago they didn't.

If you visit a person 3 times and you spend 15 minutes with them each time, then you are giving a bible study without the person realizing and you could count it as one Study.

That's how the congregation I attended counted for studies.

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

00DAD: From your chart it looks like 1983 was a really good year. After that, it's all downhill from there.

The year 1984 saw a surge attempt with a series of Watchtowers, highlighted with the cover below. Of course it didn't work. Len

• wasblind
    wasblind

Wow. This makes me wanna throw a party now instead of 2014

" The "generation" that was alive at the begining of fulfillment of the sign in 1914 is now well along in years. The time remaining must be very short."_______Reasoning book page 239

" Have you ever wondered why we grow old and die? "_________Reasoning book page 14

Question: Which is it gonna be ?????

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Another interpretation of the bs/baptisms is that the majority of bs are with children as part of the their weekly family study.

Most of these studies are bogus and an easy way to get a few hours, return visits and a bible study every month for the parents.

I say bogus from person experience as a child and parent. What a waste of time.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Joker10, the counting of a Bible Study (I hate that term, it should be Watchtower publication study) is subjective, and JWs may now be reporting more leniently these days, which could have a partial affect. One factor from 1975 could be the 6 month limit back then. Since the figue is average Bible Studies, not named Bible studies, the difference may not be as great if it were possible to find out to total number of actual people studying each year.

NY44M, I agree that the increase in total bible studies has been due to a greater push to report studying with your own children since dropping the separate book study. However, it is not a huge difference, as if children count for 20% of the congregation, that is only 1.4 million out of the 8 million, and since reporting children always was allowed, most children did get included in the numbers in the past anyway.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Since publishers no longer turn in study report slips, it's even easier to report studies that are clearly going nowhere. My dad currently has a weekly "Bible study" who will die before it ever progresses to anything.

• Heaven
    Heaven

My Dad was an active JW for 20 to 30 years. He never brought one person in. Not one.

If I had those kinda results at work I'd be fired.

He used to visit the same people again and again. There was a very elderly lady he used to visit with the mags. I am not sure she read them. If your 'territory' is kinda dry, how are you gonna be able to bring in more people if you don't go further a-field? JWs continue preaching to the same people who don't have the heart to tell them to buzz off.

I work from home regularly every week. I'm in the office maybe 1 or 2 days out of 5. They are not knocking on my door.

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

Thanks for the info jwfacts. Your site is an invaluable resource to those who are still in but want to make a rational inquiry into their religon. And great for gathering info for family members who are still in.

Statistics like this are great because you can just mention a few at gathering of freinds and family and you almost sound like a keen WT student while presenting information that could actually weaken there faith/delusion.

In our congregation a while ago we had a local needs part about how to increase your hours in the misery. They stressed the fact that those with kids can count time and a bible study. The brother did the maths of how many actual hours in service those with kids would need to reach the national average compared to those without. It was a bit strange.

The witnessing work is such a drag for many witnesses. No one is interested. Knock on the door hope it's a not at home, don't bother recording them we are back soon enough. On the rare occasion you get through a introduction it's like 'oh crap you didn't shut the door on me, I have to have say something now, here have a watchtower'.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit