Sorry for how long this is but I just had to share...

by dazed but not confused 37 Replies latest jw friends

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Your friend sounds more like he's trying to convince himself that it's "the truth".

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

I have read his letter a few times and think the same thing.

• Sapphy
    Sapphy

dazed - If this was one of my JW friends I'd have hope. He's basically admited he doesn't like the ministry, wants to smoke weed, get tattoed & work more to make more money. What he's really saying is the JW lifestyle is a total grind & he only does it cos he thinks it's true.

But his reasons to believe it's true are noticably absent! & the '8 million JWs can't be wrong' is him just pleading with himself...

A copy of the Atheists Handbook & a couple of years for it to brew & he'll be posting on here.

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

Yeah. I'm going to take it slow with him and feel him out. Like I'v said its hard to get a hold of him. As a resturant manager he's usually working 6 days a week and gets off long after I'v gone to bed. Before this year I would call and leave texts and be lucky if he responded to 20% of them. And now it may be harder but I wont give up.

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

Still nothing from him but I just sent him this message...trying to prod him

Don't ignore any doubts you may have. Follow them. It took me years to even consider following mine. I'm here for you if you ever want to talk.

• whathappened
    whathappened

I know you are excited, but don't be surprised if it is a long time before you here back from him. You know the dubs can not think for themselves and have been warned about harboring doubts about the org. Hope it works out. Let us know.

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

I have also called and left him a voice mail just asking how he was doing, I may have pissed/scared him off.... hope not

• DavePerez
    DavePerez

Many JWs fall for into the trap of believing a lie because they desparately WANT it to be true; they allow their desires of what they HOPE to be true to color their judgment of evaluating what is the reality. If it were simply about pure logic and not the influences of emotion on the decision, then most anyone should be able to analyze the facts, and make a rational decision. There's even those who can parrot the rationales for WHY it's not the truth, but still cannot muster the gumption to act on what they know, out of whatever is hindering them from taking that step....

Sad, really, kind of like a kid who's paralyzed while standing on the edge of the diving board, too scared to jump into the pool but also scared to turn back and take the walk of shame (knowing the other kids will call them chicken). The JWs sometimes will force someone off the board (or the person will take passive-aggressive steps in that direction as if hoping to get caught, or taking risky actions that means the elders are likely to catch them), since they're too afraid to jump on their own.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit