Is this a new low?

by Darth Eowyn 38 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Darth Eowyn
    Darth Eowyn

Just had a couple of JWs stop by my house. They had been before several times and know that I'm a pretty devout Catholic, so I'm sure they were just swinging by to get more time for the card.

Well, this time the opening line was about the tragedy in CT. I mean, really? You're going to try to get converts by capitalizing on this tragedy? That's pretty tasteless.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

You should have asked them to invite their elder over and have a group prayer for the families?

• Darth Eowyn
    Darth Eowyn

Yeah, I was just reading about that on the other thread. I'm pretty dumbfounded, now.

• blondie
    blondie

jws are trained to capitalize on a death in your family

jws are trained to capitalize on your personal illness

jws are trained to capitalize on marriage problems

jws are trained to capitalize on money problems

Not once is there any joy to talk about

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

That is a standard JW pitch. They are scavengers.

Use tragedy in the news to find those who are down and out.

Offer them all of the answers in a neat little bible study.

One year later, a newly minted JW emerges. Thank God for the internet, now people wil usually google JWs within a month or two of contact and tell them to hit the road.

• Darth Eowyn
    Darth Eowyn

The verses they gave me were all the same I've heard before...nation will rise against nation, children will hate their parents, no love, etc. Then we got sidetracked into a talk about God's name. They claimed that the Church 'suppressed' God's name and that the Jews were just superstitious. I tried to explain the theological significance of I AM, but I could tell their eyes glazed over. It was kinda sad.

• JeffT
    JeffT

If they try that on me I'm going to ask them how many kids their god is going to kill at Armageddon.

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

Hmmmmm, I don't know if Catholics have much of a leg to stand on here. Fear and judgement is the order of the day, especially in the less informed parts of the world.

They tie these things into their message as "proof" of the end times. You probably believe it is the end times too don't you?

• Tater-T
    Tater-T

I was going door to door when space shuttle Challenger exploded..

people came to the door crying...

everyone was listening to us, thanking us for the visit,

we thought we were making a difference..

It was like awesome day in service...

nothing new here.. with this recent deal

• steve2
    steve2

Okay there's no denying JWs need tragedy to sell their message. Contented and happy people are less likely to be attracted to the witnesses' religious promises. Dissatisfied and unhappy people are more likely to be attracted to those promises.

Yet, to be fair, most Christian religions also have the need to cash in on suffering to promote their religious solutions.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit