Have you ACTUALLY seen any Bible prophecies fulfilled in your life/lifetime?

by punkofnice 77 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

... aren't scriptures SO VAGUE that prophecy could be interpreted as virtually anything you want?

In some cases, perhaps, but also in many cases, no. Prophecies tend to be specific and those who are familiar with the New Testament couldn’t miss the numerous prophecies pointing to Jesus in the Old Testament. Isaiah 53 is so specific that it sounds as though it was written in the First Century A.D.; however, there are many more prophecies. Look at the creation of Israel, which was scattered among the nations. The prophet Amos wrote: “And I will bring again the captivity of my people of Israel, and they shall build the waste cities, and inhabit them; and they shall plant vineyards, and drink the wine thereof; they shall also make gardens, and eat the fruit of them. And I will plant them upon their land, and they shall no more be pulled up out of their land which I have given them, saith the Lord thy God.” (Amos 9:14-15)

This prophecy was fulfilled literally when the Romans scattered the Jews among the nations of the earth and then gathered them back to their own lands. Then they will revitalize the land, as they’ve done, and Amos really goes out on a limb when he writes, “and they shall no more be pulled up out of their land which I have given them.” From there, jump to Zechariah 12-14, where the prophet predicts that after Israel is gathered, the Lord will go to its aid when it’s attacked: “Behold, I will make Jerusalem a cup of trembling unto all the people round about, when they shall be in the siege both against Judah and against Jerusalem. And in that day will I make Jerusalem a burdensome stone for all people: all that burden themselves with it shall be cut in pieces, though all the people of the earth be gathered together against it.” Israel has won some amazing confrontations when attacked by its neighbors (1948 and 1968 are notable examples). Armageddon will be the last battle of the region and the Lord will appear personally and destroy Israel’s enemies.

Isaiah also prophesied that Judah would be dispersed among the nations of the earth, then gathered back to the lands of its inheritance. He writes: “And it shall come to pass in that day, that the Lord shall set his hand again the second time to recover the remnant of his people, which shall be left, from Assyria, and from Egypt, and from Pathros, and from Cush, and from Elam, and from Shinar, and from Hamath, and from the islands of the sea. And he shall set up an ensign for the nations, and shall assemble the outcasts of Israel, and gather together the dispersed of Judah from the four corners of the earth.” (Isa. 11:11-12)

It’s difficult to overemphasize the accuracy of these prophecies. At the time they were given, they were preposterous. Even the Babylonian conquest and subsequent captivity, which was devastating to the Jews, didn’t begin to compare with the dispersion and restoration. In fact, Israel was not declared to be a nation again until 1948. But the Jehovah's Witnesses didn’t emerge until the late 1870s. The prophecy thus had not yet been fulfilled. So Charles T. Russell and later leaders had to spiritualize the prophecies so they didn’t point to the Jews and Jerusalem but, rather, to the church. And Armageddon, which was supposed to take place in Jerusalem against the Jews, instead was a worldwide conflagration between good and evil, or more specifically, between the Jehovah's Witnesses and the Devil. Even after the establishment of Israel as a state, they’ve continued to assert that Armageddon is a war between the church and the wicked; and they’ve made such a big deal out of it that even “new light” can’t change things.

The prophecies in scripture aren’t the strong point in JW theology. Members don’t know them and don’t study them. I’ve read a number of articles on Armageddon in the Watchtower and other publications, including the Bible Study book and The Truth That Leads to Eternal Life, and I’ve always come away astounded how little is known about the real Armageddon.

Based on the stunning accuracy of biblical prophecies already fulfilled, prophecies yet unfulfilled have an excellent chance of coming to pass. Jesus also foretold the fate of Jerusalem and the Jews, and when the Romans came down on the city, the Christians were all ensconced in Pella and other cities to the north where their leaders had led them. As Jesus had told them in His day, when the time came, “Stand ye in holy places.” Some might have thought that meant the temple, but “holy places” meant anywhere that was designated by revelation.

• cofty
    cofty

It’s difficult to overemphasize the accuracy of these prophecies.

The restoraion "prophesies" in Isaiah were written after the events.

Isaiah 53 is so specific that it sounds as though it was written in the First Century A.D.

Only if you cherry-pick verses, ignore others and read into it things that cannot be read out of it.

• maisha
    maisha

Where did he say that he would return during their lifetime?

Really?

Matt 24 just for a start.

When Jesus said "you will see" and "this generation" was he using Watchtower style double talk?

so if he went to india Kashmir it would fulfil this statement.

he returned and went to one of the lost tribes....

• mP
    mP

No Jesus was talking about the fall of Jerusalem in 70AD.. All that yuour generation will see destruction style talk came true. There is no after application, people just dont want to see whats in front of them plain and simple. WHen you realise the gospels were written after 70AD then its no longer prophecy but someone using a narrative device to fraudulently present Jesus making prophecy after the fact.

• Larsinger58
    Larsinger58

It is quite true that fulfillment is 100% dependent on the correct understanding.

For instance: "The good news will be preached [worldwide], and then the end will come." The "end" here is not a reference to Armageddon, but the end of the gentile times, which ended on November 30, 1947. That same year, NH Knorr went on a worldwide speaking tour!

"With a view to worldwide expansion, on February 6, 1947, the Society’s president and his secretary, Milton G. Henschel, embarked on a 47,795-mile [76,916 km] world service tour. The trip took them to islands of the Pacific, New Zealand, Australia, Southeast Asia, India, the Middle East, the Mediterranean area, Central and Western Europe, Scandinavia, England, and Newfoundland. It was the first time since 1933 that representatives of the Society’s headquarters staff in Brooklyn had been able to visit their brothers in Germany. Jehovah’s Witnesses around the world followed the two travelers as reports of the trip were published in issues of The Watchtower throughout 1947." -- Proclamers, page 98.

That is how that was fulfilled! The end of the gentile times following a worldwide preaching of the "good news." But if you don't have this understanding, then it seems that prophecy hasn't been fulfilled yet. So that is one that is fulfilled in this generation.

Another is Zech 13:8 that says:

"8 “And it must occur in all the land,” is the utterance of Jehovah, “[that] two parts in it are what will be cut off [and] expire; and as for the third [part], it will be left remaining in it. 9 And I shall certainly bring the third [part] through the fire; and I shall actually refine them as in the refining of silver, and examine them as in the examining of gold. It, for its part, will call upon my name, and I, for my part, will answer it. I will say, ‘It is my people,’ and it, in its turn, will say, ‘Jehovah is my God.’”

This is also about the end of the gentile times, when the Jews would be restored to their homeland following a "great tribulation" where two-thirds of the exiled nation would be exterminated. This was fulfilled by the Holocaust where six million Jews died out of nine million! Fulfilled during our lifetime! But who applies Zech 13:8 to the Holocaust? For those that do, they see fulfillment; for those that don't, it's just an empty prophecy that never got fulfilled.

Just the above two examples, though, show the depth of darkness and spiritual barreness the WTS is experiencing right now, confirming they no longer have Jehovah's approval or spirit. Ironically, they characterize themselves as being in a "spiritual paradise" when, in fact, it is the exact opposite.

So, in the case of those given holy spirit to have the right understanding, they would be the ones who see many prophesies for our time being fulfilled! So, yes, I have ACTUALLY seen Bible prophecies fulfilled. It's wonderful. But I'm exceptional to say the least!

• mP
    mP

Lars:

This is also about the end of the gentile times, when the Jews would be restored to their homeland following a "great tribulation" where two-thirds of the exiled nation would be exterminated. This was fulfilled by the Holocaust where six million Jews died out of nine million! Fulfilled during our lifetime! But who applies Zech 13:8 to the Holocaust? For those that do, they see fulfillment; for those that don't, it's just an empty prophecy that never got fulfilled.

mP:

So why didnt Zech 13:8 apply to the 30 mil + chinese that died when Jesus brother caused havoc inthe 1800s ?

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Well, it's been all quiet on the western front so to speak for about 2000 years.

No return.

No rapture.

No armageddon.

No miracles.

Naff all really.

Nothing that makes me think there ever was a Jesus as we've been indoctrinated to believe in and certainly no god.

• donny
    donny

My dentist said I helped him fulfill Psalm 81:10. "Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit