Friends of Bill W. W Must Stand for WTF?

by Malsonilla 71 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• shamus100
    shamus100

whahappened,,,

Don't love monkeys. It's where aids came from don'tcha know? ** note the sarcasm **

• Cagefighter
    Cagefighter

aa is a cult. it has the same sucess rate as people that just quit drinking on their own or people that become jehovah witnesses. if you dont believe me go to an aa meeting, ask for a sponsor and start a big book study. they will start a jw type indocrination study with you complete with yellow highlighter and try and get you to believe a bunch of false psuedo science and dime story psychology. face the truth and the real reasons for your use which for most former jws is ptsd. it can be treated with anit anxiety medications. many find once the anxiety is treated the drive to use or drinkin a destructive manner leaves on its own.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Cage, what percentage of ex JW's make up AA?

• JeffT
    JeffT

Would you guys be happier if we all took up drinking again and you met us coming down the freeway the wrong way with no headlights at three in the morning?

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I was wondering about the hate myself. I know, no one who lives near me wants me to drink again, lol

Offically, my higher power was simply stating i couldn't do it on my own. For everyone else, it's whatever they want it to be.

The fall out rate at any rehab center is high. People fall back into old habits, or they don't create positive new ones. Or new friends. It's a tough deal. Insurance companies don't have a clue as well. I had a friend ck in to a 30 day program. After 2 weeks he got the boot. The Insurance wouldn't cover it unless he was on meds, the very same thing he was trying to abstain from.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Note this medical definition of addiction.

http://medical.yourdictionary.com/addiction

"Habitual psychological or physiological dependence on a substance or practice beyond one's voluntary control."

If you can quit without help your not an addict. Any doctor reasonably familiar with addiction (there are two in my family) will tell you its hard to quit even with help. AA has worked for lots of us. Other programs work for other people. Good for them.

You say you want to understand, you sure don't talk like you want to understand. You talk like something's under your skin and you want to rant about it. You're welcome to your opinion, but you're not making any friends, or helping the ones you have who happen to have a problem.

• Pterist
    Pterist

AA and similar groups share the basic steps for spirituality. The raw observation of being totally honest about ourselves, warts and all, the acceptance of a "higher power" outside of ourselves, that can change that issue or take it from us, that is out of control in our life.

I came to a better appreciation of Christianity when seeing these principles work in active application of living my baptism daily (a luthern practice) Christian baptism is being connected to Christs death, "letting go", dead in Christ", "denial of self", and being raised in his ressurection power, "letting God" for daily spiritual strengh outside of my own imperfect Adamic nature.

Denial of oneself and reliance on a "god" is fundemantal to spirituality. Christians should have the same attitude as these guys in AA who stand up and admit their failings and weakness, even if they have been sober for over 50 years, every humbling and pure honesty !

We don't need a doctor unless we relize our sickness, that effects our families, friends and keeps us from the person that God intended us to be, a perfected child in his image.

Shalom

• Cagefighter
    Cagefighter

so i call aa and cult and i am threatened with destruction in a head on crash...i would say you just proved my point. here is the truth... no one gives a shit if you drink or not. some will care if you behave like an ass but in the end you either drink or not drink for yourself. not your sponsor, not your high power or whatever non sense.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

AA (the organization) is a cult as much as the JW's are.

1) Members are supposed to self-criticise and humble themselves in order to get salvation, many who are unable to do so commit suicide - check

2) They subscribe to a higher (invisible) power - check

3) Anyone doing anything 'outside' their chosen path is wrong (they call them dry drunks) - check

4) They renounce personal control over their lives and renounce personal responsibility over their problems (aka. God/Bill knows all, Satan/alcohol is the source of your problems) - check

5) They have a holy book - check

6) If you contradict them or question their systems they will lean on you to adjust you or kick you out - check

7) They recruit by preying on the weak - check

8) They require strict adherence to their belief system for salvation - check

9) Their leaders knows-all and is all-powerful and wise and is not accountable for their actions - check

10) Cult/double speak - check

11) Their leader in real life was actually selfish, superstitious, arrogant, sexual predator, con artist and insane - check

12) You can't leave... ever! - check

If you think you are an atheist, an agnostic, a skeptic, or have any other form of intellectual pride which keeps you from accepting what is in this book, I feel sorry for you. The Big Book, 3rd & 4th Editions, Dr. Robert Holbrook Smith, Doctor Bob's Story, Page 181.

• still thinking
    still thinking

here is the truth... no one gives a shit if you drink or not. some will care if you behave like an ass but in the end you either drink or not drink for yourself. not your sponsor, not your high power or whatever non sense.

Well...pretty sure I heard those EXACT same words at an AA and an alanon meeting...funny that. It IS about taking responsibility for your own actions but recognising there are some things that are out of our control, and learning when to let go.

For me, a 'higher power' is simply a way of letting go of things I have no control over. Things I cannot change or do anything about. My 'higher power' is the universe. I am star stuff...the universe is my home.

Sometimes it helps to have something symbolic to hand things over too....it's not a crime. If it were a crime ALL religion would be out of business.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit