If you use two spaces between sentences . . .

by compound complex 33 Replies latest jw friends

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greetings:

Some of our writers do the above. Is it automatic formatting on your computer or do you do it deliberately? I am interested in the whys and wherefores of how you write. My brief paragraph demonstrates the look I am querying. Interestingly, typographers have a decided point of view on this style; its use relates to the old manual typewriters.

Thanks.

CoCo Spaces Out

• Ding
    Ding

My computer does it automatically.

• under the radar
    under the radar

It's a habit I picked up when learning to type in high school back in the late 60's.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I learned it in typing class, too, 40-some years ago. But editors now don't like it, and prefer one space after a period. I like the look of two spaces better, but I'm not going to argue with editors.

• Heaven
    Heaven

Hi CoCo... this is how we were taught to type in high school.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

That is a hold over from manual typesetting. There is no need to do that with modern word processing software. None.

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing

I use it. It was how I was taught in middle school typing class. Let's test the difference.

With 1 space. 1. 1. 1. 1.

With 2 spaces. 1. 1. 1. 1.

I like 2 spaces better.

• tec
    tec

I use two spaces. It is what I was taught in high school, so it just comes automatically to me. Sometimes, if i don't like the way my paragraph lines up (yes, I have this strange fetish of my paragraphs looking pretty in their alignment, and most of the time I have to ignore it, lol), then I will go back and take the extra space out.

Peace to you CoCo,

tammy

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

Sometimes I use several spaces between paragraphs to make sure that a break in thought or point occured. Sometimes one space doesn't do it for me. It's more of a OCD thing, I suppose. I've also been accused of overusing paragraphs. But sometimes if I want a specific point to stand alone, I limit myself to a very short paragraph.

That's the way I roll.

And that's how I like it.

(edit) uh....I didn't read the topic closely enough....never mind. So...I use 1 space after a sentence. Interestingly, this was the way I was taught in highschool...

I also overuse elipses...

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

I don't use two spaces between sentences but I do use them between lines down. In actual fact, on this forum that can result in too big a space and I often have to back up again!

It's all for a cleaner look and a cleaner read, I think, but with me it's as close to automatic as can be, really.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit