Who/what decides what is right and what is wrong?

by Knowsnothing 41 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing

Is it you? Is it me? Is it the United States of America? Is it democracy? Is it communism? What makes something right or wrong?

I'll leave this video up as a starter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8wUOUmM1OA#t=04m50s

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

On this board the moderators decide.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

I do. It's in the Constitution.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Your internal moral compass called your 'conscience' (a forgotten word these days). All law and morality is essentially based on what offends our conscience.

• bohm
    bohm

When you listen to WLCs presentation you really get to appreciate how carefull you need to be as an appolegist; for instance you might want to knock down the atheist by saying: "Moral is not based on oppinion", but thats not so smart when its basically what you advocate. So you go with: "morals is not based on human oppinion", and then its apparently a cogent argument.

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing

The good part starts at 4 mins, 50 seconds. Sorry, but I guess youtube doesn't allow embedding time.

All law and morality is essentially based on what offends our conscience.

Too bad, I'm a psychopath. Nothing offends me, I am free to do as I choose.

So you go with: "morals is not based on human oppinion", and then its apparently a cogent argument.

So, God establishing morality is merely 'God's opinion'? It would seem to me that it surpasses mere opinion.

• bohm
    bohm

KN: So, God establishing morality is merely 'God's opinion'? It would seem to me that it surpasses mere opinion.

you tell me, how does god establish something is moral or not? you can just quote craig if you like..

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing

you tell me, how does god establish something is moral or not? you can just quote craig if you like..

If you look a bit further down the vid, I'll admit that WLC get's his ass handed to him. His main contention raises a good point, though. Any objective morality must be established by something/someone unchangeable. It must be absolute. We have seen from culture to culture, from empire to empire, that what is moral is subjective. Eating animals alive is a practice in some Asian countries. They see nothing wrong with it. Abortion isn't condemned in Western countries.

Allow me to explain this as best I can. I think it makes sense to me. God, as the Ultimate Authority, also has the Ultimate Power. He has the power and authority to homogenize all the differing moralites and make it into one. This solves the problem of conflicting moral values that our pluralistic society offers. It feels as if we are always trying to offer something better, but it is that very action that ends up dividing us all, in the end.

Put simply, if we could all agree on what is moral, we wouldn't even be having this discussion, but God as a perfect agent, has the power to consolidate one single, functional morality, regardless of what we think is and isn't. Sounds a bit dictatorial, but what better solution do you have?

• bohm
    bohm

KN: So the reason something is moral is because god deside it is moral?

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing

KN: So the reason something is moral is because god deside it is moral?

Sure, why not? It's no different than the examples I gave you. Certain Asians decide eating animals alive is not immoral, because they decide it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit