Why don't Jehovah's Witnesses Celebrate Thanksgiving?

by God_Delusion 32 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

That`s the day "John the Turkey"..

Got his Head cut Off..

..............................  mutley-ani1.gif ...OUTLAW

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

And..

His wife got a Pie in the Face..

..............................  mutley-ani1.gif ...OUTLAW

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

I could never answer that when I was a JW. I still can't answer any logical reason why they would.

• blondie
    blondie

It's considered a National holiday (US) like the 4th of July (US). I wonder how many jws were raised to say they don't celebrate a holiday with "I don't celebrate because I'm a Jehovah's Witness." My mother never had any other answer. But it doesn't stop jws from accepting the day off, eating the same foods, getting together with jw family and friends and not have their conscience bother them

*** rs p. 182 Holidays ***

What Bible principles explain the viewpoint of Christians toward ceremonies commemorating events in a nation’s political history?

John 18:36: “Jesus answered [the Roman governor]: ‘My kingdom is no part of this world.’”

John 15:19: “If you [Jesus’ followers] were part of the world, the world would be fond of what is its own. Now because you are no part of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, on this account the world hates you.”

1 John 5:19: “The whole world is lying in the power of the wicked one.” (Compare John 14:30; Revelation 13:1, 2; Daniel 2:44.)

Other local and national holidays

There are many. Not all can be discussed here. But the historical information provided above gives indications as to what to look for in connection with any holiday, and the Bible principles already discussed supply ample guidance for those whose foremost desire is to do what is pleasing to Jehovah God.

*** sj p. 21 Holidays and Celebrations ***National Holidays

Other holidays are somewhat different in nature. These are not so universally celebrated, but may be unique to a particular country. For example, there may be national days of thanksgiving. In some places there may also be a certain day set aside to memorialize a nation’s war dead, or a day to remember the birth of a country or certain prominent presidents, rulers or national heroes.

Jehovah’s Witnesses also respectfully refrain from participating in such national holidays. Though we respect the authorities in whatever country we may reside, for conscientious reasons we do not give them what we view as worshipful honors. We remain neutral toward all such celebrations. This is in keeping with Jesus’ words regarding his followers: “They are no part of the world, just as I am no part of the world.”—John 17:16.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

Because they're too busy working the territory on a day when most people will be at home. I drove past a KH on the way to the grocery store this morning, and there were cars parked in the lot. We know they weren't there for a special Thanksgiving worship service. We know they aren't helping make dinner for the homeless shelter. We know they won't get a warm reception from many of the people they disturb today. But to show their loyalty to the WTBTS, they go out there, getting in their hours on a holiday. I pity them!

• mind blown
    mind blown

it was those bastard Pilgrams who bible banged the Injins to death.............oh, not to mention desease and slaghter......

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

Because the WT presidents or governing body never read Romans 14:3-6. Which pretty much says do not look down on what people eat nor what days a man may choose as above another (to celebrate). Each person is personally accountable to God themself. If a person observes a day, they do it to God, if they eat, they do it to God. So stop judging other people and mind your own business.

• Pondering
    Pondering

Here's the story according to: Awake! November 8, 1969, p. 6:

"But is it really necessary for them to have a national holiday officially proclaimed by the president in order to express thanksgiving to God? If they feel that they have received blessings and bounties from him, why thank him only one day out of the year?" (In other words, if you celebrate Thanksgiving, that must mean you don't seriously give thanks or count your blessings on any other day.)

p. 7:

"Does it seem reasonable for a person who gives the Almighty God undefiled worship as instructed in his written Word to join unbelievers in observing a religious holiday? There are not only atheists but many who worship man-made gods of wood and stone who celebrate Thanksgiving Day. How could a true Christian have religious fellowship with such persons and still expect to be acceptable in the eyes of the true God?" (In other words, because some atheists and people who worship gods who are not THE God happen to celebrate Thanksgiving, you'll become "unevenly yoked" with them just by inviting all your relatives to a turkey dinner on Thanksgiving.)

It's all very silly.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

It is a day to do field circus while everyone is home. You also would spend 6-8 hours preparing Thanksgiving dinner, instead of doing field circus or reading washtowel littera-trash. The turkey costs money that would otherwise go into the Worldwide Pedophile Defense Fund. How much is spent on treats that day? And, it is another chance for the Washtowel to make people afraid of normal activities.

Besides, it is fun. Granted, nowhere near as much as Halloween and Christmas. But, they see fit to take away every last crumb of fun. So, why not abolish Thanksgiving for this reason?

• ÁrbolesdeArabia
    ÁrbolesdeArabia

It's appears cool to get drunk at personal Witness gatherings, and gossip about weaklings, but eating Turkey is too close to "straining the knat" while beer bonging the Camel down"

"http://defendingjehovahswitnesses.blogspot.com/2011/11/why-dont-jehovahs-witnesses-formally.html#

"Why JWs don't celebrate Thanksgiving can be traced to ancient Christians not partaking in Roman national days of tribute."

"How Should Modern-day Christians View The Traditional Thanksgiving Dinner?

What about buying a turkey, which is on sale, and making a turkey dinner on that day?

Some may choose to take advantage of this opportunity to enjoy fellowship with family and friends. Yet, what "spirit" will a Christian manifest? It is true that God created turkeys and other foods, so these are not in themselves objectionable. But undoubtedly one who is a true Christian will want to be careful not to stumble others.

Consider what the apostle Paul says, as recorded at 1 Cor. 10. He reasons that Christians should wisely avoid eating before others a perfectly acceptable food if doing so would stumble them. 'Respect your brother's conscience' is the message.

For more information, see the following reference and/or click on the following links:"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit