Atheists and Theists... what do you want from us?

by tec 69 Replies latest jw friends

• tec
    tec

On topic: As an atheist I would like theists to stop trying to make the entire world follow their rules. We don't all believe the same thing, the fact that a woman can't get an abortion, or I can't buy alcohol on Sunday because it's against someone elses religion is ridiculous.

As a person of faith, I 100% agree with you. I don't want to live by someone else's rules either... and imposing them on anyone else actually goes entirely against my faith. Complete separation between church and state for me. . However, and I see that Tal beat me to it, I did mean what do you want from the atheists/theists on this board. Relating to discussion, because this is a discussion board. I was not clear in my OP though... totally my fault, but maybe even a good thing, for discussion on that as well. Sometimes our perspective is quite limited, and we don't realize that other people of faith (or non-faith) are not the same as the ones we have experience with. I had to change my view on atheists after coming to this board, and finding that some did not meet the 'stereotypes' that I had accepted. So that is a GOOD thing. . Peace, tammy

• elderelite
    elderelite

So we got Thor day (thursday ) and KFC day (actual day of the week to be determined) and a shared KFC/cold beer/single malt scotch day. I feel real progress is being made!

• talesin
    talesin

Well, I just think Moon was better than what he ended up with (kinda like the awesome character actors who never get the 'star' label), but point taken.

I will have to take in a game, to check this young feller out. :P

tal

• elderelite
    elderelite

There is something to that tal. I should revise.... Moon had a very long carer (thats never an accident) and really was quiet prolific. I didnt mean to down play him as a QB so much as got caught up in "championships" thinking. I hope RG3 dosent end up as a great QB on average teams, i hope for results of monatana/young, great QB on great winning teams :)

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

Calgary and Toronto are in the Grey Cup and I'm going.

• elderelite
    elderelite

Ok now im lost palmie....

• ziddina
    ziddina
    "Atheists and Theists... what do you want from us?"

"Us"? After atheists and theists, who the heck's left? Pagans???

standing stones

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Dignity.

" The Ten Essential Elements of Dignity

Acceptance of Identity. Approach people as being neither inferior nor superior to you. Give others the freedom to express their authentic selves without fear of being negatively judged. Interact without prejudice or bias, accepting the ways in which race, religion, ethnicity, gender, class, sexual orientation, age, and disability may be at the core of the other people’s identities. Assume that others have integrity.

Inclusion.Make others feel that they belong, whatever the relationship—whether they are in your family, community, organization, or nation.

Safety.Put people at ease at two levels: physically, so they feel safe from bodily harm, and psychologically, so they feel safe from being humiliated. Help them feel free to speak without fear of retribution.

Acknowledgement.Give people your full attention by listening, hearing, validating, and responding to their concerns, feelings, and experiences.

Recognition.Validate others for their talents, hard work, thoughtfulness, and help. Be generous with praise, and show appreciation and gratitude to others for their contributions and ideas.

Fairness.Treat people justly, with equality, and in an evenhanded way according to agreed-on laws and rules. People feel that you have honored their dignity when you treat them without discrimination or injustice.

Benefit of the Doubt. Treat people as trustworthy. Start with the premise that others have good motives and are acting with integrity.

Understanding.Believe that what others think matters. Give them the chance to explain and express their points of view. Actively listen in order to understand them.

Independence.Encourage people to act on their own behalf so that they feel in control of their lives and experience a sense of hope and possibility.

Accountability.Take responsibility for your actions. If you have violated the dignity of another person, apologize. Make a commitment to change your hurtful behaviors.

Our desire for dignity resides deep within us, defining our common humanity. If our capacity for indignity is our lowest common denominator, then our yearning for dignity is our highest. And if indignity tears relationships apart, then dignity can put them back together again."

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2011/10/23/dignity-all-crave-it-so-why-are-do-keep-ignoring-it/?test=faces#ixzz2CdcohP9B

• tec
  • tec
    tec

That was one of the most beautiful and truthful reads I have had in some time. Thank you, mrsjones.

Peace,

tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit