What do you think of drawings like these?

by DeWandelaar 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DeWandelaar
    DeWandelaar

A long time ago the JW's published a book called "Humans in search of God" (translation of the dutch version so I am sorry if the title is not totally correct). I always remembered one sick drawing in it and it always made me wonder how this drawing could be used in one of their books.

WARNING: can be shocking to people who never saw it before!

Here it is:

Am I wrong to state that you are totally sick in your brain to even be WILLING to draw this (even though it happened for real once?)... What kind of person would even want to draw this :S

• perfect1
    perfect1

cant see it.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I remember it, There is a High Priest who just cut a guys heart out. The priest is holding the heart aloft. The victims is grey colored because of blood loss, and blood is running down the alter and the steps. It is a great bedtime story!

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

I use the argument that goes with the pic. Would you stay in a religion that did such things? Now put a twist to it: Would you remain in a religious organization that sacrifices its children? Yes, neither would I....

• Theocratic Sedition
    Theocratic Sedition

On this particular illustration, it doesn't bother me because it's something that history validates as having occurred. I do find disturbing the WT's depictions of Armageddon and the Great Tribulation. Leolia did a good thread on the various people that will die at Armageddon for absolutely no reason other than them not being JWs. The artist depictions in those settings disturbs me. I just don't understand how anyone can salivate in anticipation of good people dying in a horrific manner simply because they didn't agree with the WT's peculiar brand of Christianity. The other thing about those pictures that disturbs me is that they don't reach the heart because the pictures are designed to illicit fear. They ironic part is, right after seeing a picture of random good people dying, there's another picture of survivors who contributed pretty much nothing of value to society, those being JWs. One last thing on that note, like George Carlin said, "He loves you." referring to God. It's hard to think that God is loving if he's going to destroy a ton of people for their failure to recognize the WT as his chosen organization. That in itself is enough to make one go atheist.

To be fair to the WT artists, there's plenty of material out there in media that is just as graphic if not worse. Below is one of my favorite Transformer covers. The cover is true to what happens in the book too because MEgatron really does destroy "the fleshlings" as he calls them. One might make the argument that this illustration is just as sick as what the WT's presented, and the cover below is relatively tame compared to other comics I've seen throughout the years like Conan the Barbarian.

• james_woods
    james_woods

I think the coloration of the victim may be a little overdone -

Do people really turn that grey when their heart is cut out?

• notjustyet
    notjustyet

This act was performed back before they knew that the way to a mans heart is through his stomach.

NJY

• DeWandelaar
    DeWandelaar

Megatron's picture is not really cruel... besides... it is fictive of nature... it hasn;t happened nor will it ever happen (though in Transformers 3 he came very close!)...

The only reason I can think of WHY the WTS use illustrations like these is to put fear in the heart of us. I DO know it happened in the past... But hey: I am not making a drawing of people that are killed in a gaschamber either (even though it happened) ... I do not paint acts of raping or other sickness (even though these things occur even in historical point of view).

The fact that something is historical does not mean you have to paint it in a book that everyone WILL see... it is not even a historical PICTURE... it is a DRAWING and the thing with drawings is that you have to use your imagination! I can not understand why someone imagenes this into detail and puts it into a religious magazine/book that should have been encouraging! your Magazine is in a shop and I can choose to buy it or not... at a districtconvention you almost get it pressed into your stomach and you HAD to read it because it was given to you by the slave.

I, as a youngster at that time, was always very eager when a new publication came out (this one in 1990)... the fact that this image sticks in my brain is not because I love it... It is in my head because it shocked me to the core. And that is what they really want... to shock people this much so that they feel that every other movement is bad. Your magazine is not used for doctrine... but this lecture is.

See what I mean?

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Keep in mind that all Watchtower material will be exposed to children, as they have no separate study materials that are suitable to their age. If any child psychologists get aware of this horrific situation and get motivated about it enough to writa a book or get activated, then it will be a shite storm coming their way.

• panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

Do people really turn that grey when their heart is cut out?

Yes, James, they do turn gray. My mother was a very white woman and when I was called to the hospital because she was bleeding and had a card saying she would not take blood, she was confused and her color was gray. It was a terrible sight to see.Her kidneys failed soon after she turned gray.

PHG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit