Devils Advocate-A Question for X-JW's

by apostate man 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Amazing
    Amazing

When I first left the religion, I still held to some of its beliefs, and discounted others as unimportant or harmless. As the years elapsed, now ten and counting, I find that there is less and less positive about the religion, and more and more negative.

The only belief I have at the moment that still agrees with the JWs, is that there is no literal hellfire. I have found that a large number of Christians do not accept literal hell fire either. So, I don't need the JWs to help me out with that one doctrine.

As far as I am concerned, if the Watchtower religion went out of business tomorrow, it would be no loss to society at large. It would be barely missed or noticed. Sadly, there would be plenty to takes its place.

Following Bible principles, we will avoid trying to live - or demand others to live - by an extensive and rigid set of dos and don'ts that go beyond the teachings of the Bible. The Watchtower, 4-15-02, pg 22, pp 15

• speechless
    speechless

On a religious aspect, during my final years as a JW I began to observe and compare the organization as a modern day Pharisees and Sadducees. In short, they teach that a relationship with God is all about works and appearance - something Jesus rebuked! Also, their constant belittling of so-called apostates by advocating THEIR words as "truth" is contrary to the words of Jesus, namely "*I* am the the way, and the truth, and the life" (John 14:6).

On a social aspect, during my tenure as a JW I always felt suspicious of my relations with other JWs. Everyone, including myself, was constantly trying to demonstrate their good works before others. When somebody stumbled there wasn't open arms but, rather, ridicule (sometimes public) and the all-to-often mentioned act of shunning. The mindset gets even more ludicrous when you factor their unwillingness to associate with the "evil world". They honestly believe NOBODY can do good works outside the organization!

The "standard" which led myself to freedom was a triune of logic, reason, and common sense!

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

I think the Watchtower is correct on quite a few theological points. Such as the Trinity & Hellfire. I'm not too convinced the interpret the 144,000 correctly, though. I take the number literal too, but believe they will be here on earth.

What I do find sad about JWs and the Trinity is that, in my estimation, the average JWs is woefully ill prepared to justify their stance on the Trinity, other than digging out Watchtower literature.

If God's Spirit is filling a Kingdom Hall, how is it that Satan can manuever the ones within that Kingdom Hall at the same time?

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

I would ask myself...is there any good in Osama Bin Laden's cause?? Does the good outweight the bad in his case? Lives have been slaughtered in the name of god...what's the difference?? The WT has also slaughtered.

Beck

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

I'm grateful to Jws for introducing me to the Bible. I still have a love for it, but read it independently of Watchtower literature explaining it to me. I still adhere to their anti-war stance, but have gone even further by taking a pacifistic stand. I have gone from an anti-Trinitarian viewpoint to a belief in it. I still don't smoke, do drugs or get drunk. I no longer oppose blood transfusions
    and celebrations of holidays. I still admire the zeal of Jws, although I feel much of it is misguided (too much stress on quotas).

Now I would love to reverse the question. What is it that JW's like about x-jws? What is it that Jw's like about Catholics, Protestants, non-Christian religions? Do they find a common ground with these groups?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit