Devils Advocate-A Question for X-JW's

by apostate man 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

"As every one knows, there are mistakes in the Bible" - The Watchtower, April 15, 1928, p. 126
    Believe in yourself, not mythology.
    <x ><

• 2SYN
    2SYN

Well we have to give them this, they did get a coupla things right. But then, most serious religions do.

"...the greater will be the beneficial effect, because you get more of the ultra-violet rays, which are healing" - The Golden Age
    [SYN], UADA
    - Unseen Apostate Directorate of Africa.

• apostate man
    apostate man

Thanks for the info. I don't count "murder" and "stealing" as being legitimate responses because these are widely taught and are not morally or legally acceptible. I do like the "stop smoking" post and the "war" post.

It's not so bad to finish second, because the other guy finished second to last. -A.M.
  • Bodhisattva
    Bodhisattva

"A little leaven leavens the whole lump." Therefore if you find a religion that (a) claims to be entirely and uniquely true and (b) teaches ungodly ideas, such as shunning or dying for a misunderstood and obsolete dietary restriction, then the religion is false.

Of course if you realize that there is no one true religion, but in fact that religion is made for man, and not man for religion, then you are welcome to take part in the religion of your choice, or in none at all. Unless that religion insists that you must believe it entirely - not even harboring unspoken doubts - in which case it is clearly not the place for enlightened individuals.

A God who can't get by without our worship is not worthy of it. No just God would require us to pick one church as flawless when all are flawed, and then punish us for not picking the right one.

Bodhisattva - Please, guys, tell me how to join the UADNA

• ChakkaConned
    ChakkaConned

Okay, I'll bite..
    I had to dig deep but there are a couple of things I gained from associating with the JW's. 1. I learned all of the books of the bible in a rather short amount of time. I was impressed with how fast they could find the scriptures and felt imbarrased that I had no clue about the bible other than John 3:16. After studying awhile, I became a quick flipper like them :) 2. For some reason, I took comfort in the fact that I could travel anywhere in the world and if I had car trouble or any kind of trouble, I could call the local KH and get help. I never really put that to the test but I believed that I could and felt that made JW's exceptional.
    That's pretty much it..
    CC

• Dutchie
    Dutchie

The WBTS teaches morality and they make sure that you stay moral. So your conscience is not allowed to develope its own moral system. Oh, no, the witnesses do it for you. They other members are instructed to spy on you and consider it their duty to report any indiscretion to the elders. You are told over and over again that God's people are moral and to gain favor with God and the organization we must fight all urges. If you do slip and commit an immorality, they have a whole decision making court in place for to appear before to let you know if you are good enough to continue being a witnesses. Oh, yeah, I guess there are some good things about the witnesses....

• ConnieLynn
    ConnieLynn

I can only see one thing that I learned being a witness...

1.) I have learned that when that little voice in my stomach says
    something isn't right....I should always listen to that.

As far as doctrine goes..

I don't believe in a burning hell..

• Pureheart
    Pureheart

Hello Apostate Man. Check out this scenario.

You see a beautiful house in a well to do neighborhood. They are considered middle class.
    The family living inside is model citizens. Wife chooses to stay home and take care of the families comforts and needs. Father is a blue-collar worker, very efficient in the workplace, an employee any business owner would pay top dollar to have. The children in the home are well-mannered model children in the neighborhood and have high respect for parents.
    Father comes home from work. Neighbors see him get out of his nice modest clean car in his nice uncrumpled suit, walk up his clean and immaculate driveway, and enter his house. His loving wife gives him a kiss and says, “dinner will be ready in 20 minutes”. The family later gathers around the table and eats a very balanced meal. Afterwards each one does his and her duties and then goes off in their different directions to take care of end of the day matters. Mother have time to sit down in her comfortable area for a few minutes before getting children ready for bed and reflects.”I am so lucky”. My husband and me have raised our children to be responsible citizens. They are obedient and loving. Oh it takes a lot of hard work to keep them that way but they respond. My husband loves all of us and is a good provider. Life is good!” Later everyone is tucked away in bed for the night.
    Wife is in bed waiting for hubby, hubby gets in beside her and gives her a tender peck on the cheek and says goodnight honey and turns over and falls to sleep. Wife smiles to herself and thinks, he is so tired. Then wife falls asleep.
    An hour later hubby gets up out of bed and proceeds to leave he and his wife's bedroom. He proceeds down the hallway to one of his little girl’s room, goes inside quietly and does what he has been doing since she was 3 years old. Sexually molesting her.

Now if you had asked his wife and his other children earlier that day how they would describe this man, what would they say?

1. He is a good father because he provides well for us, physically, spiritually, and mentally.
    2. He always takes us to recreational activities.
    3. He loves us.
    4. He teaches us moral values and make sure that we make the right choices.
    5. He disciplines us when we need it.
    6. He supports our education.

The little daughter that is being molested of course feels the same way, because she is too young yet to fully comprehend what is happening to her.

To answer your question; “just because someone does many right things does not mean that they are good and right about all things.

Pureheart

• YYHWH
    YYHWH

They do have one thing that I felt was somewhat unique. They do display a lot of love among themself. Now do not be mistaken, that love is very very conditional. As long as you are doing what is deemed as the most you can do in the organization, if you ever have a crises in your life you can bet your bottom doller there will be more help there for you then you can imagine.

Of course they take the scripture about loving your neighbor to mean your brothers and sisters.

If you are not one of them you can forget about any real love being shown to you.

After all have you ever seen any JW Soup Kitchens. NA. How about any Battered Women Shelters? NA again.

So I guess the scripture about taking care of widows and orphans only apply if they are dubs.

And the parrable about the Good Samartian also only applys if they are Dubs.

Yes it is a very conditional love that does not cross many borders.

• new boy
    new boy

BON'T THROUGH THE BABY OUT WITH THE BATH WATER,ANY PART OF ANY RELIGON THAT IMPROVES YOU IS GOOD. IF PART OF THE J.W.S IMPROVED YOU, BLESS THAT PART AN LEAVE THE REST. USE THAT AS THE BASE TO YOUR SPIRITUAL EVOLUTION. WE LEARN BY OUR MISTAKES, AS MUCH IF NOT MORE THEN OUR VICTORY'S.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit