Iesous Xristo real name, not Jesus

by Jaime l de Aragon 68 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Jaime l de Aragon
    Jaime l de Aragon

NO No Theos does not mean God is a big mistake, comes from word god Zeus, as well indicates the wikipedia and many sources

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

You seriously want to argue that theos does not mean "god" and it comes from the genitive of "Zeus"? And you claim that this is supported by sources?

The only sources that could possibly claim that would be as confused (or crank) as you are.

I have never seen anyone making claims about Greek who is as utterly hopelessly confused as you are.

Every single lexicon in existence gives "god" as the (usually first) rendering for theos.

• Jaime l de Aragon
    Jaime l de Aragon

Above is a picture, you can see clearly Theos not God, Theos and word God, -no-is - the-same

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

No, that picture shows no such thing. LOL

Please explain to me how that picture demonstrates that theos does not mean "god".

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Lemme guess, your native language is Spanish?

• Jaime l de Aragon
    Jaime l de Aragon

As seen in the text, different expressions for Theos θεοi , the zeus Δiα

Deus (Latin pronunciation: de??s] ]) is Latin for "god" or "deity". Latin deus and divus "divine", are descended from Proto-Indo-European *deiwos, from the same root as *Dyeus, the reconstructed chief god of the Proto-Indo-European pantheon. Compare Greek Zeus (Ζε?ς zdeús; Aeolic Greek Δε?ς deús)

• Jaime l de Aragon
    Jaime l de Aragon

Yes, my language Spanish, me closer to the concept of the words that the English because Spanish has Latin origin

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    As seen in the text, different expressions for Theos θεοi, the zeus Δiα

And there's that passage from Acts I mentioned before that the Spanish website referred to.

Yes, these are different expressions. Duh. Theos is the word for "god", Dia here is a form of "Zeus". Different expressions, different words. Why are you trying to create an issue when there isn't one?

Theos meant "god". That picture like the other one you posted doesn't show that theos did not mean "god". The Greek word for "god" (which is what?) did not come from "Zeus" either.

Deus (Latin pronunciation: de??s] ]) is Latin for "god" or "deity". Latin deus and divus "divine", are descended from Proto-Indo-European *deiwos, from the same root as *Dyeus, the reconstructed chief god of the Proto-Indo-European pantheon. Compare Greek Zeus (Ζε?ς zdeús; Aeolic Greek Δε?ς deús)

And?

You do realize this is Latin? Latin is not Greek. We are talking about the Greek word theos, not Latin deus.

The etymology of theos:

From Proto-Indo-European *d?(e)h1s- . Cognate with Phyrigian δεως ( deos , “ to the gods ” ) and probably Old Armenian ??? ( dik? , “ pagan gods ” ) and Latin feriae ( “ festival days ” ) , fanum ( “ temple ” ) and festus ( “ festive ” ) .

Alternative suggestions connect it to *d?ewh2- ( “ to rise in smoke ” ) , whence also Ancient Greek θυμ?ς ( thumos ) .

Despite the superficial similarity, the word is not related to Latin deus .

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%CE%B8%CE%B5%CF%8C%CF%82#Etymology

Notice that last bit. It's not connected to Latin deus. So why are you talking about it?

Yes, my language Spanish, me closer to the concept of the words that the English because Spanish has Latin origin

Latin is not Greek, Latin is not Greek, Latin is not Greek.

I would say that your language is leading you astray because dios (< deus) is Spanish for "god" and it is the same form as the dios you mentioned earlier that is a form of the word for "Zeus". But even deus was not "Zeus"; it was the word for "god" in Latin. And Greek, well, that's ..... a different language.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

You still haven't posted anything that shows that theos did not mean "god".

You haven't explained why you drop the final -s in Χριστος while combining it with "Iesous".

And you still think that the letter "x" corresponds to chi.

• NOLAW
    NOLAW
    And even the Greek form Ièsous modifies the name to adapt it to Greek phonology and spelling. So "I" is used because Greek lacks a letter corresponding to Hebrew yod. Similarly, there is no sound in Greek for /š/, represented by Hebrew shin, so the closest thing /s/ is used. And nothing in Greek corresponds to an `ayin, so that letter is dropped entirely. Then, in order for the name to behave grammatically in Greek, a final inflection is added to the name (the final /s/ when it occurs in the nominative).

Technically correct but practically irrelevant as the gospels were written in Greek and Jesus spoke in Greek. Interenstingly the Greek equivalent to YHWH is Iaon (God of the rain) from which stems the western Jehovah.

-

You failed to quote the previous line:

Alternative suggestions connect it to *d?ewh2- ( “ to rise in smoke ” ) , whence also Ancient Greek θυμ?ς ( thumos ) .

Where does smoke rise to?

From *d?¯os , from Old Latin deiuos , from Proto-Indo-European *deiwós (cf. Welsh duw , Lithuanian dievas , Persian ??? ( div ) ‘demon’), o-stem derivative from *di??us ‘sky; sky-god’ (compare Latin dies , Welsh dydd ), from *dei- ‘to shine’. Doublet of divus ; related to Iupiter .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit