Flirting with going Vegetarian, anyone of you ever graduate from simply thinking about it?

by Theocratic Sedition 38 Replies latest jw friends

• DarioKehl
    DarioKehl

I did it in 7th grade. And I'll be honest, I did it 100% for the attention, not for health or animal rights reasons. I just wanted to be noticed. After a few months, I passed out in choir class and my Dr determined that I was anemic. If you do this, make sure you get enough iron.

• DarioKehl
    DarioKehl

Just don't be the annoying kind that makes meat eaters feel defensive. I cannot STAND that. And don't be like a typical C.O. or D.O. with a funky diet that your friends always have to accomodate. If you go to someone's house, bring your own veggies--don't make the host feel obligated to cook 2 meals (one just for you and another for everyone else). I have a few JW relatives who are "vocal vegetarians" (all of them female) and my mom is rather irritated by them. She swears it's because JW women are treated so crappily in the bOrg that vocal vegetarianism is one area where they can feel like they have some sense of control. You know the kind I'm talking about--we all know people like that. I call them the "look at ME!" vegetarians. And I'd like to punch each one in the jaw.

• I quit!
    I quit!

I know what you are saying Dario but also notice here that those who eat meat are rubbing their meat eating in the face of someone who is just thinking about going vegetarian. I see this all the time. I think most people don't want to think about where their meat comes from. Look up gestation crates and you'll get an idea of how these animals are abuse before they show up nicely packaged in the supermarket. It is a far cry from the methods used a hundred years ago or by a hunter whose prey is living a normal, probably happy existance up till the moment it is killed.

• oldlightnewshite
    oldlightnewshite

I'm virtually veggie now. I say that because we have to keep meat in the house as we have 3 dogs. (they won't eat tinned meat, and it ends up in the trash). I just eat mainly veggie for health reasons. I also don't eat bread or pasta, as it just bloats you up. I eat lots of potatoes, beans, chickpeas etc. Lots of curries, salads, fish, eggs, cheese.... I also take a multivitamin supplement, cod liver oil/hemp oil and slow release vitamin C. I'm in my early forties, and feel pretty good health-wise. No different to my twenties.

If you want to stay veggie, and don't want to fall of the wagon- STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM BACON. I know lots of other veggies who treat it like kryptonite.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

some good advice here especially from What Now about having a veggie day once a week at home, I have definitely cut back on meat mainly due to the poor quality that we seem to get in the UK these days, sausages are completely out, rarely eat steak, the KFC and the many substandard Fried Chicken places are a definite no no. Indian food has excellent veggie choices if I eat that I'll go for channa dish with aloo and a mushroom pilau and a garlic naan, pasta dishes are easy and tasty to make, Chinese food is a let down for veggies, and I wouldn't eat tufu unless I was desperate, I can safely say I haven't eaten a McShite in many a years and am never hopefully never going to, although I like a burger and in the UK we are starting to see more top quality burger places open , not fast food though, everything in moderation though, but why make yourself a focus of attention in being a veggie?

• blondie
    blondie

I had a vegetarian week once a month. It was easier to shop and plan for 7 days than just one. Collect recipes. Remember though it does not include fish and poultry, but dairy and eggs (vegan leave that out).

• ziddina
    ziddina

Oddly enough, Blondie, there are 'vegetarian' categories that include consumption of fowl and fish...

Called "Pico" vegetarianism and "Pollo" vegetarianism, respectively.

Please - don't ask me about it. Those two categories make no sense to me, either.

• Thetis
    Thetis

I haven't eaten red meat for more than twenty years now.....probably consider myself a pescetarian who lapses now and again and eats chicken. The best decision I made was to join a vegetarian cooking course run by The Brahma Kumaris Centre (hope this never gets out). An Indian lady who is a fourth generation vegetarian taught us the most amazing dishes....including tofu! I even managed to fool hubby with adding tofu into a curry dish. I have many recipies and tips on vegetarianism. I also take loads of vitamins....and yes I am normal and don't look like anything they have sent you.LOL. You can check on facebook.

• blondie
    blondie

Vegetable chicks and vegetable fish, hmmm.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit