Flirting with going Vegetarian, anyone of you ever graduate from simply thinking about it?

by Theocratic Sedition 38 Replies latest jw friends

• Theocratic Sedition
    Theocratic Sedition

It's just a thought right now, but one of those thoughts where I have that itch. It's that same itch felt before I purchase something major. I'm just wondering what I might be getting into based upon others experiences in this regard. Right now the thought is transitioning to a point where the only meats I would eat would be fish. Any advice? Experiences? Any failures? Success stories?

• mythreesons
    mythreesons

I cut back when I can ... but I just love a good steak. So for me it's mainly eat more healthy veggies and less burgers. ;)

• james_woods
    james_woods

I am fascinated - you say you are flirting with a going vegatarian.

Do you have any pictures of her?

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I`ve never seen a healthy looking Vegetarian..

They need some KFC..

............................. ...OUTLAW

• Theocratic Sedition
    Theocratic Sedition

lol, you guys aren't very encouraging.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

LOL!!@ Miz!!..

Try being a vegetarian for a few days..

Then walk past a KFC or a Steak House..

......................... ...OUTLAW

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Are you going vegetarian, or VEGAN, or just trying to eat more veggies? I have to tell you, unless you are rich and can have a chef make your food for you, going vegetarian will be hard. It will be difficult to get the right balance of nutrients. Also, there is no end of wack-jobs trying to get your money with the latest diets/supplements. If you have health issues and want to switch things up, try jucing for a day or two to give your system a break. There used to be a free nutritional typing test at Dr.Mercola.com. I tried it because I had already paid money to see a nutritionalist and I was curious. It was almost exactly the info I paid for. You may not need to go off meat entirely. You may just need to limit what types you eat. Some of the worst physical specimens I have ever seen are VEGANS, be careful. Think of it this way, even with exceptional health you are still gonna die. You can spend tons of cash and constantly worry about everything you eat and make youself miserable, and still live around 80 yrs. Or you can just be balanced and still have about the same life expectancy. So what are your reasons for a dietary change? If it's a quality of life issue then do what you can to take care of yourself. I feel best with good quality steak and veggies, and limiting anything with gluten. If I feel a little sluggish, I think about what I have been eating, and switch it up for a few days. Also, if you are not hungry don't eat! Listen to your body.

• What Now?
    What Now?

Vegetarian - old indian word for bad hunter.

Haha just kidding. Actually I've been vegetarian/sometimes vegan for a while now. It's not that hard. Although I do confess to eating the odd slice of bacon now and then...

Have you watched the documentary "Forks Over Knives"? It'll change your life.

To start, try becoming an "at home" vegetarian. Meaning, only eat meat when you go out for dinner or are at someone's house, if at all. There's great vegetarian options at most retaurants though.

But there's so many awesome recipes for at home. For example, tonite we're eating enchiladas stuffed with red peppers, zucchini, black beans and feta cheese with a zesty tomato sauce - yum!

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Outlaw's comment aside, I was almost a vegetarian for about 5 or 6 years. I say "almost" because I could never get my now-ex-wife on board. (But that was also true about a lot of things, hence the EX status ... but I digress.)

Interestingly, I later found out during this same time that 3 out of 4 of my brothers and sisters went vegan. We all did it without any discussion amongst ourselves.

I learned a lot about healthy eating in the process. Yet there are some essential nutrients that are difficult to obtain with a completely vegan diet. Supplements help but they really don't quite cut it, unless (so I'm told) you are super strict in your diet. At that point it just becomes too much work.

A few years ago I started dating my Hungarian Love Goddess. Hungarians are for the most part carnivores. Outlaw would be proud. It was a struggle for us at first to balance our diets but we eventually did it.

Now we have what I think is a very healthy balanced diet. We eat meat but not every day. Even then we are very particular about the quality and cuts of meat. We enjoy fish (mostly salmon, tilapia and swordfish), shrimp, chicken, turkey and even red meat about once a week.

It works for us.

00DAD

• 00DAD
    00DAD

BTW, if you want I can supply you with some really delicious vegetarian recipes that will satisfy most carnivores.

You gotta' ask though.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit