JAN 2013 SHUNNING ARTICLE COULD MEAN JWS NOT AS OBEDIENT

by steve2 32 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cobaltcupcake
    cobaltcupcake

In my former cong an elder's daughter (who was middle aged, mind you) committed adultery with an elder and both were DF'd, married each other, and moved to another state.

Fast forward a few months. The naughty couple come limping back to town, apparently in dire financial need, and are taken in by her elder father and mother who live in a very, very tiny apartment. I was shocked and offered my protests to my husband, also an elder, which fell on deaf ears.

Shortly, the naughty couple are reinstated and everyone's happy. No repercussions to the elder in question. Of course, he was a long-time JW who had served prison time during WWII for refusing military service, which apparently had rendered him bullet-proof.

http://scottleblog.wordpress.com/2012/09/11/shunning/

The Odd Life of Jehovah's Witnesses - Shunning

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Oh I've seen the different applicatrion of the rules when it came down to children of the elders. In my former congregation, A dughter of the PO was out for 10 years. She walks back into the cong, and in 30 days, 30 days, she's reinstated.

The shunning was never serious there in that household. I once visited that same elder in the hospital once for minor surgery, and the daughter was there, talking to everyone in the room and the Dad never even batted an eye.

So the WT has trouble in their house as I see just as many 'dubs talking to their df'd/DA'd relatives as the ones that go hardcore and clearly cut them off. It's never going to be absolute and if anything, it gives a clearer reason to leave that cult.

Yadda, I like your reasoning. I think even Jesus commented how doing things for your friends means nothing. Thieves do that

• steve2
    steve2

My verbalizing the stifling of a yawn was not intended to minimize the impact of the shunning policy. Rather it was to express how the predictable warnings in the Watchtower about contact with disfellowshipped individuals are...well, predictable. The whipping up of an emotional outcry about how the Watchtower is getting stricter implies it wasn't already strict or that it is tightening the screws. Firstly, look at all the warnings across the decades - apart from a seeping of humanity into the disfellowshipping policy in the early 1970s (I cite the Watchtower article on helping a disfellowshipped sister who has a flat tyre), it really is the same old same old. When the shunning policy is applied completely it is an act of unimaginable cruelty - which is why I believe it is not so completely applied as it once was - hence the regurgitation of a policy that were it applied strictly would see many, many witnesses disfellowshipped for still being in contact with disfellowshipped individuals (and this says nothing about the more clandestine contacts via email etc).

Besides, we have evidence on this forum that there is a rather less than zealous application of the shunning policy: Who here is ever surprised that supposed JWs in good standing post here??? Yet the one group JWs are told to be particularly avoidant of is "Apostates" .

My JW MIL only shuns those she wants to, but she never seems to get caught by the elders. Funny how there is a double standard and some of them pick and choose the rules they want to follow.

My observation as well Kristina1972. JWs take an incredibly selective approach to who they shun and how completely they enact it.

Not wanting to tread on anyone's toes - but risking doing just that - I submit that the completeness with which "JW families" enact the shunning policy has a lot to do with pre-existing relationships (i.e., the extent to which individuals in the families got on in the first place before the disfellowshipping). Briefly, it is easier shunning someone you had never particularly got along with or liked in the first place. It's much harder to completely shun someone you had a soft spot for and liked a lot. Simple fact of human nature. A similar view coiuld be expressed about marriages that are torn apart when one spouse is disfellowshipped for, say, apostasy. If the marriage was rocky beforehand, it sure as hell will be murder now. If a couple were warm and loving towards each other before the disfellowshipping, they'll weather it far better.

• Eustace
    Eustace

My verbalizing the stifling of a yawn was not intended to minimize the impact of the shunning policy. Rather it was to express how the predictable warnings in the Watchtower about contact with disfellowshipped individuals are...well, predictable.

Did they ever say not to even e-mail a DFed relative before?

Also, it just seems like these exhortations to shun the DFed even when they're close blood relatives have been coming more frequently since at least September 11th, 2011.

Considering this is probably the most disturbing, creepy and destructive aspect of the JW religion; this increasing frequency sure makes it seem like they're getting more strict and trying to push a crack-down onto JWs not following the policy.

Put it together with the GB just aggrandizing themselves by calling themselves the FDS, and I think I see a pattern with the leadership getting even more controlling, cruel, and in the habit of putting themselves on a par with God.

• Scott77
    Scott77

Please, may someone post a PDF version of that January 13 article. It might be helpful. Not all of us have that copy.

Scott77

• outsmartthesystem
    outsmartthesystem

I think the GB is definitely trying to tighten the grip. The problem is that if 6,999,999 respond by shunning their family.....that's not good enough for them. They want 7,000,000 to respond. So until they get full cooperation from the rank and file.....they will keep pounding away.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Controllers gotta' control

• Cinciguy74
    Cinciguy74

What is funny is that if my wife were ever DF or DA (unlikely to ever happen) I believe my MIL would likely still just go ahead and talk to her. I think my MIL is only in because my wife is. If I could just get them BOTH out...

• DubR
    DubR

"Not even emailing a DF or DA family member" means (when read by R&F) HEY CUT OFF ALL TIES WITH THEM. STOP IT! WE REALLY MEAN IT! My family still visits, financially supports, and texts me. I have heard horror stories (when I was a JW) of families proudly boasting of not communicating with their DF kids for decades. Majority are not so controlled. It will be interesting to see if my family's dynamics change in the coming months

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

I know two families where shunning happens. The results are so sad.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit