Neurosurgeon Has Near Death Experience

by metatron 78 Replies latest jw friends

• steve2
    steve2

Regardless of "professional" roles (e.g., neurosurgeon), one of the commonest mistakes we humans make is using our emotional experiences as "evidence" of what actually exists in "another" realm. Born-again Christians do it every day (e.g., "the Lord has personally revealed himself to me. I know he is true and real...etc. etc. ). Dime a dozen stuff.

I would expect, though, any "professional" worth their training and alleged expertise would at least temper their conclusions about their "powerful" "inner' experiences with a healthy dollop of educated caution - especially given the delirious ease with which humans in general are often under the spell of their emotional reasoning (e.g., wishful thinking, wanting to believe in the afterlife, etc).

There's nothing whatsoever wrong with beliefs and convictions in spiritual matters, but to draw upon one's claimed expertise in one area (e.g. neurosurgery) to make confident assertions about another area (NDEs) is pretty nigh unforgivable. It is simply one of the latest forms of "The Lord has spoken to me..."

In any other context we would declare such a man a narcissistic attention-seeker hellbent on promotion of his cherished beliefs with a ready eye to the mighty dollar: He already has a drooling readership of Christians willing to pay for his emerging "best seller".

My envy at the ballooning bank account almost has me stifling my cynical yawns.

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Xianthippe said:

I thougth neurosurgeons made a lot of money already. Also he's risking losing credibility with his peers and endangering his future career I would have thought.

There's no loss of credibility or negative effect on his career; most doctors aren't concerned with the damage to their reputation, only their reputation as perceived by those colleagues who generate their intra-professional referrals (most don't worry about what their COMPETITORS say: business is business). Most docs recognize another doc's PR campaings when they see them.

Remember, he's an American doctor, too, and many hospitals are owned and run by churches. Faith-based religions are big in the US vs other countries.

Aside from insurance issues directing patients to a particular provider (who's on their panel), he's not likely to be hurt by being perceived by patients as being driven by his faith: in fact, that's a practice BUILDER, where the old blue-haired little ladies WANT a doctor who believes like they do, where they read his book, etc. Media doctors are a big deal nowadays.

(heck, I know doctors who simply go along with their faith as a member of the church fully-aware of the benefits of having built-in clientele (eg Mormon doctors who see Mormon patients, etc. Maybe not as relevant for a neurosurgeon, but certainly is a factor for a primary-care provider).

The 'smoking gun' to me was when I saw the book being sold by Simon and Schuster = $$$$

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I think NDE be recognized as another form of consciousness, or an altered consciousness or another form of experience like taking ayhuasca, mescaline, LSD, research chemicals(haveing done a lion's share of these myself). Ayhuasca is known as vine of the dead, so perhaps some these may also give a mystical experience sometimes similar to NDE.

To say what is reality it is hard to say now with quantum theories use the possibly of 12 or so dimentions (some unseen) but needed to make better consistant calculations of what these sub atomic particles are all about.

So to take someone's visions as literal, well you see we have this human measurement problem, going on in the quantum world and our limited awareness, which is a quantum world were consciousness and unconsciousness reside. We are all ghosts in the machine after all.

I'm thinking: Perhaps there is a mechanism in the psyche that can organize data in the psyche and give a vision that may have profound meaning to the psyche of that indivdual and so perhaps of comunication from the self that neutralize by a trencendant funcion all opposites and sort of reorganizes the whole psyche structure.

Jung seemed to have the idea that at death a complete neutralization of all opposites occure and I think the person may have been in the begining processes Maybe the Tibetan book of the dead may shed some light on the subject. That my idea or veiw of it which i don't defend because my ideas are not set in stone.

http://www.improverse.com/ed-articles/matthew_clapp_1997_feb_jung_column.htm

http://www2.lib.virginia.edu/exhibits/dead/otherworld.html

• frankiespeakin
  • still thinking
    still thinking

I watched from 21 min frankie...and she suggests that the experience probably happens just after loss of consciousness and again just before conscousness is resumed. Which makes sense to me.

When you think about it, why wouldn't it happen at that time? Why would it be more likely to happen when the brain was not functioning properly?

I've heard it said that people who are drowning have their life flash before their eyes...I don't know how true that is. But it makes sense to me when there is a lack of oxygen or some other brain misfunction that the subconscious would try to make sense of what is happening in some way. Especially when it comes to something you may want to believe.

Sometimes our dream function is thinking problems through. How many times have you 'slept on' something only to wake up feeling like you have solved a problem. Or are able to look at a problem differently. Our brains try to make sense of what is happening in our lives and give us answers based on knowledge that has been collected during our lives. Sometimes subconsciously. It doesn't seem at all far fetched that our brain would give us a Heavenly experience as it is in a state of near death. Wouldn't most of us like that experience? Wouldn't it make us feel better? A sort of self soothing maybe?

• sizemik
    sizemik

Brain chemistry is pretty kick-arse as I understand it. I've had my own issues with it, as plenty have, and it only needs a relatively minor imbalance to induce major behavioural changes, mood swings, audial and visual hallucination, mental illness, etc. Many of these can be mitigated or even eliminated by changing the chemistry back again through a course of therapy and/or meds.

I guess my point is . . . if even relatively minor imbalances in brain chemistry produce these tangible changes, imagine the cocktail swimming around the comatose brain? . . . it's gone to DEFCON 1 as a bottom-line survival reaction. Of course you're going to tour the universe.

• designs
    designs

When I was drinking I would travel to many places I know not where...

• lohengren
    lohengren

Just a dude trying to sell a book.

• steve2
    steve2

The need to believe in something "Greater" than oneself often overrides caution and common sense.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit