Femine supplies advice help needed

by jws 43 Replies latest social family

• jws
    jws

I'm divorced and I have a daughter who is nearly 11. Last year she watched a video in school covering upcoming body changes (which she already knew about). But one suggestion they gave that I didn't think of was to go get femine supplies and be prepared for when the time comes. I like being prepared ahead of time for emergencies. I don't want to go out shopping for femine supplies after she starts. I want supplies at home and some she can take along with her in her backpack to school. But I don't know what to get for an 11-year-old.

I've asked the ex a few times about this and only get the response, "oh, there's plenty of time to worry about that". Well, I've noticed some of the girls in my daughter's class this year are starting to develop and now I'm worried. There may not be plenty of time and my ex keeps blowing it off.

Quite frankly, I never really paid attention to all that stuff my ex used. I know she used pads and I don't ever recall seeing tampons. I don't know if one or the other is better for starting off or to have both on hand and what products/sizes are best for an 11-year-old that's also on the petite and short side.

So what's the right starter stuff to get? And what brand? Specifics are best if you can provide them.

• Diest
    Diest

Someone will help you....I cant.

• milola
    milola

I would start her off with pads. Not a heavy duty but just for a light to medium flow. It has been years since I had to worry about such stuff but even when I needed them they were individually compactly descetely packaged. They make a tampon that is small for younger users but that is not something you are going to want to explain how to use when her emotions are going to be through the roof. I would leave that method for a discussion between her mom and her unless she specifically ask you .

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Buy a pack of regular-size pads and keep them in a discreet place in her bedroom for her to access if she ever needs them when she's at your place.

And have newspaper or small plastic bags for her to wrap them in and a waste-bin in the toilet for her to put them in.

And you're a very caring Dad to be concerned about these things for her.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Yes I agree with the above and as for brands www.always.com should help you.

• Glander
    Glander

Over the years I was sent on supply runs for my wife and 3 daughters. I prefer the brand that's on sale.

Once there was a big display of Tampax with a sign that said "FREE". I asked the clerk if it was a gimmick, he said no strings attached. So I took 6 boxes.

We had 5 children X 9 months each = 45 months. We saved a fortune in products.

• NeverKnew
    NeverKnew

Sent a PM but maybe this can help others

Advice from a cheap but resourceful mom of a teenager who has not gone through menopause:

All of our bodies are different and have different preferences and ...uh... needs (sometimes we need longer items that get us through the night)

Visit the websites of as many manufacturers of these products as you can find. They'll be GLAD to send samples so your daughter can pick HER favorite. For a girl? It'll be like shopping when that time comes! :)

• CrimsonBleu
    CrimsonBleu

Pads, meduim, and no generic. Always is my favorite. This stuff is no fun for a young girl. It is embarrassing and they are extremely self conscious! The last thing she needs is a cheap pad leaking and stains in her clothes. Might want to get the kind with 'wings' till she is more experienced and can gauge her own flow. Wings protect the clothes better, but are a bit more work to position right for a young girl.

Might want to suggest she get some undies just for those days, since her pretty panties are apt to get ruined. Plain white cotton or even black which hides stains. All women have their 'period' underwear!

You really are a good dad. Gotta hand it to ya, sir. Bless you.

• loosie
    loosie

I would start off with pads. She will let you know later if she wants tampons. Get a zippered cosmetic case and stuff about 4 of them in there so she can keep in her locker at school or backpack, soem 11 yr olds don't want to carry a purse. As luck would have it the dang thing usually starts at school. oh and keep some Midol around... don't forget the chocolate.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Kinda unusual for a mother of an eleven year old girl to say you've got lots of time before you start worrying about that !

She should know that's around the age when "the curse" starts happening, well, at least you're there for her "feminine" issue JWS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit