RIP Andy Williams

by james_woods 28 Replies latest jw friends

• james_woods
    james_woods

I just read that singer Andy Williams is dead at 84.

“Moon river, wider than a mile, I’m crossing you in style, someday.”
    http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...old-dies-at-84 Wonder if Claudine Longet is still alive?

• Theocratic Sedition
    Theocratic Sedition

I saw that earlier this morning, never heard of him until seeing the news item earlier. Was he in the veins of a Sinatra or Tony Bennet?

• zeroday*
    zeroday*

Great singer I caught one of his shows in Reno years ago fantastic...

• james_woods
    james_woods

I don't think we can rank him with Sinatra, but definately up there with Tony Bennett.

He used to have a TV variety show.

In later life, he pretty much kept Branson, Missouri alive as a tourist destination single-handedly.

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

According to my aunt and uncle (who was a DO many years ago...late 50s early 60s on the west coast) Andy Williams was once a JW. They knew him well, apparently.

Coffee

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

RIP, my huckleberry friend.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Now that is interesting, Coffee_Black.

I never heard that JW story, and he was most popular back when I was still in the JWs.

Anybody else heard that he was once a JW?

BTW - somebody made the smart remark on Ferrari board that we should respect him for being married to Claudine Longet and SURVIVING.

Just for that alone, if nothing else.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Fondly remembered as my mother's favorite singer, she used to watch his variety show on television faithfully.

Too bad they don't have those kind of variety shows any more, they were a nice form of relaxing and fun entertainment for all the family.

Now days in prime time its all about crime, murder and autopsies.

In the beginning years of television the value of a show was mostly based upon its entertainment value to the general public,

unfortunately the value of a show today is contained upon its apparent unrestrained shock value to create people to watch a show.

• Finkelstein
  • Glander
    Glander

Yeah, Fink. I grew up on '50's TV and watched what my folks watched. We had some afterschool shows, from Engineer Bill, Sheriff John or Captain Zoom. Also, a daily Roy Rogers or Gene Autry movie.

But in the evening it was Mom and Dad's programs, Andy Williams, Perry Como, Mitch Miller, Laurence Welk (I still watch his reruns!) Ed Sullivan, Groucho Marx, Red Skelton.

I agree, entertainment ain't what it used to be.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit