Is There a Such Thing as Progressive Understanding?

by Recovery 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    Is there such a thing as progressive understanding of God's will?

A leading question based on a false premise.

• Recovery
    Recovery

my question allows readers to state their reasons.for the yes or no response to the question. In fact cedar I am currently doing a tremendous amount of research, which includes not only 1100 pages of Ray Franz material but also examining and analyzing it. This thread is also apart of my research.

• Recovery
    Recovery

Nothing leading about my question. And you might wanna look up what a false premise is because it definitely doesnt contain one.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

You presume there is a God , and therefore " He" has a "will". Two false premises, not one. From this base you expect a yes or no ?

• cedars
    cedars

Recovery

my question allows readers to state their reasons.for the yes or no response to the question. In fact cedar I am currently doing a tremendous amount of research, which includes not only 1100 pages of Ray Franz material but also examining and analyzing it. This thread is also apart of my research.

In that case, you have my apologies for the "blunt" tone of my response. I hope your research brings some interesting nuggets of truth to light.

Cedars

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Yes. The following is an example of what progressive understanding is NOT.

http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/resurrection.php

• BlindersOff1
    BlindersOff1

God is NOT communicating to them . Here is where they admit it

"Those who make up the one true Christian organization today do not have angelic revelations or divine inspiration. But they do have the inspired Holy Scriptures, which contain revelations of God's thinking and will." Jehovah's Witnesses - Proclaimers of God's Kingdom (1993) p.708

So how exactly do they get any NU Lite...................................thats right , they make it up.

• Recovery
    Recovery

thanks cedars. Anything specific chapter/subject wise you think i should spend more time on?

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

There is indeed such a thing as "progressive understanding" in fields such as medicine or science. And in fact, even some "truths" in these fields do teeter back and forth. Generally, these "truths" are proven by exhausting case studies, experimentation, and documented research that is published and then subjected to peer review and continual new reserch. Yet, even with this, there will be different "opinions" on things. (Bet you've gone to a doctor for a 2nd opinion!)

However, regarding an "understanding of God's Will", it is mostly all subjective and totally based on differing opinions from a multitude of sources, some of which have little or no experience or training in any field that might be relevant to the subject. So yes, I think people can have a "progressive understanding" of what THEY perceive as God's Will. It doesn't make them right and it will be real easy to find a 2nd opinion (or 3rd or 4th or . . . . ).

Another question that has no answer.

JMHO

Doc

• simon17
    simon17

No such thing as the light got brighter. It means you were wrong the first time.

Not necessarily true. Science is progressive. The understanding of gravity was progressive. Newton did his work. It was close but not fully complete. The theory of special relativity added to this understanding and overturned parts of it yet it was also incomplete. Theory of general relativity is more complete still, but there will be more to do.Evolution has clearly been a progressive theory.

Of course the difference is, these people didn't say that God had revealed these theories to men and they didn't shun people who didn't accept it. But almost everything evolves and progresses over time as newer and better understandings are reached.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit