As A Jehovah's Witness Did You Never Accept Or Believe Something They Taught?

by minimus 26 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I NEVER believed that in 1975 or by the end of the 20th century, we would see the Great Tribulation occur. Some Witnesses would listen to Fred Franz' talks where he clearly told his audience that 1975 was the end of 6000 years and the beginning of the Jubilee....or something like that.

Was there something that you never truly accepted that you were supposed to believe as a Jehovah's Witness?

• minimus
    minimus

I never believed chess was an improper game for "true Christians" to play.

• blond-moment
    blond-moment

1975 was a big one for me I think. I always held back believing 100%. I believed they were god's organization, I believed they were the "the truth" but there was also that big nagging doubt that kept me from being 100% gung ho JW. Try as I might, I couldn't get over, that big of a mistake. I couldn't buy their excuse. I remember too well, 1975 was IT.

There were other little things, but I was able to properly put those doubts in the back of my head, they of course all came out after my wake up.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Never believed humans were just 6000 years old. Never believed in a worldwide flood. Always believed Higher Ed was important!

• bigmac
    bigmac

errr--jehovah ?

• minimus
    minimus

I see many here didn't accept the Flood and Noah and the animals.

• chapstick
    chapstick

The flood story (after turning 16)

Only "true" religion

Most of humanity to be destroyed

Non-immortality of the soul

Need to NOT think independently

Masturbation unnatural

Oral sex unnatural

Depiction of ancient Israelite piety

etc. etc.

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

There were other little things, but I was able to properly put those doubts in the back of my head, they of course all came out after my wake up. Like blond moment said ^

• smmcroberts
    smmcroberts

That the great plagues of Revelation found their fulfillment in the conventions in Ohio in the 1920's.

That always sounded so ridiculous to me.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I never fully accepted their teaching that one perishes at death and in the resurrection God recreates you from his memory. That was no resurrection hope. Even in 3rd or 4th grade I questioned this in a book study. So I had my own private belief that when one dies, one's spirit goes back to God and he restores it in a resurrection. I thought the spirit wasn't conscious and just was one's life force, but it was individuated and unique and provided a continuity of existence.

Also in high school, I was gobsmacked to realize that the Society taught that the anointed went to heaven starting in 1918. I always thought they had been going to heaven since the first century. I was like...1918??? Where is that in the Bible????

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit