JWS vs LDS

by tresdecu 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

The closeness of the shared LDS/JW cult experience is one thing that draws me here. This forum was a fundamental part of my awareness that the LDS world was not very unique at all.

• james_woods
    james_woods

I am not so sure that there is really all that much similarity, except that both are pretty well out of the mainstream:

The JWs are absolutely driven by a fascination with the "Jehovah-God" and that name. The Mormons at least name themselves "Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints". References to Christianity in JW ordinary worship is always subjected to the Jehovah fetish.

The JWs are also completely consumed by an obsession with the end of the world, "Armageddon", "Great Tribulation", and setting false prophetic dates for all of these. I have not seen the Mormons doing anything of the sort.

The JWs are, again, different because of their absolute fear and loathing for anything "of the World". No college, no politics, no involvement with community, holding mainstream jobs is suspect, and so on. The Mormons seem very active in trying to blend in with general society.

One of the primary distinguishing factors of the JWs is the deadly "blood doctrine". The Mormons have nothing of the sort - (no alcohol, no coffee does not even start to come close)

Perhaps the closest parallel would be the Mormons door to door ministry (which Witnesses also do) - but here again there are differences; the main one being that Mormons do this as a voluntary "missionary" and it is viewed as an expression of service to their church, not so much at all as an effort to gain recruits; certainly not as a warning to the world of some impending end.

As has been noted - both JWs and Mormons have some VERY ODD doctrinal teachings. Very odd at least to people who have applied independent critical thought to both teaching systems. But then, so do practically every other major or minor religion you can name.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit