JWS vs LDS

by tresdecu 11 Replies latest jw friends

• tresdecu
    tresdecu

I came across a mormon "sisters" blog...reading through some of her missionary experiences, it sounded so much like JW pioneer "sis" relating hers. Just swap out some of the Cult-language words and it's suddenly a JW experience of sharing "bible truths" with some poor worldly sap.

Here's an taste of it:

1) We were also led by the Spirit this week to a former investigator's home. Her name is Aimee. We had penciled her in as a back up for Tuesday morning but since our appointment with a less active went through we didn't end up checking on Aimee. That afternoon we had planned to work in Schenectady but Sister Stacey just wasn't feeling it. She was like, "I really feel like we should stay in Glenville. We've worked Schenectady the past few days." So we said a prayer and told Heavenly Father we are not going to Schenectady but we're going to work in Glenville and to help us readjust our plans to be led to someone in need of our message." We decided to check on a less active and on our drive there, we came across construction that caused us to have to take a detour. We took the detour and we led right down Aimee's street. I said, "Let's stop at Aimee's and maybe she'll be home and we'll be able to meet her." We got out of the car, knocked on Aimee's door and she came. At first she was confused because she knew the other two sisters well. We introduced ourselves and she let us in. Over eight times she said, "I was just having one of those really sad afternoons, and then I heard a knock and it was you." She even called her husband at work and said, "You know how I was having a sad day? The sisters just showed up and we've been talking and I feel a lot better." Cool huh!?

2) One couple, Ryan and Angie live here in the Burg. They have two sons, a 4 year old and a 14 month old. They were raised Catholic and still attend church when they can. They brought up that they were getting their baby baptized into the Catholic church on the 29th. We talked about baptism and asked them why their son needs to be baptized. They didn't really know, but just that it's a tradition. It was neat to teach them a little about the significance of being baptized, the promises made, and the priesthood authority. We didn't get into it too in depth. I wanted to pull out Moroni 8 about children being born without sin, but it probably would've been too much. They are like spiritual babies right now! ha ha And so precious and golden to us so we didn't want to give them more than they can handle. I know the Mom felt that what we were saying was true. She started talking about having to pay for his little baptism too. Sad huh? I held back my feelings of how ridiculous that is. Ha ha. We told her no one is paid in the church we are members of and she loved that. After all of that small talk we started with a hymn and prayer and taught them the message of the restoration. I love teaching people these truths for the first time. How lucky we are as missionaries to testify to people that God has called a prophet again and restored his priesthood power to bind their family together forever! The spirit was very strong. We're meeting with them again this week. We committed them to read 3 Nephi 17 when the Savior blesses the children. We were able to testify of God's love for their children and how He wants them to live with him again as an eternal family.
  • Kojack57
    Kojack57

Satan works in mysterious ways whether its with Mormons or Jehovah's witnesses. Satan blinds the minds of the unbelievers so the glorious good news about the Christ don't shine through.

Kojack

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I remember when I was in the cult I thought Mormons were crazy and we were so much better. Now I realize the culture was just the same.

Sometimes the ex Mormons will drop by to check out the ex JW sites. I was wrote a poem about being an exJW called the ABCs of Jehovah's Witnesses. A ex Mormon saw it and wrote his own version. Kind of made me happy to thing my experience as a JW helped an ex Mormon.

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

Look for this experience to appear in the next WT study edition!

• Emery
    Emery

At least they have their own state, universities, and sports teams.

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

They'll need to change the experience slightly to include Andre

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

JW's versus LDS ? no contest, LDS is far superior, not only does it have its own Unis and teams as above mentioned, but it is so much ahead of JW's.

Who started first ? Who had the Elder arrangement first ? Who had Family Worship night first ? In fact which has more members and is altogether slicker ?

The similarities between all the major cults is amazing, the methods of control of mind and behaviour are so similar it is as if the leadership of the WT the LDS the SAD's etc all went to the same night school course to learn how to do it.

• Fernando
    Fernando

In cultdom, two of the leading contenders in a race to the bottom...

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

About 5 years ago I told a couple of LDS elders who stopped at our house that if I had to choose between JW and LDS, I would choose LDS. They thought they had a convert. I forgot to tell them that I had other choices--like choosing no religion at all. But they stopped to see us on a weekly basis for awhile and talked and prayed with Clyde and me. We were OK with it because we learned a lot about their religion, but then came the thrust to attend their church. That's when we stopped.

They must keep a file on us because every time they change their elders they come out specially to visit us. Last week Clyde and I sat on the front porch, and Clyde ended up doing most of the talking. I still see myself when I was their young age, pioneering, and I thought I had the absolute truth. No one could have convinced me otherwise, and there's no way to convince these two guys now.

• cobaltcupcake
    cobaltcupcake

I remember my mom had a return visit on a woman who was studying with LDS. Mom felt a real need to "save" this woman from becoming a Mormon. Six of one, half dozen of the other. I can't remember who "won."

http://scottleblog.wordpress.com

The Odd Life of Jehovah's Witnesses

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit