A question for Athiests

by EndofMysteries 125 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Twitch
    Twitch
    You make the mistake of expecting Atheism to provide an answer for everything . . . only religion can do that. Atheism is not some sort of alternative faith . . . there are many unanswered questions. Atheism simply rejects religions' answers to those questions . . . hence the name.

Eloquent and sublime.

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Cold Steel said:

I also stand behind my other observations in that the intricacies of life not only imply intelligent design; they pretty much require it. The complexities in human DNA are so incredible that to think it happened by chance is inconceivable. It requires that one believe that life began simply and become progressively more complex to the point it made an Adobe Photoshop program look like a child’s doodling.

You'd agree that a designer should be familiar with the details of his design, right? If someone claims to be a auto designer but doesn't understand what role the engine plays (saying, "it makes the car stop") you'd have doubts they WERE the actual designer, right?

Unfortunately, YHWH fails right off the bat, not even understanding the basics of human or animal anatomy/physiology. The first example encountered is when YHWH is quoted in Gen referring to "evil thoughts in the hearts of men": that's no quaint or romantic figure of speech, but is well-documented as what ancient men actually believed as a literal truth at the time, that humans thought with their hearts, not their brain. That was the belief of ancient Egyptians (who were the experts on anatomy in the ancient world due to their work with mummies for Pharoahs), and Babylonians. The heart was considered as the organ of cognition until the Greeks came along and used scientific inquiry to determine the TRUE roles of the heart and brain much later.

There are MANY OTHER examples of YHWH's not understanding science of his "creations" whether we're talking about geology, climatology, cosmology, botany, etc. acting as if he were limited by human knowledge as it existed circa 500 BC. The "Intelligent Designer" claim is a FAIL.

• still thinking
    still thinking

I wonder why people who quote the bible think that proves anything....LOL

I'll quote you this...I'll up you with that quote...I'll see you with another quote...

It's all very scientific....ROFL

Guess there really isn't any other way to discuss this god other than with bible quotes.

• Twitch
    Twitch

Appeal to authority and suspension of disbelief

It's like peanut butter and chocolate

'course one doesn't need the bible literally

perhaps even figuratively

perhaps one doesn't need the bible at all

or any derivatives of it's ideas

there's more than one path to the watering hole

and others have found these, were one to consider a broader spectrum

'course, I might be wrong

but I don't think so

• tec
    tec

The first example encountered is when YHWH is quoted in Gen referring to "evil thoughts in the hearts of men": that's no quaint or romantic figure of speech, but is well-documented as what ancient men actually believed as a literal truth at the time, that humans thought

with their hearts, not their brain

And there is your reason. Men understood it thus.

Regardless, the saying gets the point across. Men were full of evil thoughts... that is what was within them all the time... and whatever is within us, that is what we act upon.

Peace,

tammy

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

MC RubberMallet said: We should all just eat, drink, be merry, get married and take no note.

Now, you tell me! Where were you 20 years ago?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit