Looking for a new Bible translastion to read

by eyesropen323 37 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Fernando
    Fernando

An interesting and powerful trick to side step WBTS programming and propaganda is to find, mark and pursue all the occurrences of the word "gospel" or phrase "good news" in the Bible.

As WBTS followers we called ourselves "publishers of the good news". Yet we only ever really considered one verse and one interpretation of it (Matt 24:14).

This is a little bizarre to say the least...

Best wishes with the journey eyesropen323!

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

I enjoy the New English Translation. Easy read, more modern English than NWT, and the YouVersion version has footnotes that show various translations of certain words that could be used and why the translators chose what they did. I've read almost the entire Bible with this translation. I use others, but this one's my favorite.

• Cagefighter
    Cagefighter

I get the most out of The Living Translation paraphrased. It is one of my most valued possessions. It reads like a book and is written to convey meaning not a literal word by word translation. Much is lost in those literal translations.

• Wonderment
    Wonderment

It all depends on what you are looking for. Looking for a Bible translation to replace the NWT is not necessarily the best approach. The best thinking approach would be of one adding to your knowledge by obtaining additional versions.

Many Bible readers approach Bible purchases with the notion of finding those tThose "Evangelical" inclined, will likely end up with mainly Protestant versions, and so on. The problem with that approach is that the person will be blocking or restricting himself/herself from possible new provoking religious insights from various other sources.

Thus, I recommend to get Bible translations representing various religious persuasions... some Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, and yes, the JWs Bible (NWT) kept for study and research purposes. Doing so allows one to keep the mind more open to other views, letting each argument stand on its own, and hence, reducing personal bias as we gain Bible knowledge.

• Wonderment
    Wonderment

Correction for above post, second paragraph:

Many Bible readers approach Bible purchases with the notion of finding those that agree with their theology.Those with a Catholic tendency, will purchase Catholic versions, while those "Evangelically" inclined, will likely end up with mainly Protestant versions, and so on.

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

Yeah lol, just get whatever Bible is most enjoyable to read. Any kind of big reference Bible, even the 1984 NWT reference Bible; is good, but for value for money- go with the Catholic Version: it has more words in it.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I picked up a Moffat's at a local book sale. He tried realy hard to stick to what was written, rather than to bend to what what religionists of his era preferred and was given a hard time for his translation.

Before you read any 'translation', you should read books on critical thinking

• itsibitsybrainbutbigenoughtosmellarat
    itsibitsybrainbutbigenoughtosmellarat

Along with the e-sword comment I enjoy using the Ancient Roots Translinear Old and New Testament. They are seperate editions and created by one person so that is a negative but having said that it is a good arrow for the quiver. By the way someone posted a couple weeks ago a link for incorporating the NWT in the e-sword program and the nice thing about e-sword is that you can compare side by side in a list format all the versions or translations in the program. So you pick a certain vs or vss. and then hit the compare tab and that works for the dictionaries and commentaries as well.

• Ding
    Ding

NIV (New International Version) and NASB (New American Standard Bible) are both good.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Translations of individual books with notes and commentaries are often very interesting.

Such as Robert Alter's translation of Genesis or Raymond Scheindlin's translation of the book of Job.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit