Looking for a new Bible translastion to read

by eyesropen323 37 Replies latest watchtower bible

• jgnat
    jgnat

I downloaded an intriguing translation from the Jewish Publication Society, 1917. Here's a parallel of Psalm 83:16.

Psalms 83:17/18

(JPS-ASVII) (83:17) Fill their faces with shame; that they may seek Thy name, O LORD.

(KJV) Fill their faces with shame; that they may seek thy name, O LORD.

(KJV+) FillH4390 their facesH6440 with shame;H7036 that they may seekH1245 thy name,H8034 O LORD.H3068

(NWT) Fill their faces with dishonor, That people may search for your name, O Jehovah.

• tornapart
    tornapart

I really like reading the NIV. I'm thinking of getting the Holman Study bible soon. At the moment I like using an online bible study aid that has lots of different versions and commentaries and lots more. I have YouVersion bible app on my phone, has several different translations.

http://biblos.com/

• RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

The Holman Christian Standard Study Bible is by far my favorite translation now.

And E-Sword is a great tool I use it almost every day, and just got the NWT for it finally so it is easy to compare Bibles and you don't need to be online.

For light reading and encouragement, the Message Bible is awesome too. Great advice from a lot of Bible lovers out there on this thread! I love topics like this one!

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

I've been using this online hebrew interlinear, mostly for important texts which help show the true meaning and expose translation errors.

http://www.scripture4all.org/OnlineInterlinear/Hebrew_Index.htm

The best would be to learn hebrew and greek but that is good enough for now. But I have found some strange things even with the direct hebrew to english word translation there as well. It's the closest though, better then any translation.

For example.....in the bible, human and adam is spelt the same. It says adam but some parts translated will say adam some parts human or man. It may seem to the translators it's definately speaking about man or adam so they translate it that way, but if they were wrong, the message is corrupted then.

Then there are the prophecies that speak of the "son of man", but since it's spelled "son of adam" maybe it's speaking about Abel or something deeper, so interlinear atleast gives you a chance to see the hebrew and notice how things are being translated or things which are assumed, and possibly able to uncover understandings impossible to get from any translation if they mistakenly assumed something wrong.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Fernando.....Thanks for the link to that site, now bookmarked.

I have enjoyed reading The Message Bible. It is clear, and conversational and plain speaking. However I would exercise some caution since i have found it to be, well, unique in the way it renders some verses . If I found a surprising thought I would check against multiple sources to verify the accuracy of it

• Londo111
    Londo111

For ease of reading, both the New Jerusalem Bible and English Standard Version are pretty good. But they are not literal translations, rather they use dynamic equivalence or 'thought-for-thought' rendering.

The ESV has a somewhat evangelical bias, while the NJB has a Catholic bias. For instance, in the NJB, one passage that touches on Mary's virginity after Jesus is born is tweaked. Also, in regard the verse where Jesus gives grounds for divorce, it renders it 'illicit marriage' rather than fornication or adultery. However, I must say I absolutely love the footnotes in the hardback NJB I have. And I like how the Divine Name is rendered in the OT.

One must keep in mind that any translation, no matter how literal it is or not, is an interpretation of the original languages. There is probably no perfect version, therefore, as pointed out, it is best to use several. I believe it's good to have to at least have one literal version and one version that uses dynamic equivalence (preferably a study version).

• prophecor
    prophecor

Hi 323. I always start with the King James Version. It has the closesest line to to truth. If you're using it just for enlightenment, I would suggest the New Living Translation or even the New King James version. Serious study should be reserved for the KJV.

Though the NWT Bible has a Jehovah's Witness leaning and is biased to thier Theology. They are a great tool for cross referencing other aspects of study.

http://www.amazon.com/Hebrew-Greek-Word-Study-Bible-KJV/dp/0899576567

Here's a link to the Bible I use now on a regular basis. It has a Bible dictionary as well a strongs concordance to help assist in further understanding of key scriptures.

• RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

@prophecor - I'm curious why you would feel that the KJV is a superior Bible for study- Are you referring to the 1611 version or updated ones? Hasn't their been many improvements in modern translations over the KJ, where they have fixed small mistakes?

Just wondering, not trying to pick a fight I just want your thinking on this!

• jgnat
    jgnat

Prophecor, the KJV is dated, though I do reference it frequently for the beauty of the language. It's interpretation for local flora and fauna is flawed, likely because the translators were not familiar with Middle Eastern plants and animals. For example we have Almug/Algum wood, the Cony (more properly the Hyrax), and Spelt (which probably should have been Emmer).

• eyesropen323
    eyesropen323

Thank you everyone :) since i started fading and now totally do not attend any meetings i gave myself a 'break' But now i would like to read thru the scriptures with 'new' eyes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit