Talked to a couple from the Hall that I haven't seen in a while

by Captain Schmideo2 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Captain Schmideo2
    Captain Schmideo2

We were waiting for my mother in law to come out of surgery.

Not much was talked about on "spiritual" matters (since I haven't been to a meeting in years).

However, I got to hear about :
    Government conspiracies to shut down alternative energy.

GMOs are bad. GMOs are BAD. GMO'S ARE BAD!!!!

Poor Dr. Oz is being persecuted for speaking the truth about the food we eat.

Actually, I was also told about things I would never in a million years thought I would hear, like setting up the internet and voice over IP phone lines at the Kingdom Hall. And all the travails of dealing with the equipment locking up after power outages in the neighborhood. When I asked if they had a battery backup to protect the equipment from things like this (a $50 dollar investment), it was like something he never even thought of.
    He was also showing me how great it was that he could show the videos from the website on his tablet in the door to door work. I remarked that at least it's easier than carrying around a phonograph.
    I suspect that Headquarters must love the use of this, since it ensures that the message THEY want to present at the initial contact at the door is exactly how they want it stated, and not how it must get bumble fumbled by average Joe Publisher in the old days.

• rebel8
    rebel8
    Scientific illiteracy, when combined with a willingness to form beliefs based upon science, is scary.
  • NewYork44M
    NewYork44M
    I must be so far out of mainstream thought that I do not know what a GMO or a Dr. Oz is.
  • Captain Schmideo2
    Captain Schmideo2
    GMO-
    1. A genetically modified organism (GMO) is any organism whose genetic material has been altered using genetic engineering techniques. GMOs are the source of genetically modified foods and are also widely used in scientific research and to produce goods other than food.

• SafeAtHome
    SafeAtHome
    Dr. Oz is the latest TV snake oil salesman who would sell his granny if he could make a buck. Tune in tomorrow for the latest miracle med which of course, is available for purchase on his website. And, really, who would hold their door open for a stranger to show them something on a tablet. No way is my door opening for that and I live in the relatively safe suburbs. How are the elderly JWs coping with all this, I have been wondering.
  • Captain Schmideo2
    Captain Schmideo2

"Here's a short video that will really present you with some amazing...oh, wait! That's a RedTube Video. Hold on a second..."

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M
    Thanks, I learn something every day. I guess I should be going back to the meetings to know these things.
  • DarioKehl
    DarioKehl

I remember hearing JWs denigrate the space shuttle program from the platform. It kept coming up during Sunday talks--not sure if it was on the outline or if the locals were just tossing in the latest unfounded tall tale, but, apparently, every time the shuttles launched, it adversely affected the weather. Something about the atmosphere being "punctured" when it's not supposed to be.... IDK.

nutrition has always been a pissing contest as well. Heated debates & mitigation by elders was common in the 70s, 80s & 90s, especially with all the MLMs: phone cards to hand lotion, to vitamins and OMG you'd better drink your Mona Vie & Noni juice!

i faded when the "organic" craze was just taking off. I can only imagine the furor with this gluten free fad. The circuit overseer and his wife must be harder than ever to prepare food for now. Ugh... I'll never miss the layers and layers of bullshit.

• zeb
    zeb
    Its my obsevation that jw have a low level of health and are as you say subject to health fads.
  • Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

How are the elderly JWs coping with all this, I have been wondering.

My parents are trying, but are basically left behind. Dad has been struggling just to use email for years. A couple of sisters helped Mom figure out how to use their website on a tablet. They live out where there isn't broadband, so they have a cellular contract. Mom was very unhappy when the monthly bill was so high above the contract rate because she had been watching the videos and been going way over the data limit. For the older ones like them, the congregation plays the monthly indoctrination message at the KH on a Saturday afternoon. My parents usually fall asleep during the showing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit