Overlapping Generation/GB/Doug Sanderson

by Simon Morley 63 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• oppostate
    oppostate
    Well, since my great-grand-father was born after Freddie Franz I guess we're technically in the same WT generation by some Twilight Zone reasoning from WT writers, whose bright idea by the way, the GeeBee members just love.
  • problemaddict 2
    problemaddict 2

This is the easiest way i have found to remember it, AND to blow it up simultaneously and accurately. I am not sure what Fred Franz has to do with this specifically so I would refrain from using names.

If someone was old enough to partake in 1914, that is the first part of this generation. If someone in modern times was old enough to partake with people from the first group, they are an extension of that group (they overlap with it).

The WT has said the end will come before all these ones pass away.

So......one need simply find the youngest member of the anointed that was alive and partaking while someone who partook in 1914 was still alive (so not necessarily the youngest anointed person out there), and figure out how long they will probably live to get an expiration date on "this ole system of things".

This is exactly what is taught by JW's currently without any hyperbole or stretching of imagination.

Its like shooting fish in a barrel.

• AleFer
    AleFer
    Hi problemaddict 2
    I understand that Franz was the GB member who was latest baptized before (October?) 1914, which is the key year. So yes, as you say we could search for the youngest person who ever partook with Franz... So I guess the deadline for the WT would be people born about 1979/1980 (if a 12 year old would have partaken, as Franz died in 1992), the last people who would die, right? JUST FOR FUN, WHAT DO YOU THINK ON THIS DEADLINE, GUYS?
  • nicolaou
    nicolaou

At some point, WT will redefine the anointed or 'little flock' as being the Jews who first heard the 'Good News'. You know, like every other Christian denomination does.

The more they simplify and mainstream doctrines like this one the less effort they'll have to spend on supporting obvious nonsense.

There are no sacred cows anymore . . .

• St George of England
    St George of England

@DATA-DOG

So are you going to reveal the scripture.......?

George

• oppostate
    oppostate
    The 2008 generation teaching was that it was a 2000 year generation including all the anointed.

One would think that this 2008 teaching concerning the generation would have lasted them for eons without being forced to revise it.

But, the GeeBee being what it is, NOT-the-FDS that is, within a few years they changed the doctrine. Why?

I feel that there was a flurry of questions posed to the WTS about the doctrine, and that some traveling religion-mongers reported the publishers weren't feeling the urgency of the imminent end being just around the corner.

The result was a quick re-write by the writing department, and although painting themselves into a shabby new generational explanation, they are of the mind that they can always revise later what they teach today. Besides, the sheep are expected to play along nicely and accept every new idiotic supposition regarding the coming of their longed for Armageddon.

• FusionTheism
    FusionTheism

Here is the very latest writes about "This Generation." Looks like they are preparing to change it again:

Jesus--The Way book (2015), Page 254 and Pages 258-259:

He warns: “Truly I say to you, all these things will come upon this generation.” (Matthew 23:34-36) That proves to be the case in 70 C.E. when the Roman armies destroy Jerusalem and many thousands of Jews perish. ...

How, though, would Jesus’ disciples who are living during this foretold period be able to determine the nearness of the end? Jesus gives an illustration about a fig tree: “Just as soon as its young branch grows tender and sprouts its leaves, you know that summer is near. Likewise also you, when you see all these things, know that he is near at the doors. Truly I say to you that this generation will by no means pass away until all these things happen.”—Matthew 24:32-34. Thus, when his disciples see the many different features of the sign being fulfilled, they should realize that the end is near.

-----

Insight Book (2015 Edition), Volume 1, Page 918:

“This Generation” of Christ’s Prophecies. When Bible prophecy speaks of “this generation,” it is necessary to consider the context to determine what generation is meant. Jesus Christ, when denouncing the Jewish religious leaders, concluded by saying: “Truly I say to you, All these things will come upon this generation.” History recounts that about 37 years later (in 70 C.E.) that contemporary generation personally experienced the destruction of Jerusalem, as foretold.—Mt 23:36. Later that same day, Jesus again used practically the same words, saying: “Truly I say to you that this generation will by no means pass away until all these things occur.” (Mt 24:34) In this instance, Jesus was answering a question regarding the desolation of Jerusalem and its temple as well as regarding the sign of his presence and of the conclusion of the system of things. So his comment about “this generation” logically had an application down to 70 C.E. However, he was also using the word “generation” with reference to humans whose lives would in some way be associated with the foretold events during his presence.—Mt 24.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

fusiontheism - "Looks like they are preparing to change it again..."

Well, it's not like the overlapping generation concept was all that tenable; stands to reason it was just a placeholder that could be set aside if enough people realized how weird it was.

• ron rawson
    ron rawson

I find it strange that Jesus Christ....God's Son, the 2nd perfect man ever to appear on Earth.... was so inarticulate that he needs someone to explain what he meant to say 2,000 years ago.

Geeeezus kryste!!

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Its obvious that todays GB needed to create some Bullshit to sustain the organization's operation as a " God Approved Publishing House "

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit