Went to a Catholic Funeral Today

by Captain Schmideo2 24 Replies latest jw friends

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    I prefer the Maundy Thursday ritual and vigil.
  • Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing
    I have been to Catholic funerals a couple of times and I observed the same things. Both that I went to reminded me of JW funerals in the sense that they were so impersonal and not about the person that died at all. And they are very lucky that they let people get up and speak at the funeral. At the ones I went to, the family had to fight with the church to allow them to break from their ritual tradition and allow family members to speak.
  • truthseeker100
    truthseeker100
    I have been to several witness funerals or recruitment events what ever you want to call them. The last Catholic funeral I was to was for my father in law. It was a very respectful ceremony.
  • TTWSYF
    TTWSYF
    What are JW funerals like? Not respectful?
  • truthseeker100
    truthseeker100

TTWSYF

What are JW funerals like? Not respectful?

No I don't think they are.

They are a recruitment drives.

I have been to many including some of my immediate family.

When I went to my Father in law's Catholic funeral,his was about the celebration of his life.

I am certainly not advocating for the Catholic Church.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

I will go to Catholic weddings and funerals. What I will never do again is Easter Vigil. Oh. My. God. Sooo loong.

For reference, the Easter Vigil is about the same length as the weekly WT meetings (two hours). That's only once per year, and there is always the option of going to the regular length mass on Easter Day instead of the longer vigil service the evening before (unless you're a convert being baptized or confirmed during the vigil service or the convert's sponsor, in which case you obviously are expected to attend!).

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF
    Thanks Truthseeker. I've never been to a JW funeral, but I think that could be a possibility someday. Hoping no though. Is EVERY social event a recruiting drive?
  • PokerPlayerPhil
    PokerPlayerPhil
    How was it versus a Kingdom Hall Funeral that mentions the Witness maybe once or twice? Kingdom Hall funerals were very disturbing looking back on them, how come we could not see they used the death of our loved ones and friends to make a sales pitch? Was the Catholic service far superior, how did you feel?
  • GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

The last time I went to a WTBTS funeral, the elder read the obituary from the newspaper, verbatim. He read it in an expressionless monotone, like somebody reciting a school lesson just to be done with it. I do not recall that the elder made even one little addition showing he ever had met the deceased. Besides reciting the obituary, he just followed the approved script and cited the usual Watchtower references designated for the occasion.

How could the family find any comfort in that soulless imitation of a memorial to their loved one?

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher
    Hey, Tirebiter. The Easter Vigil I attended was over 3 hours long! Maybe they're usually shorter, but I'm not taking the chance again.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit