Went to a Catholic Funeral Today

by Captain Schmideo2 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Captain Schmideo2
    Captain Schmideo2

It was for a dear friend of the family that I have known all my life.
    Now, bear in mind that I was born and raised JW, so my experience with Catholic ceremonies can be counted on three fingers, a wedding, a "regular" mass, and this funeral mass.

Once they got down to the actual speaking about the deceased, I felt emotionally involved, but prior to that, I was watching and had questions about aspects of the services (these I have seen in common for all three times I have been in an RC church):

Why the "sing-song" voice during the prayers? Does god hear it better if you sound all spooky tenor?
    I observe that every time a reading from one of the Gospels takes place, it is preceded by a big musical number:"Alleluiah! Alleluiah"( "And Nowwwwwwwwwwwwwww, Heeeeeeeeeeeeeere's Jesus!".) I get "why" it's probably done, but "whew" what a time consumer. Reminded me of the bringing forth of the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch.

• Captain Schmideo2
    Captain Schmideo2

and for some reason, the rest of my post was cut off. And I don't have the energy of typing it all.... Sigh.

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF
    The singing songs were probably the psalms of David. They are always sung I think in keeping with the Jewish traditions. They try to sing anyway, not exactly top 10 melodies
  • GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

Why the "sing-song" voice during the prayers?

That would be Gregorian Chant, a traditional form dating back to times before printing presses and mass literacy. The rhythmic cadence helps with memorization, as well as setting a solemn tone for worship. It is for the benefit of the faithful to help them follow the familiar sequence and thus pay attention to the mass, not to help God "hear better".

I get "why" it's probably done, but "whew" what a time consumer.

The "Alleluias" precede and follow the Gospel Antiphon, a Psalm passage selected to introduce the Gospel to follow (it relates to each day's Gospel reading). It also sets a reverent tone appropriate for hearing the Gospel, which is the highlight of the "Liturgy of the Word" (not merely a footnote, as it would be in a Kingdom Hall "talk"). Singing or saying the antiphon takes maybe a minute, hardly a big time consumer.

• Captain Schmideo2
  • FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

The Roman Catholic service is the most beautiful of all of their masses. Since Vatican II, the services have been too watered down, except for the funeral rite. The services are very reverent, unlike the more fundamentalist churches that really are more, "Here's Jesus."

I am not Roman Catholic, but was raised in the Episcopal Church, which is Anglican Catholic basically. There are three readings from the OT, the NT and the gospel reading. In addition there are Psalms that are spoken or sung. I believe you are speaking of the part of the mass that the priest chants. That kind of chanting has been going on since the beginning of the church and is very beautiful to most of us, brought up in the catholic type of services.

The readings from the OT, NT and Gospel are done so that in three years, you make it through the entire Bible, save a few little things here and there. We were taught as JWs that the JWS are sooo organized, and that churches are not. Well, not true. These lessons are read daily, different ones each day, until the Bible is finished. The same lessons are done in every Roman Catholic, Anglican, Lutheran and similar churches on the same days. The priest, or pastor if it is Lutheran, will base the short sermon on the Gospel. The sermons for regular masses or services tend to be from 10 minutes to 20.

The music in today's Roman Catholic churches tends to be more folky, after Vatican II. They do still do some of the beautiful, traditional hymns sometimes. The Anglican church hymns are more traditional.

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte
    I assisted a few Catholics funerals as I never prevented myself from going to these even when I was a JW. In all the ceremonies that I have attended, there was one that I thought was truly beautiful. Otherwise, it was from a priest who generally knew almost nothing about the deceased and they appeared overly crowded by the proceedings/traditions. In one of these talks, I even remember a priest pretending to be quoting from the scriptures words that were simply not there!!
  • FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

I've been to catholic funerals, many of them, and some are really good. It depends on whether the person was known by the priest or not.

My church isn't catholic, but the funerals are so personal, with friends and family members getting up to speak about memories or character of the person. I help at every funeral held at church, they are all good and meaningful.

It's always made me sad how impersonal witness memorials are. At most a couple of sentences about the deceased. That's all they get then it's a commercial for their religion. I hate that my parents will be treated the same. It's going to drive me nuts.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    You know, when the priest receives the body at the church, there is a prayer he does, which is respectful and lovely really.
  • GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher
    I will go to Catholic weddings and funerals. What I will never do again is Easter Vigil. Oh. My. God. Sooo loong.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit