Secrets of Body Language - the most powerful way of understanding others

by Dogpatch 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

http://youtu.be/AQENwD-QlRA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQENwD-QlRA

[This is one of the most powerful lessons you can learn in understanding the REAL character, and honesty/dishonesty of people. But it has to be visual and in person to fully work. That's why people hiding on the Net under false pictures and icons cannot really be trusted. I have always guessed it as listening at 20% effective and watching/using your senses as 80% of understanding others. When people want to argue about invisible things, they are almost always operating under self-delusion.] - Randy

Body language is a form of non-verbal communication, which consists of body posture, gestures, facial expressions, and eye movements. Humans send and interpret such signals almost entirely subconsciously.

John Borg attests that human communication consists of 93 percent body language and paralinguistic cues, while only 7% of communication consists of words themselves;[1] however, Albert Mehrabian, the researcher whose 1960s work is the source of these statistics, has stated that this is a misunderstanding of the findings[2] (see Misinterpretation of Mehrabian's rule). Others assert that "Research has suggested that between 60 and 70 percent of all meaning is derived from nonverbal behavior."[3]

Body language may provide clues as to the attitude or state of mind of a person. For example, it may indicate aggression, attentiveness, boredom, relaxed state, pleasure, amusement, and intoxication, among many other cues.

This is also known as profiling in the legal system, the best way to catch a crook. Yet animals and even bugs have used these visual matrices to protect themselves for millions of years. If you want to get a person out of a cult, or even become an exit-counselor, and you don't understand this (it's largely instinctive more so than learned by a book), you will have little success. In 30 years of exit-counseling, this has been my most effective tool. Arguing theology and concepts and philosophy is virtually worthless in comparison, yet 95% of all books on cults miss the boat entirely. Why? Because the writers, though sounding very bright and intelligent, have no real experience in getting a person out of a cult. Throw their books away and get your hands dirty in the REAL world.

You can discuss abstracts SUCH AS INVISIBLE SKY-DADDIES AND SUPER-DADDIES WHEN THEY'RE OUT.

It is also my observation that when a friend or family member wants to hire someone to get a person out of a cult, THEY are the one who needs the MOST counseling, as their primal control mechanisms often drove the "victim" into the cult in the first place! What irony, but I would guess it to be true in 80% of the cases I have worked in. [I don't do it anymore.]

In the actual exit-counseling session, THAT person is the one you leave out of the picture until later... as the "victim" will get very defensive and clam up. Often women join cults to get a life that gives them more freedom and self-respect [in a cult!] than they get from their mate. Same with children - in an effort to escape their over-controlling and often religiously fanatical parents.

My favorite tactic is to take the side of the "victim" and they suddenly relate to me more than their family or friends! Why? Because they sense (not actually yet understanding it) I understand why they joined in the first place, while even they often didn't realize such a mind-boggling truth. But I have to warn the family I am going to do that in advance, or they will wonder what the hell I'm doing!

I know because I was raised a Baptist and I hated church (not God or the concept of God) and it was a way of getting back at the hypocrites that play invisible games. (LOL later I became a Foursquare pastor for several years after leaving the JWs because I now understood the whole thing.)

The world is not always what you think you are seeing... your mind and agenda gets in the way, and you yourself may be the very one that drove them into a cult. [Obviously this does not apply to born-ins.]

• Dogpatch
  • Terry
    Terry

What feedback have you had from--let's call them: deprogrammed people--as to what helped them most become less subjective and more objective, Randy?

Is it more a long, slow, cumulative process always? Or, are there cues that something particular can cause a more short-term realization?

• Miles3
    Miles3

Thanks a lot for this insight Dogpatch.

Your opinion on family members asking help for somebody else feels spot one, I've never connected the dots on this.

So do you now only accept request for help from the person themselves, or do you also accept referals but then only work one on one with the person needing help, leaving others out of the process?

And did you ever relate some of your experiences in helping Witnesses or ex-Witnesses anywhere, because I'd be interested to read them.

• LV101
    LV101

Great info and agree wholeheartedly. Does this mean I don't have to read CCMC and the Releasing book --- I just can't get into it (maybe you'll post a crash course) but I think my schedule/commitments has dictated the reason and if I have 2 extra minutes would rather come onboard this site and read the cult is being destroyed. Surviving the consequences of having joined the cult are tortuous and those innocent one(s) (qualifying as practically "born ins") we dragged along is heart breaking.

I desperately try to be positive about the cult other than losing it a couple of times.

Thanks for taking the time to post this.

• Scott77
    Scott77

bttt

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

Well, Our special seminar for 2 days with Steven Hassan teaching back in the late 80s-early 80s is probably the best. It is still timeless, as what is discussed with the audience of former Scientologists, former Elizabeth Claire Prophet members, MLM groups, and a couple of Christian sects/cults is eternally applicable and priceless. The importance of doctrine and educating people about what Christianity is and is not is only discussed by me on the final day (none of the other speakers were Christians that I remember), because Christians always seem to approach it from doctrine rather than a PRIMAL approach. But 95% are not in it for doctrinal reasons at all, and so his approach is more the same as mine. He taught me a lot of shortcuts and memetic leaps to recovery - plus he has the advantage of extensive training in psychology, knows Robert J. Lifton, Philip Zimbardo, and knew many other like the late Margaret Singer (wonderful, powerful, caring woman, and once was one of my subscribers for years). He has been on every imaginable talk show including Oprah and others over the years more than once. Go visit his site at www.freedomofmind.com.

Steven doesn't actually come at it from my angle outright, so it seems a little contradictory since he doesn't really get into "primal" as a main subject. (I haven't read his new book yet, though.) But he nevertheless uses it as his approach rather than psychology, philosophy or doctrine. He is wonderfully disarming. A little self-deprecation and a wonderful smile and a good sense of humor are his REAL tools. He doesn't even need to know what the group believes, nor do I, other than a short prep. What is going on in the family is far more important and has NOTHING to do with beliefs, which generally spring forth out of primal issues anyway. But he is well-educated in all the professional counseling issues, plus he is very intelligent (more than an Okie like me).

Steve did not suffer my misery as a child, but in actuality we are on the same page... Steve in person is a real people person - he does not act like a professor, has a sense of humor, is humble, and clearly loves people and has a great deal of empathy. But he has been through a lot, too... with the Moonies and the horrible loss of his first wife in a most awful accident. But that was after he got out of the Moonies.

I first met him in Berkeley at a conference on "Satanism, Deception and Discernment," where a exceptionally good Christian magician by the name of Danny Korem literally showed the crowd how simple it is to deceive others, using their own pre-existing mental issues. Mind boggling, I still have Korem's series of cassettes on the subject.

I do not do it for a couple of reasons, not the least is like the end of the Excorcist where the "demon" leaves the victim and enters the priest, who out of the feeling of sheer wretchedness leaps to his death. My empathy, which cannot be controlled at times, not only was effective but I felt all of what the person suffered PLUS their literal hatred of me on the first day, does a number on my head (I had a very tranquil family life and then I get immersed into what others have horrifically been through - it is just too much for me - I'm a mess for 2-3 days before finally exorcising the "demon" from me.) And no, I don't believe in demons, but one of my favorite subjects since early childhood is magic, Satanism/good and evil. I love horror and have read the Satanic Bible twice (though it's not about the devil at all.) Not into slasher crap. I like Ambrose Bierce.

A second-best is my series of lectures and audience participation available HERE. About three of the lectures/audience are on my Youtube channel in their entirety at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKtxAL0zQY4&list=PLD81F8A29D27EB2F9&feature=plcp

I do some private one-on-one counseling though. Just too draining on me.

Terry: No, the process may only take 3 days and they are totally FREE, but then need to clean up the mess in their mind, and that's where doctrine, etc. come into play. They end up very happy and I am miserable for awhile. It really works like a charm and is permanent. That's why I am amazed how sdo many of you suffer for years after leaving when it is so quick and easy to be free using the proper approach.

More later, got a errand to do.

Randy

http://www.freeminds-store.com/dvd/recovery-from-the-watchtower-video-series-full-set-of-7-dvds.html

• Miles3
    Miles3

Tanks Randy.

I've watched your talks on Youtube before, now I'm going to watch the 2 post-interventions videos you also posted.

Having still a lot of people in the JW I'd like to give a chance to get out, and having talked to 5 already, I'm really interested in learning more about the method you use to help someone in 3 days, especially what you call the primal approach. I don't see it explained in your videos, and I don't remember having read in on freeminds either. While I can infer a bit from the videos, the Hassan books and this thread, that's more like guesswork than any real understanding.

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

Terry (where's my blog, bud?) sez,

What feedback have you had from--let's call them: deprogrammed people--as to what helped them most become less subjective and more objective, Randy?

Is it more a long, slow, cumulative process always? Or, are there cues that something particular can cause a more short-term realization?

Deprogramming is forceable abduction. It is no longer practiced in the U.S. partly due to Steven Hassan's first book. (Not to mention being illegal to constrain someone like that.) Steve had a new approach, because HE resented being deprogrammed and the lasting damage it can cause. That's why he was on all the talk shows. It's more like regular counseling... they can leave at any time. You have to rely solely on your ability to make friends with them in the first 15 minutes, even though they first are afraid your the devil. Do not do something that will cause permanent resistance. Bring select members of their family and friends, and the embarrassment of walking out like a jilted prom girl in front of all your friends because you're a stupid mindless jerk is a bit much, so they stay a while, if at least to prove they are "open-minded).
    So you can play their ego.

Subjectivity for the most part is a result of "inner demons" (or mental issues) and fears. Remove the guilt and fear, and ex-cultists are often way more intelligent than the average person. They have had their minds stretched, washed and dry-cleaned. NO ANGER is left. Humor and normal sexuality blossom for some for the first time in their life. I was a virgin for 39 years (technically, I had several long-term girlfriends from 14 on) and wouldn't even "jerk off" for 8 years as a JW (thank you brother Knorr). But I did fall in love with Judy Martin, one of the 7 single young girls at Bethel then who I was assigned to sit next to. Beautiful girl, but she would never leave. Plus I don't know if she even really like me - (JWs don't know themselves enough to display normal emotions often). But I was ready to propose... then the Franz thing hit the fan and blew that idea.

I wanted to stay! The day before I left I was appointed assistant pressroom overseer, in second charge of all 4 rotary press floors. I didn't want it and had a premonition I waasn't going to go back after my vacation the next day. I called Dan Sydlik and gave him a sob story and he sent a letter of recommendation to my new congregation.

Being in a total mind control cult was the only 100% remedy to my problems. As long as you believe it 100%. :-))

If you know what you're doing, it is quick, painless and fun (after their trashing me emotionally for the first day). No bullshit they can come up with intellectually can stump me. It's simple anthropology. I recommend reading Straw Dogs as a second book after Releasing or Steve's new book (assuming it's good, which I'm sure it is). If anyone wants to read it and do a book review for freeminds, I would love it. I never have time to read anymore... just trying to stay alive most of the time. PRIMAL issues, mostly physical pain. (I never get sick - all my family lives to 80 or more - God forbid... I'll do a Hunter S. Thompson)

(Are you listening Grace? We can launch you from a cannon all the way across Ontario out of the French curtain for your final coup de gras.)

Besides, I'm turning 80 in a week. I don't need the emotional rollercoaster any more.

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

Miles, read Combatting Cult Mind Control, it will save your life.

Randy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit