Donations = iPads?

by Emery 18 Replies latest jw friends

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

But what about the part where someone says, "We don't have a paid clergy, like Christendom has."?

Watchtower has a paid clergy and lies about it

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

What did they say about iPhones a couple of years ago?

Interesting that they'd sooner cut back on meetings and magazines than luxuries for the GB and fellow high heid yins.

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

So - they're actually rejecting technology (by using the media, TV, radio etc, which would be cheaper and would reach more people) to spread their 'life saving message' - whilst embracing technology to spread their literature, letters etc between a select few.

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

I remember back in the 90s an elder from the platform deriding those who had the latest technology.

I bet he's got it all now!

• Sheep2slaughter
    Sheep2slaughter

I gotta agree with Anony Mous. I see so much value in the savings and efficiency of an iPad that it is irresponsible for them NOT to provide them to the traveling overseers.

• Sheep2slaughter
    Sheep2slaughter

@Balter and @Elderelite Everyone in my hall thought of me when we had that part at the Circuit. So I told them that "that part doesn''t apply to me cuz I use Apple products. They only come with a single sheet of paper and the learning curve is slight. Must have been talking about Windows Mobile, Blackberry or Android users!" I was met with severe eye rolling to say the least!

• zeroday*
  • rather be in hades
    rather be in hades

i'm also curious, what did they say about iphones?

• Conan The Barbarian
    Conan The Barbarian

Its just part of the WTS moving into the 21st Century and the digital age. As covered before in this Forum, there is a clear monetary advantage to providing literature digitally along with instructions, talk outlines and other items to the local and travelling Management. It is paid for by donations to the Worldwide work. Surprise! Surprise!

A Brother in my Congo gave a local needs talk about a year and a half ago discussing that using iPads and other Tablets at the Meeting can cause an "unecessary distraction" to the "Friends" and can be an inmodest show of one's personal wealth. This was mainly because an old Brother (who has more money than the US Treasury) was bringing his iPad to the meetings and was using it. It is all he carries to the meeting. About six months later, the Brother who gave the talk shows up at the meetings with somekind of a tablet. He runs an app with a large face countdown timer and faces it towards the current speaker, so the speaker knows how much time he has left in his talk/part. I am sure that this was sanctioned by some Authority somewhere.

A year and a half ago these things were tabu, now they are being handed out for free to the Travelling Management! You can't make it up.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit