Donations = iPads?

by Emery 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Emery
    Emery

I had my CO visit not too long ago and in our conversation on technology (i'm an apple guy) he stated that within the last year the Branch supplied all traveling Overseers with free iPads to use.

He then proceeded to tell me he doesnt personally bring his to the meetings as not to stumble anyone (or maybe because we might see his high score on Temple Run). I was pretty surprised by this and began wondering..

Are JW donations towards the world wide work going to iPads for DO's and CO's to use in their spare time? I always felt something like that was more of a luxury than a necessity

• sir82
    sir82

Why not?

Donations already go to free health care, free automobiles, free gas, free clothing, free rent, free hotel stays for assemblies & conventions, etc. for COs and DOs.

So why not an ipad or 2?

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

iPads and e-mail are cheaper than giving them books and sending them paper (with stamps).

iPad: $450 in bulk, $1.6/year to charge, no additional costs lasts about 5 years, they already have internet in their houses and most families (IF they stay at a local's house) have it as well.

Letter: ($0.45 + $0.10) * 10 * 52 = $286/year and that's if they don't have to reply in long-winded discussions with local elders over some snafu.

Books: $3/book + s&h (in bulk maybe $2) * 10 = $50/year

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

At the risk of sounding like an apologist, iPads are pretty useful to have at meetings and to read the PDF and ePub literature from jw.org. Additionally all correspondence to elders/Traveling overseers from the branch is in PDF format, they very seldom send letters anymore and iPads are pefect for reading those also.

• neverscreamagain
    neverscreamagain

Hey, no difference in the JW clergy than any other clergy.

Could also be a way to test market the field, see how it works. A subtle and slow introduction to the technology impaired.

Could eventually be another way to raise revenue, could get an Ipad fully loaded, at maybe only twice the cost of a normal one. They might even offer a payment plan suggested donation to keep the money coming in.

Funny that when I got the 1st Ipad I was still occasionally attending meetings. I scanned everything that would be needed for meetings and took it to use. You could tell that it was viewed as suspicious by many, to not be conforming to the way everyone else was doing things. But if they saw a CO or DO using one it would be no time before everyone would have to have one.

• baltar447
    baltar447

Those hypocritical #$%^&%$&^&$s. Anyone rememeber the A$$embly parts a few years ago directed specifically at iPhones???

With the BIG ASS manual????

• elderelite
    elderelite

Yes I do Baltar. I gave that part

But i also burns my ass in that they sent a letter to the elders telling us not to use ipads on the paltfrom becuase it might stumble some (letter has been shared here). so...... buy them for all CO's and DO's but dont use them....? really?

• Emery
    Emery

Yup I remember that. They made anyone purchasing the lastest phone/technology out to be some spiritually weak materialistic person.

• diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

But if they saw a CO or DO using one it would be no time before everyone would have to have one.

Bingo! Maybe wts can get a discount for r&f so they can buy Ipads cheaper through them, r&f save a little, wts makes a little, wouldn't that be a wonderful provision from Jehoova? They may have to do something about the problem of donations and getting taxed on income but I'm sure they can find a way around that. It wouldn't take much to sell the Ipad idea to r&f, if COs and DOs really got these from wts then you know they will be pushing this in the near future. Maybe they're learning something from scientology?

This would mean, r&f don't need to print off pdfs, wts doesn't need to print as much mags and the donations can continue to flow in towards www. With time, publishing facilities can be almost eliminated with just a couple necessary ones supplying mags to third world countries and donations used towards higher yielding investments instead of investing in a dying business of printing. As donations as shrinking now anyways, it's a good way to move assets around.

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

Well,I guess the Governing Body members wanted to share. They all got iPads,along with their assistants a couple of years ago. But,some were having trouble with the new technology.

How many parts on the assemblies and conventions about "keeping your eye simple" and how we don't need the latest gadgets.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit