tubal ligations

by crittersitter 16 Replies latest jw friends

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

The short answer to “Is surgical sterilization okay?” (by The Watchtower Society)

1999…NO
    1996…YES
    1985…YES
    1975…SOMETIMES
    1969…NO
    1961…NO

The long answers…

WT 6/15/99
    Questions From Readers. Since sterilization procedures are now said to be reversible on request, might a Christian view them as a birth-control option?
    …. is unrealistic to treat male or female sterilization lightly, as if it were temporary birth control. And for the sincere Christian, there are other aspects to consider. A central point is that reproductive powers are a gift from our Creator. His original purpose included procreation by perfect humans, who would “fill the earth and subdue it.” (Genesis 1:28) After the Flood cut earth’s population to eight, God repeated those basic instructions. ..God’s Law to Israel contained indications of his regard for human procreation…This law would clearly engender respect for reproductive organs; these were not to be destroyed needlessly…what if it became publicly known that a Christian blithely disregarded God’s evaluations? Would not others doubt whether he (or, she) was a good example, having a reputation of making decisions in harmony with the Bible? Such a disturbing blemish on one’s reputation could, of course, affect a minister’s being qualified for special privileges of service, though that might not be so if one had in ignorance had this procedure performed.—1 Timothy 3:7

WT 10/8/96
    …Are all methods for limiting family size valid? No. …. (Exodus 20:13; 21:22, 23) In the case of sterilization, such as by a vasectomy, the decision is one of personal conscience, since this is not directly mentioned in the Bible. “Each one will carry his own load.” (Galatians 6:5) And as there are various methods of birth control, medical guidance can help a couple decide whether they wish to employ a particular one or not.

WT 5/1/85
    Above all, a couple should keep a clear conscience before Jehovah and toward their fellow Christians. If a couple is thinking of sterilization as a form of birth control, they still should consider any effect their actions may have on others. Though married couples do not usually publicize their decision about birth control, if it became widely known that a couple had resorted to voluntary sterilization, would the congregation be greatly upset and lose respect for them? (1 Timothy 3:2, 12, 13) These are factors to consider very seriously, even in this private and personal matter. In the final analysis, Paul’s statement is appropriate: “To his own master [Jehovah] he stands or falls.”—Romans 14:4, 10-12.

WT 3/1/75
    In view of these Scriptural points, it should be evident that the bearing of children has divine approval. Hence, it would be wrong for one to submit to sterilization or approve of sterilization of one’s wife simply because one has no appreciation for God’s gift of the procreative powers. What, however, of the situation where one’s wife has given birth to children but has had to do so through surgical operations, such as cesarean section? She may have had as many as three such operations and her physician may warn her that a further pregnancy could place her in serious danger of experiencing womb rupture, generally fatal to both the mother and the fetus. Would sterilization in such a case necessarily show disrespect for the divine gift of procreation? It seems evident that the couple have not manifested a light attitude toward their procreative powers, having already brought forth children. They may view sterilization as a procedure advisable to protect the life of the mother of the children already produced. They may view it as a ‘last resort.’ Thus in making their decision they may feel that it is a question of balancing respect for God’s provision of the procreative powers with respect for the gift of life itself, in this case the life of the endangered mother. For this reason, and for additional reasons, it appears that such a decision is one that rests on the individual consciences of those involved. The qualifying for congregational responsibility on the part of a man who approves of sterilization due to his wife’s endangered state, then, is one that must be weighed in the light of Bible principles by the local body of elders. Does his life pattern as a whole show that he has deep respect for God’s Word or does he make light of its counsel? Does he show himself to be conscientious and serious in his decisions? If his motive in approving of sterilization were due to lack of respect for God’s standards, this disrespectful attitude would likely be manifest in other ways as well. On the other hand, if he measures up to the Scriptural requirements for those having congregational responsibility as set forth in 1 Timothy 3, Titus 1 and other texts, then the fact that his conscience allows for surgical sterilization as a life-protecting measure need not of itself disqualify him. Of course, the attitude of the congregation must be considered. If the matter became an issue of such proportion that it distracted measurably it could seriously limit his ability to serve with effectiveness. Weighing these factors, the elders should then make their decision.

WT 12/15/69
    Whether called “temporary” or not, just what is the Bible view of sterilization? God did not allow sterilization among the Israelites. To the contrary, he forbade his nation to make eunuchs, saying: “No man castrated by crushing the testicles or having his male member cut off may come into the congregation of Jehovah.” (Deut 23:1) Further, he gave laws that protected the reproductive powers. If a married woman endangered the reproductive powers of a man in a fight, she was severely punished for her act.—Deut. 25:11, 12. It is true that Christians are not under the requirements of the Mosaic law. (Rom. 6:14) But does one really want to know God’s thinking on the matter of sterilization? The above information is the only indication we have in the Bible. Those who are spiritually mature deeply appreciate having insight into God’s view so they can guide their steps accordingly. True, to some persons sterilization might seem to be a course that would require less in the way of self-control or would avoid the dangers associated with pregnancy for a woman in poor health, but note the attitude reflected in Psalm 143:10: “Teach me to do your will, for you are my God. Your spirit is good; may it lead me in the land of uprightness.” Mature Christians today manifest that same attitude in making their decisions.

WT 3/1/64
    But it should be noted that the use of contraceptives, such as birth-control pills, is not the same as sterilization. Sterilization, whether temporary or permanent, for the specific purpose of birth control would Scripturally be wrong. (For details, see The Watchtower of December 1, 1961, pages 734, 735.)

WT 1/1/62
    Is sexual sterilization of a man or woman Scripturally proper?
    No.—P. 734.

WT 12/1/61
    Why would God want to destroy a natural function that he put in man and woman for a valid purpose? …All this gives us some idea of how God feels when a person or a nation dedicated to him tampers with the reproductive organs, preventing their normal function. It is true that the Mosaic law containing the above provisions was done away with in Christ, but God has not changed his attitude on sterilization. The sense, the force, the basic, inherent idea and purport of the above laws remain in effect with respect to Christians, who are under a law even higher than that given through Moses. A dedicated Christian is under the law of loving Jehovah God with the whole heart, mind, soul and strength. The force and effect of sterilization is against this, as sterilization harmfully affects the asexualized person physically and mentally. A Christian is not a habitual criminal or an imbecile that needs to be sterilized. If a doctor claims that for a wife to have another child it would mean the death of her, then what? Then there is another way to prevent her conception, which conception might bring her life in jeopardy, than by violating the law of God, the whole tenor of which is contrary to deliberate asexualizing of a man or woman. If parents are living in poverty and could not afford to have another child, then there is another way to take care of this economic situation than by ruining those organs with which the perfect man and woman were endowed and which enter so strongly into the noble purposes of married life. There is the need for exercising the spirit of the Lord God, one of the fruits of which is self-control.—Gal. 5:22, 23. When a Christian understands the good purpose for which self-control must be exercised, then it appears to him reasonable and he is strengthened to exercise it, with the aid of God’s spirit

The following AWAKE! Mags have articles regarding dangers/problems regarding vasectomies: 8/22/79; 2/22/78; 9/8/78; 1/8/73; 3/22/73; 7/8/72.

Awake 3/22/74:…I am reminded of the comment that my father once made. I was home from medical school and performed a vasectomy on one of his patients who had asked to be sterilized. I was proud of my newly learned technique and asked my father what he thought of it. He replied: “The patient is no doubt pleased, but I wonder what the Creator thinks about it.”

In 1975 a crack team of publishers was sentenced to death by a judicial commiteee. They promptly escaped from the cult and now live life on the run. If you have a problem ... and if you can find them ... maybe you can contact the A--postate Team"

• mommy
    mommy

((((DUNGBEETLE)))) Darn girl you are good
    wendy

• Scully
    Scully

wt 3/1/75 states:

They may view sterilization as a procedure advisable to protect the life of the mother of the children already produced. They may view it as a ‘last resort.’ Thus in making their decision they may feel that it is a question of balancing respect for God’s provision of the procreative powers with respect for the gift of life itself, in this case the life of the endangered mother.

Yet, if she needs a blood transfusion, they expect her to forsake the gift of life and leave her 'children already produced' without a mother!

What a contradiction!

Love, Scully

• ofcmad
    ofcmad
    In the case of sterilization, such as by a vasectomy, the decision is one of personal conscience, since this is not directly mentioned in the Bible. “Each one will carry his own load.” (Galatians 6:5)

LOLOLOL...
    I guess that is taking the scriptures literally.
    Unfortunately they don't talk about the right to hold that load back..lollolol

• TR
    TR

chezza,

my husband (ex now) was a ministerial servant and the elders told us that if he got a vasectomy done he could lose his privliges
    That's exactly what they told my brother in his cong. However, in the cong. I went to, they said 'whatever, it's your choice, nobody's business but you own.

TR

I hold it to be the inalienable right of anybody to go to hell in his own way.
    --Robert Frost, 1935

• LDH
    LDH

great topic--nice to see you around, Critter.

Thanks for the copy and paste dung--appreciate it.

Lisa

• ianao
    ianao

:: LDH: ...nice to see you around, Critter

:o

Being southern, this term sounds funny coming from someone who recently had a baby...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit