So how will / should the Watchtower respond publicly when the news of their lawsuit loss hits the news?

by sir82 29 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• sir82
    sir82

In case anyone missed it:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/scandals/227017/1/Watchtower-found-guilty-ruled-to-pay-7-million-to-1-victim-wow

The WT has been found negligent and ordered to pay $7 million to a vistim of child abuse, plus punitive damages (not yet determined).

The punitive damages may well exceed the $7 million. The settlement could end up in the $10's of millions. That's Catholic-pedophile-priests-lawsuit large.

This is almost certainly going to be newsworthy. If the penalty is sufficiently large it may even get mention on national news outlets like ABC, CNN, Fox, etc.

So...

1) If the Watchtower had an ounce of ethics or responsibility, how should they respond?

2) Given their 130+ history, how do you think they will respond?

• Ding
    Ding

They'll just tell JWs it proves the world system is persecuting Jehovah's organization.

They'll stonewall everyone else.

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

They will probably send out another lame letter like the one they did when the infamous Dateline episode aired. It was read at a service meeting,and a few scriptures listed that had nothing to do wth anything.

I was still very much in and thinking,this doesn't help us in any way,trying to explain this.

• doinmypart
    doinmypart

They should admit error, apologize to all the victims of their policy and announce reforms.

They will probably say that they abhor child abuse and that molesters have no place in the CCJW.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Silence and a note to cong not to deal directly with inquiries on the subject

• simon17
    simon17

Is this a rare thing? I thought there have been a bunch of settlements against JWs for this sort of thing?

Anyway, I doubt 99% of witnesses will hear of this and it will just be entirely ignored and not addressed at all.

• doinmypart
    doinmypart

There have been other settlements, but the plaintiffs couldn't discuss the details upon settling the case. With this particular case the details are being made public.

• cedars
    cedars

This is a graphic from the latest September 15th Watchtower...

future events 1

future events 2

The next October 15th Watchtower will probably present "new light" that we have somehow skipped events 1 and 2, and jumped straight to event 3!

Either that, or events 1 and 2 happened "invisibly", or in a way that involved some kind of over-lapping!

Cedars

• Disillusioned Lost-Lamb
    Disillusioned Lost-Lamb

I don't know, this may be a huge wreck in the road or a mere pebble along the otherwise glossed over JW highway.

If it’s covered properly it will do some damage, but rest assured the wash-towel is probably already in damage control mode and will have their best spin-doctors working on this pronto.

• shamus100
    shamus100

I am skeptical as to it's newsworthiness but it could very well be. Frankly, I'm getting all tingly thinking about it!!!! :D

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit