Any hope?

by Kool Jo 16 Replies latest jw experiences

• Kool Jo
    Kool Jo

So as you may know, my parents are hardcore JW's...however, something they said to me a couple nights ago got me thinking and wondering if my parents could be awakened...

The C/O who was in town and in one of his talks, related an example of when he visited another congregation. He stated that he asked a sister why her husband wasn't at meeting with her....the sister stated that her husband was at work...the C/O's reply..."that's a horrible excuse"!?!?!?!

My parents found the C/O's comment disturbing...and when my parents brought up the conversation, I was surprised they said the C/O must have lost his mind...my parents stated nobody knows when the system is going to end so we still need to work and a man has the Biblical obligation to cater to his family. The other surprising thing my parents said was how many of the C/O's and those in the full-time ministry are out of touch with reality...My parents support "higher education" as long as you complete your education and are doing something to better yourself in life.

The other thing that got my parents thinking was that a bethel speaker who visited mentioned that a "Armaggedon Survival Kit" should be made in the event we have to go on the run...I told my parents that he's not the first speaker who has mentioned it and it's nothing to worry about...

Do you think my parents have any hope of starting to question other stuff, so they can learn the truth about the WTBS?

If my parents were to ever be awakend...life would be GREAT!!! I'm sure others here can relate....you may have good parents....just in a darn cult!

Kool Jo

• Gayle
    Gayle

since the organization over-directs everything, even to make a "survival kit," of what, and how much? Wouldn't their god take care of all that since they are supposed to be survivors?

But anyway,,maybe your parents are thinking, questioning? I hope so for you.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Hi Kool Jo, I wish you the best in awakening your parents. Have you thought of inviting them to go on some fun outings that would prevent them from attending a meeting or assembly? Is there someway to anonymously give them "Crisis of Conscience" by Raymond Franz? Can you send them an anonymous email like I wrote about in the thread http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/211893/1/Youe28099ve-Got-Mail-TM?

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Ask questions. Quality is better than quantity.

Preferably, ask about a subject they started.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

the sister stated that her husband was at work...the C/O's reply..."that's a horrible excuse"!?!?!?!

It's worth pointing out the the CO is in no position to criticize because HIS JOB IS TO BE AT THE KINGDOM HALL! Of course COs are "out of touch." They have no idea what it's like to work, take care of kids, pay the bills, pay for and maintain a car and a house, worry about insurance and retirement, plus go to meetings and go out in service. They get paid and treated like royalty just for the meetings and service part. Being at meetings and service is their only job. They expect the sheeple to spend their spare time on the weekends at preaching and meetings. Yet, the CO and COW get lots of free time, like all day Monday, to do whatever-the-hell they want. Ask them and they'll be like, "oh we're busy studying, shopping, doing laundry"... but who in the congregation gets a whole day free to do stuff like that? Plus, the CO has a free car, housing, and insurance. They are 100% clergy, and binding heavy loads on sheeples that they're not willing to lift a finger to help with.

a bethel speaker who visited mentioned that a "Armaggedon Survival Kit" should be made in the event we have to go on the run.

I'd suggest that the bethel speaker should be working on his "Post-Bethel Survival Kit." At the whim of Personnel, his phone may ring one day to come down for 'a chat.' Suddenly, he'll be the one that has to go on the run, and not from armageddon. And if it's so important to be prepared to go on the run, shouldn't the GB be investing in tents rather than building a new, big, expensive headquarters project where it would be very easy for the UN to find and attack them. In the event of an organizational crisis, it should be the boys at the top that should be the only ones really worried about running for their pathetic lives. Their pictures are all over the publications. I doubt that your family would need to worry about stuff like that.

However, if you live in such an area, having a plan in case of tornado or fire is really smart. Having extra copies of pictures or stuff like that stashed somewhere safe is a good feeling. The possibility of a basement flood destroying all those old home movies and baby pictures is a far more realistic danger than armageddon.

• linuxbob
    linuxbob

For some reason, most C/O's that I met had special diets.

• diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

I don't remember if you mentioned this or not prior, but your parents don't sound like they were born ins. Sounds like they are quite normal folks believing wts lies. Maybe ask them if they ever heard of or read of Crisis of Conscience and Ray Franz. If yes, then judging from their reaction you can ask more questions and if not maybe tell them you heard he was a gb member who stepped down and was df for eating a meal with a da employer and wrote autobiography. You can see their reaction and what they say, and from there you can either imply interest in reading the book and what they thought or simply end the conversation and agree that you shouldn't read ex-jw books.

Appearing quite normal they may be interested in reading it themselves. If they have interest in history or reading wts publications, you can try to get Russell's Thy Kingdom Come book in their hands as a present or maybe do some research on the 607 articles (2011, Oct & Nov) and find some books quoted in the articles and ask why the quotes mentioned in the wt article is a misquote to what the author was really talking about.

Ask questions, and watch their reactions and what they say and maybe you can get them to start to research.

• Disillusioned Lost-Lamb
    Disillusioned Lost-Lamb

There is always hope but unfortunately sometimes it doesn't pan out.

Kool Jo your parents may be in the same boat as my Mom.

She sees all the bad stuff and notices the crazy both with people and the teachings (I know this because she complains about it ALL THE TIME) but she refuses to actually accept that it really is all a bunch of bullshit.

So the problem isn't getting her to see their error it's getting her over her own pride. She uses the old, but wrong, where else would I go argument because she's been believing and following the $ociety for so long that she refuses to let it go She would also have to admit to herself, and everyone else, that she was wrong and, as we all know witlesses are never wrong, this is a big pill to swallow.

I love my Mom dearly but I don't know if she'll ever wake up, however I never give up the hope that she will.

• Kool Jo
    Kool Jo

@ Lost Lamb: I'm sorry to hear that your mum is in a similar situation like mine....she also shakes her head when she hear certain stuff from the platform, but at the same time says stuff like "the GB is perfect and can't make any mistakes"...so I know you can relate when it pains my heart to know that she may not "wake up" and continues to live like this unil the day she dies...and as she gets older she being more extreme...wish you all the best!

@Diamond: You're correct, my parents weren't born in...my dad was "spiritual but not religous" and my mum was an Anglican, but not a devouted one...if i were to bring up anything that serious like the 607/586 date, they'd proable quickly dismiss it...but as was said, I may talk about stuff they they bring up..

@BEX: Those folks have no idea about what occurs in the real world, so I feel like puking sometimes when I hear stuf like that...I mean, what the hell does the C/O expect the sister's hubby to do when he's got a family to cater to?

Keep you folks posted!

Kool Jo

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    I may talk about stuff they they bring up.

Don't tell them anything they don't want to know as that just IDs you as an opposer. Instead, ask questions in a way that makes them really want to have an answer.

Don't explain anything except to point out faulty logic, circular reasoning, double standards, subject avoidance etc.. Even that can be done by questioning.

Make them do the explaining. Make them explain why they think that a trick they used to get out of explaining a problem question is an acceptable behaviour.

Get them to do the research to find the info that they would rather not see, rather than handing it to them on a plate.

I.e. If you want to talk about 607, wait for them bring up something that lets you ask questions that eventually lead them to hang their hats on 1914, then ask them to show you how to work out 1914, wait for them to get to 607, then ask them to prove 607 using the lengths of the reigns of the kings in the WTCD. Hopefully they will try, then give up and give you the recent 607 WTs, which you can then question using info you find on JWN.

586/587 the K.I.S.S. approach --- no VAT4956, Ptolemy, Josephus needed

Don't let them get away with excuses like they were too busy, or are no good at maths.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit