You Know: Matt. 10:11-14, Please Respond

by tfs 25 Replies latest jw friends

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

“In saying this, Jesus is talking about the refusal to "receive" of a "witness" work, a preaching work that is carried out by the disciples of Christ? Thus, a refusal of a "witness" work, or a refusal of a "preaching" assignment, the "preaching of the kingdom of God," a "declaring of the good news" as mentioned at Luke 9:2 and Luke 9:6. “

I agian agree with Franz: "...Presenting only those parts of the text that speak of “searching out who is deserving,” and omitting the phrases that accompany those words, such as “stay there until you leave,” “stay in that house, eating and drinking the things they provide....Do not be transferring from house to house.”

Your statements convey very extraneous reasoning. You are reaching conclusions that are unsupported without some hole filling and some stretching. My viewpoint.

All the scriptures point to the peaching work taking place at the synagogue, the market, hillsides, etc., nowhere does the scriptures state that a systematic, “door to door” work was taking place.

• Farkel
    Farkel

: ThiChi, Ray Franz may have an opinion. So do others. So SHOULD YOU.

I do: it's all 2,000-year-old bullshit.

Farkel

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Ha, ha haaaa! Farkel, I love you man (as a brother). I just agree with Franz on this point. What can I do? Change my viewpoint because it is already taken? I disagree with Franz on other matters (like his take on Rev 21:).

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

It seems to me that Jesus and his disciples didn't visit a village just to obtain lodging. Seems to me that they went there with a purpose: to preach, heal, cast out demons, etc. and to accomplish this they needed a place to stay. They weren't supposed to change their base of operations from house to house. But no where were they told to go to court if they were unwelcome.

• Fredhall
    Fredhall

Farkel,

If it is 2,000 years old BULLSHIT, then eat some.

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

"Seems to me that they went there with a purpose: to preach, heal, cast out demons, etc. and to accomplish this they needed a place to stay"

Of course, but where did they preach is the question? The JWs wrongly use the "lodging" matter to show they went from door to door to make disciples. Just not true......

All the scriptures point to the peaching work taking place at the synagogue, the market, hillsides, etc., nowhere does the scriptures state that a systematic, “door to door” work was taking place.

• tfs
    tfs

ThiChi,

All the scriptures point to the preaching work taking place at the synagogue, the market, hillsides, etc., nowhere does the scriptures state that a systematic, “door to door” work was taking place.
    So based upon that statement, the disciples of Christ WERE engaged in "disciple-making", then.

Of course, not "door-to-door" preaching. But "disciple-making".

I agree wholeheartedly that JW "door-to-door" preaching is UNSCRIPTURAL.

But if you check back, I never once said anything about "door-to-door" preaching. We were talking about "disciple-making". One work is Biblical and one work is not. Go back and check what I said.

However, as you've said above, the disciples of Christ were engaged in various forms of "disciple-making". And if they were going to stay in a particular area for any length of time, they needed "logding" to support and sustain that particular christian "activity".

So its not about foolish "JW mantra", (as I would be the first to condemn it) but about what the Bible actually teaches, period.

tfs

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

One more time:

YOU wrote:
    “Recently, Jesus' clear disciple-making instructions at Matt. 10:11-14 and Luke 9:5...... “

I maintain that Matt 10:11-14 and Luke 9:5 are not “Clear disciple-making instructions,” but only instructions on how to obtain lodging.

Let all the readers make up their minds.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

ThiChi: I agree with you that the Scriptures do not advocate a door to door basis for preaching. But it seems to me that Jesus and his disciples' ministry did not exclude houses. See Luke 5:17-26 (verse 19 indicates Jesus was preaching in a house); compare with Mark 2:1-12; Luke 8:51 (here Jesus raises Jairus' daughter in a house); Luke 14:1-24(here in the context of a meal in a house Jesus addresses the Pharisees and guests--gives a parable), etc. Certainly St. Paul preached and taught not only in public but in homes as well. (Acts 20:20-21) And Peter, who had been with Jesus, had no qualms of preaching in Cornelius' house (Acts 10:34-48). The early Christians met in upper rooms (presumably in homes?) for prayer (Acts 1:12-14),
    for preaching (Acts 20:7--12). Maybe these meeting places are the house churches of Romans 16:5? At any rate, it seems to me, that homes were not used solely for lodging purposes.

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

“”But it seems to me that Jesus and his disciples' ministry did not exclude houses.”“

Who stated that "houses" were excluded?

Was Jesus preaching at a strangers house, found going "door to door," or was he already a guest there as a friend? Preaching in a house is not the issue. Can we make the claim that the preferred, “scripturally” accepted way is from House to House as the Jws claim? The answer is no.

Agian, Jesus was just giving instructions for lodging. Jesus was not giving “detailed instructions” on making disciples. The bottom line, there is no preferred way to make disciples.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit