lds.org or watchtower.org - where's the truth?

by fodeja 11 Replies latest jw friends

• fodeja
    fodeja

http://www.watchtower.org

http://www.lds.org/

Most people here will know the first website, but probably not the second one. Imagine you're a web-surfing person mildly interested in religion, who doesn't know anything about Dubdom or the Mormons yet. You may notice some differences in site navigation and design (the LDS is definitely ahead these days - their site looks much sharper). You may notice that the Mormon site is offering a wide range of content, whereas the JW site is mostly offering a sampling of WTS literature snippets.

But there's one striking difference in content. Where's the bible? Compare the front pages: on the LDS site, there's a large, visible link to "The Scriptures" in the left upper corner. One mouse click, and you can read what's supposed to be the book of books for all "true Christians", right online, with footnotes and index.

Now compare watchtower.org: you can read about their "bible-based publications", browse an assortment of more or less scriptures-related articles from Awake! and the WT, you can request a "free home bible study", you can even watch a video that tells you how oh-so-important the bible is for all of us. But where is the bible?! Where is the best of all bible translations, the famous NWT? Shouldn't that be much, much more important than some old Awake! article about whether it's okay for Christians to pick their noses?

Hm.

f.

• Adonai438
    Adonai438

True--
    LDS do claim to be biblically based but be cautious.
    Without getting into a debate here I'll just say that just because they claim to have Bible support and display that prominently doesn't mean it's the truth.
    In personal experience with Mormons they many times over use Christian/Biblical terminology but switch the meaning without telling anyone-- their tactic-- which is openly admitted among the LDS is to assimilate with the Christian church and look as much like it as possible. They win converts that think they are joining another denomination and it's encouraged to portray that. They are not the same thing or even close as one finds out the longer they study with the elders.
    As we have learned as ex-dubs-- be cautious and study the Bible ourselves--
    trust no person to teach you the truth
    <>< Angie

• Dutchy
    Dutchy

Sorry, the Truth is in neither of those religions.

• fodeja
    fodeja
    Sorry, the Truth is in neither of those religions.

Damn. But then, I already know where The Truth is: http://www.ology.org/principia/

f.

• Dutchy
    Dutchy

Hi Fodeja: Went to the site. Thanks for the link. Very intersting.
    Deutsche Akademische Gesellschaft fur wissenschaftlichen und angewandten Diskordianismus.

• Moxy
    Moxy

anyone trying to decide what religion to join based on their respective website deserves what they get.

"watchtower.org is the most ported website of all time, available in whole or in part, in over 12,350,400 browser, Operating System and transfer protocol configurations. This fact alone shows that watchtower.org is a unique website, deserving of our attention."

- Watchtower, April 15, 2054.

mox

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

First of all, I don't think you can equate the Mormans with JW's (although people try all the time). I know several Mormans and a couple of JW's and I must say, they kind of reflect their websites that you posted. I always thought my JW acquaintences were 'playing' me...a kind of hidden agenda going on, and this board brings into focus those feelings. On the other hand, my Morman friends, like their website are very open, can discuss anything, and if you agree or disagree it's ok...the world's not going to fall apart and no one's going to hell.

I've had many scriptural conversations with Mormans, and all from my part asking questions...it was never them pushing their religion or the in-your-face approach. Adonai, most of your postings elsewhere I've agreed with you and your common sense, however this time I must disagree based on my own experience. The Mormans believe in the Bible and use The King James Version...to say they switch the meaning of the scriptures is ludicrous...that's like the Catholics saying the Protestants switched the meaning, or the Baptist switch the meaning on baptisms by immersion rather that sprinkling like the Catholics....nobody switched anything. It's their interpretation of the Bible. Christianity's take on scriptures at 400 A.D. was different than the first century Christian Church's beliefs ...this is nothing new (but that's another discussion). And what's this about LDS trying to 'assimilate' with the Christian Church....they are what they are. The bible says in 1 JOHN 4:15 "Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God." Mormans definately believe that Jesus is the Christ, the only begotten Son of God, and it is through His sacrifice and grace that eternal life is found. Now that is the basis of Christianity...everything else, the differences in interpretations is sweating the small stuff.

• TD
    TD

I grew up in an extremely Mormon area and have spent countlesshours both in friendly discussion and outright debate with Mormon classmates and workmates. There are certainly a number of legitimate comparisons that can be drawn between the LDS church and JW’s

These include, but are not limited to:

An aging and all too fallible leadership that wants to be respected as God's channel to mankind and heartily resents any serious questioning of that status.

A substantial amount of baggage from the past that is embarrassing but can't be dumped all at once because the process of repudiating old doctrines will undermine the faith of current believers and the credibility of previous church figures.

An "official" church history that can easily be refuted from the church’s past publications.

An "official" ancient history that is soundly refuted by modern archeology.

The same mindless invocation of "the light getting brighter" even when the new light directly contradicts what was once held as older light.

This is not to say that Mormons, like JW's are not usually decent human beings. They are. The similarities are largely the product of their respective organizations.

Tom

• TR
    TR

Hey cool! Check out the family tree info on the Mormon site. Very cool.

TR

I hold it to be the inalienable right of anybody to go to hell in his own way.
    --Robert Frost, 1935

• Adonai438
    Adonai438

Double Edge---
    But do they really believe Jesus is the Christ?
    What is 'the Christ' to them?
    *To them he is the brother of Satan, literally.
    *He is not their savior- he is their example only.
    *They are to follow Jesus' example which they believe will lead them on a path of exultation to Godhood. Yes, physical Godhood in which they will literally have their own planet to populate with their literally Godess wife. They don't preach that door to door and many other rather shocking beliefs you don't find out until you're 'in'.

Yes they use the KJV in word but do they in deed? No. They have also added books that are supposed to be scripture that is in direct opposition to the Bible -KJV or not. Aside from argueing if it is allowable to have more books of scripture the book of mormon's content is directly against biblical teaching let alone full of errors etc...

I don't 'rant' about this to hurt anyones feelings as I respect everyones personal freedom to study and choose but on a purely biblical and scholarly level-- LDS is not christian. It's not a denominational issue-- all christian denominations are equally God's children and equally saved, I don't have a problem with that. It's not about intolerance or different oppinions on small things- it's about the big stuff- you know, God. How many are there and who is he etc... LDS says there are an infinite number of gods past and future and that every mormon will evolve to godhood. That is not biblical
    (or for that matter, even in the Book of Mormon.).

Anyone interested in discussing can e-mail me-- I try to be impartial in discussion with individuals-- when posting my opinion I tend to ramble more . I have read the Bible in it's entirity and I have read most of the Book of Mormon as I have discussed with over 200+ missionaries in our area. I also have a close friend that was mormon and became christian who knows a lot of the inside info. I am not infallible and encourage personal study of God's word above all else but do feel that I have studied this almost as much as I have JWs and am decently qualified to discuss it intelligently.
    Ok- I'll let it go for now <>< Angie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit