Nathan Knorr's own circuit assembly badge?

by FatFreek 2005 33 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

Hi VM,

If I hear from that person again I'll try to remember to ask that question. However, several days ago I asked a few other questions via return email but have not heard back.

Fats

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

Here's the only reference I can find to that assembly discourse. Beginning in September of 1970, it may have been given for the following six months.

A new circuit assembly program is scheduled to begin in September. We believe you will find it most informative and upbuilding. The public talk will be “Who Will Conquer the World in the 1970’s?” Our Kingdom Ministry, 7/70 p. 3 Announcements

As to Knorr and his little buddy, they were both still going strong in early 1971 as noted by the following:

In this country of about four million people, 80 percent of whom are Moslem, 178 of Jehovah’s witnesses carry on their preaching activity. The assembly was not advertised, but was in the nature of a private gathering. The peak attendance was 325. Both the president of the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society, N. H. Knorr, and the vice-president, F. W. Franz, appeared several times on the program, speaking through interpreters. The Watchtower, 1971 2/15 p. 123 Is Unity Possible Among All Ethnic Groups? Fats
  • Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Lets not forget the big international assemblies of 1969, which I believe that assembly badge particularly relates to.

Gee I wish I kept mine.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Trhough clicking on links here, I found a specialty website that sold the orange Paradise Lost book of my youth for about $125. I wan't it as a souvenir but did not know if I could keep it in my house. That book aroused many terrors for children. I just checked on Amazon-not expecting a niche weird religious book to be there. It sold for $1.

I loved international assemblies of the 1950s. There are so many photos of me posing with Witnesses in their native garb at Yankee Stadium. They were the highpoint of my convention experience.

What do people attribute the growth to during Knorr's tenure? If I recall, it exploded. Was Rutherford not good at organization? What was KNorr's great gift?

Granted, I always heard organization but what are the specifics? My memories are different than many people here. I always found him a much more compelling speaker than Franz. Knorr told you how we were spreading and going more mainstream. Franz lectured all these bizarre and obscure doctrines that made me more embarassed. The males in my family detested Knorr in the factory. It appears that was a universal feeling.

I wonder how people would compare power to the situation in China or North Korea.

• factfinder
    factfinder

My first Circuit Assembly was in 1977.

I really like the design of that lapel card. I like the way they designed the lapel cards and programs back then.

In the 90's they became very plain and boring like they are now.

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

Hi BOTR,

Sounds like you and I are contemporaries. I was baptized in '56. At the '57 District Assy in Baltimore I was gung ho and wanted to go to Bethel in the worst way. One brother Bobby Anneheim, from New Bedford, Mass, was working in Bethel at the time and heard about my feelings. He asked me if I'd like to meet Bro Knorr (knowing that I would hear the party line) and I was thrilled. He took this 16-yr-old (me) to one of those offices beneath the stadium seats and I had my 4 minute audience. Wait -- I was the audience and he was the speaker. "No", he said, "finish that last year of high school -- then send in your application." It was the harsh, scolding manner that he used during that meeting that I remember most.

Fats

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Can anyone else confirm that the assembly badge is from the 1969 international district convention ?

Just curious , I was only 12 at the time .

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

FatFreak,

I was born-in. The crowd at my KH barely knew who Knorr was. I am shocked that he told you to finish school. Do you mean he did it a very gruff manner?

Someone kept this all these years b/c it has Knorr's signature. Wow. Talk about sick. I looked on Ebay for JW memorabilia and saw intact phonographs that my mom said they used to take in service door to door. They were selling for a lot. Of course, they are much older than the badge. I wonder if ex-Witnesses, scholars, or Witnesses collect. Perhaps all three.

My father used to dump us at the assembly/convention and disappear socializing for hours with Bethelites and former Bethelites. He came to pick us up at the very end - after the last song. I don't think I could have weathered a one-to-one with Knorr or Franz. The importance and the gravity would freeze me. Ah, this is finally so hilariously funny. So you have very special entree.

My father never wanted to go to Bethel. He was very big and worked in a coal mining shoaring up the mine for the workers. Rutherford saw him from distance. He was drafted. His years were very unhappy.

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

Hi BOTR,

Do you mean he did it a very gruff manner?

I would have to say the word condescending would more properly describe his manner. Hey, he was the big cheese at that time. When you think about it, from the early 40's when he took over, there were very few people with whom he had a conversation that he would feel is at his level of intellect, power, prestige, etc.

Even before I left the org some 20 years later I'd heard of his public belittling of Bethel brothers at the dinner table where hundreds could listen in on his chastisement of some Bethelite for some rules infraction.

One thing I learned from my parents is they kept my own discipline private and at home.

Someone kept this all these years b/c it has Knorr's signature. Wow. Talk about sick.

Like I said earlier, Knorr was regarded by many, including this person, (though disliked by even many Bethelites) as god-like.

Fats

• Ding
    Ding

WT apologists on JWN: Please answer the question on the badge: "Who Will Conquer the World in the 1970s?"

Interesting title talk for JWs who think that the org didn't really teach anything about 1975, that it was all individual JWs' speculation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit