2005 - The year the Society began its decline (without anyone noticing)!

by cedars 112 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Looking back over the time I was in bethel, I think the decline began around 2001. I was still in bethel then and heard that donations had taken a steep decline during the pre-9/11 recession. After 9/11, the number of publishers took a jump as some faders and by-standers reactivated. I didn't get the impression that donations completely recovered, but they had improved some and stablized. The 9/11 excitement later stagnated. There was no sustained increases going forward.

In the 3 years or so after 9/11, I didn't see indications that the society was 'suffering' financially. I noticed some department shuffling and cost-cutting, but the corp was still spending and moving forward on expensive projects expanding Wallkill for more printing. Departments like Audio/Video Services were still spending a lot on productions and sign language stuff. But Information Systems and lots of the bethel home departments were getting slashed. By 2005, it was becoming more obvious inside Bethel that things were changing, uncertain, shrinking instead of growing. In the late 90s, there had been a lot of talk about building at South Lansing, NY, but that wasn't going to happen as the 2000s rolled around. At the time, I think Canada still had a lot of unused space in their expanded branch. There was talk of expanding Patterson, but that didn't seem realistic. There was talk of a big project on WT's big DUMBO property, but that wasn't moving forward. More bethelites were "leaving" and not being replaced... myself included. This was about the same time that they reduced Awake! to monthly.

About a year later was "here's your special dinner... to go" program. That's when they informed the US bethel family that many of them would have the "privilege" of returning to support the growth in the field. *barf* I was glad to be long gone before that happened.

I believe you are correct that 2005 would be a turning point when the society finally gave outward appearances that things were not well in WTland. I would go earlier around 2001 that the "upward momentum" of the society really stopped. I think they've done enough shuffling for the past decade that they have hid many of their problems. I would suspect that the number of publishers has already been decreasing, but they've been juggling the numbers to hide that reality. They've reduced the hours for reg pios, and the reduced hours for aux pios during the campaign months. Cuts and reductions are all over the place. And now 1/2 magazines? Even if they were just doing 'okay', I don't think WT would be cutting the magazines in half. It will be interesting to see the reaction to the smaller magazines next year.

Any predictions on what will get cut next? I'm thinking fewer COs in larger circuits.

• cedars
    cedars

Billy the Ex-Bethelite:

Any predictions on what will get cut next? I'm thinking fewer COs in larger circuits.

I would think your estimate would be far better informed than mine!! All I would say is, if you can imagine it - they'll cut it. It's just a matter of how much and how quickly.

I do appreciate your unique insight, especially as it stems from personal experience. The only thing that surprises me is how long it's taken for the branch closures to become noticeable - a good 5 years after the first reduction in magazines.

Cedars

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Cedars: nobody saw it - including me!

I believe the REAL LEADERS of the WTBTS, the lawyers and the accountants, saw it and that's why they're doing what they are doing.

go on take the money and run

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

They are growing, but consider where.

They like to tout numbers of growth, but behind the scenes, adding in 50,000 poor farmers from an impoverished country aren't going to as financially beneficial to them as 1,000 new members in an industrialize nation.

They are growing, but losing money. Even with minor growth in the US, I'm sure donations are down. The first thing I did when I realized it wasn't the truth was stop donating. I was on the books for years after that, but they never got a dime.

I'm sure donations are waaaay down. I think this recent move of selling off property is to get investment income to bridge the gap.

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

Sorry y'all, life and work is running me ragged at the moment, but I'll get the letter up in an hour. :-))

Thanks Cedars, but please send the file again. I see the email, it has a paper clip (like it has an attachment), but I can't for the life of me see the file! I hate the new Google mail interface.

Randy

• moshe
    moshe

The writing department is getting pretty long in the tooth, so in order to fill the empty desks the WT org has found a new source of cheap labor. However, they can't type very fast, so the only solution was to reduce the monthly page count.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

The only thing that surprises me is how long it's taken for the branch closures to become noticeable - a good 5 years after the first reduction in magazines.

Well, it's not like they advertise the branches they're closing or properties they're selling. A decade ago, branch dedications were a huge deal, big projects with big budgets, big dedication program celebrations attended by plenty of GB and heavies. There'd be articles in the magazines and more about them in the yearbook. That's been winding down for some time now. In the 2011 yearbook, 5 branches are mentioned for expansions or small ones built. Not much fanfare about any of them. Just small b/w pix in the yearbook. It seems really lowkey compared to previous years. The report on Latvia branch dedication seemed particularly odd, no pictures or any mention of the actual building. The 2012 yearbook has color pictures for the "branch dedications". But even with large pictures, large font, and a rather large margin, it's only two pages! And get this... Chile was an expansion that began in 2006 and the actual dedication was in 2010. That's certainly not a "current" project. Burkina Faso isn't even a branch, it's just an office which, according to the picture, doesn't even seem to have a sign in front of it. And the Hong Kong "dedication" was just some new office space on the 19th floor of an office building.

Part of it must be that building or expanding branches are 3-8 year projects, or so. I would suspect that they had money budgeted forward to care for the branches to expand/operate. The stagnation of the branch expansion began before the branch closures that are now taking place. I think they were in the ackward position of having committed to some projects in some countries at the same time their budgets were getting tight.

• metatron
    metatron

I regret to mention one horrible possibility: they cut everything, neglect congregations, exploit publishers but KEEP GROWING!

Wouldn't it be awful if they've underestimated the pull of their cultish habits? Hey, most of the door to door ministry is already a waste - most baptisms are somebodies kid or workmate.

Could we end up with a cult that won't die no matter what the Society does? Or cuts?

I've said that you could have the Governing Body sodomize boys on a parade float being towed down Broadway at high noon and still have zombie Witnesses say, "Well, it's still the truth".

Please! I'm scared of own rhetoric!

metatron

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

Cedar's article is here - I thought it would be better to have it's own thread and responses:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/224789/1/Cedars-Why-The-Watch-Tower-Society-Is-Already-In-Decline

Start posting on it! :-))

Randy

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Personally I think the beginning of the decline can be dated quite specifically to the 9th of February 1990, when the Watchtower stopped charging for the literature in the United States and introduced the "donation arrangement". That fateful decision fundamentally altered the financial and incentive structure of the organisation in a way that is still playing out more than two decades later.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit