New Zealand bethel is to be closed down.

by karter 80 Replies latest jw experiences

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

"Austria where they have generally had good relations with the authorities"

Not always, there was lot of fuzz some years ago in connection with a child issue. A special brochure was issued. Mainly the press, but the judicial system too.

Other branches to close? Denmark, Sweden and Norway are to be merged into one branch within a year's time.

• Zordino
    Zordino

Now that the world has changed with the Internet being a primary source of info, they are Liquidating some of their matured real estate investments "That being Branch offices" which are not necessary to spread their cancerous message. Getting those millions of dollars out and investing it in more Lucrative investment vehicles that will generate a much larger return.... Its Corporate Business 101! Simple as that.

• dozy
    dozy

While I can understand the WTBTS's need to conserve cash & sell off assets & reduce its legal footprint in as many lands as possible , personally I think this sell off of peripheral Bethels is a mistake. For one thing , selling off properties at what may well be the bottom of the property cycle is a bad move - the Irish Bethel is still dormant & unsold at half the price the WTBTS could have got for it a few years ago. Also the lack of any kind of centre for the WTBTS in a country and control from a centre many miles away must make things more difficult to manage. I know just how resentful many of the Irish brothers are at the asset stripping of the WTBTS - many of whom worked for months on the project for free and often contributed a lot financially as well.

The original dedication article in the WT makes somewhat ironic reading now....

w87 8/1pp.30-31InNewZealand—A Day to Remember Perhaps the main thing that made the day unforgettable was the awareness that Jehovah’s blessing had guided the construction work and brought it to fruition. Appropriately, one section of the day’s program was entitled: “The Good Hand of Our God Upon Us.”—Nehemiah 2:8.

The good hand of Jehovah was seen in the helpfulness and cooperation of the local businessmen and authorities, as well as in the Christian qualities manifested by the workers themselves on the site. One businessman, visiting the building site, noted: “I have never experienced anywhere else the feeling of peace and tranquillity that I have when I am here.”

Jehovah’s blessing was seen in the generosity of the ordinary Witnesses around the country who supported the project financially. It was also observed in the willingness of those who offered themselves to do the actual work. Altogether, 1,237 filled out applications volunteering their service, some traveling to the site from distant lands and at their own expense to spend a few weeks or months helping in construction work. Said one brother: “Helping out on the site was a turning point in my life.”

As Brother Barr mentioned in the dedication talk, the new branch facilities should be viewed as “an outward, tangible evidence of God’s Messianic Kingdom now established.” Yes, it was truly a memorable day for New Zealand. At the end, there was a heartfelt response on the part of all in attendance to a resolution pledging “full support to Jehovah’s organization as represented by our branch.”

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

wtf

actually i'm not surprised, everything for nz is now in australia

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

I sold them wallpaper for that bethal, imported wallpaper at $2 per roll

• steve2
    steve2

At last, we can blame the Aussies for keeping the organization going...

• zeb
    zeb

...............and the money will go where? What of those who have spent a life time there (perhaps) i suppose they will be dumped onto the NZ taxpayers via the pension scheme to feed while the WTS grabs the proceeds of the NZ bethel sale and runs.

• karter
    karter

Finallysomepride.

I hung that wallpaper.

• still thinking
    still thinking

lol karter & finallysomeprid....I ate the muffins

• steve2
    steve2

Does anyone know if John Wills and wife Lorraine are still at the New Zealand branch? They've both been well-regarded JWs for decades. Wonder what they'll do now - although I should imagine they're probably already or near retirement. John was a very personable man who dressed well (as did Lorraine of course). I'm indirectly related to Lorraine as one of my JW aunties married Lorraine's brother. One of my JW relatives told me just a few years ago that Lorraine had purposely put off having any children so she and John could serve singlemindedly. John was an excellent example of sartorial elegance to many JW men in the organization who had no dress sense at all!

I have nothing but praise for John and Lorraine and hope they will not be put out in the cold!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit