Answer I got to the UN association.

by Inisc 41 Replies latest jw friends

• Inisc
    Inisc

So, this a long story but I'll try to keep it short. This was about 2years ago,

My wife brought up the UN thing to my parents, much to their horror and despite me advising her not to. And once they got over their panic that we must have been on some apostate websites, they listened to us but refused to believe it!

Just refused to even consider the idea. Not surprising at all you may say, and I agree.

However, explaining that it is even on the official UN website, they reluctantly agreed to have a look. And then when faced with something they couldn't realistically explain away, my mother reasoned that well the society must have had a very good reason to do it! That was the end of that and they did not want to investigat any further.

So, I suggested asking an elder about it, (and also to say someone on field service asked him about it) so that's what my dad did. He asked and the elder had never heard anything of the sort and said he would look into it and get back to him about it.

A few weeks passed, and nothing. I asked my dad again, and said would ask the elder if he found anything out,

And get this, the elder said 'oh yeah that, that was just a big hoax!!!!!'

WTF!?!?!

so either the elder is lying or he didn't even bother to find out in which case he's lying about that too.

Has this happened to any one else?

And why does nobody have any clue about It? Normally everything spreads like wild fire but this no one has ever heard of.

Needless to say my folks believed the elder and that was the end of that!

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Cognitive dissonance is a bitch!

Just demonstrates the lack of intellectual curiosity/honesty most have.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Many JWS in their all encompassing agenda to protect the organization's image (god's earthly organization) will dodge any contravening information

that inflicts damage to that agenda. Lie if you must, twist or spin information but at all cost protect the organization, this is where fear induced mental

indoctrination kicks in and protecting the image of organization is also about protecting their own purported self image.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

the elder said 'oh yeah that, that was just a big hoax

A big hoax that the UN itself would have to be in on, given the fact that there's information about it on their official website. And what would the purpose of this hoax be?

Despite what JWs may believe, their religion isn't important enough to the UN for them to go to such lengths to discredit them.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Does anyone have a link to info regarding the WT/UN NGO issue on the UN Official Website? I tried searching and couldn't find it.

I did find this web archive link but not a current one:

Letter from the United Nations DPI/NGO Resource Center (March 4th, 2004):

Recently the NGO Section has been receiving numerous inquiries regarding the association of the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York with the Department of Public Information (DPI). ....

http://web.archive.org/web/20060625030756/http://www.un.org/dpi/ngosection/pdfs/watchtower.pdf

• diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

UN took the letter down a while back. You can find copies of the letter maybe screenshots but that's about it. UN had the letter response up for a long long time before they decided to take it down - very unfortunate since JWs have hard time even accepting this when they see it on a UN's official site.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

...my mother reasoned that well the society must have had a very good reason to do it!

That's exactly how everything gets explained away. They, the GB knows better, don't question them

• james_woods
    james_woods

This belongs on that thread about "What were some of the worst examples of the JWs modifying their own history as a coverup".

Certainly one of the worst examples of whitewashing embarassing historical fact.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

The WT's excuse for their NGO affiliation with the UN was supposedly to obtain a "library card."

But when you compare that to the fact that, if any R&F JW went to the YMCA to go swimming, they would be labeled an apostate and summarily DF'd, then we get a sense of the hypocrisy going on here!

• "In joining the YMCA as a member a person accepts or endorses the general objectives and principles of the organization. He is not simply paying for something he receives, such as when buying things being sold to the public at a store. (Compare 1 Corinthians 8:10; 10:25). Nor is his membership merely an entry pass, as when a person buys a theatre ticket. Membership means that one has become an integral part of this organization founded with definite religious objectives, including the promotion of interfaith. Hence, for one of Jehovah's Witnesses to become a member of such a so-called "Christian" association would amount to apostasy." - w79 1/1 p. 31
  • wha happened?
    wha happened?

that one really blew up on them for the moment. Non JW's saw this as just another nutty example of a cult, 'dubs saw this as an attack and they persevered. They don't pay attention that the WT is still an NGO

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit