Would this bug you?

by still thinking 84 Replies latest jw friends

• ziddina
    ziddina

[page 1...]

I liked Scully's idea....

"Start showing up at her place at dinner time, expecting to be invited to say and don't bother helping with the clean up, and see how she likes it. ..."

And Ohio Cowboy's idea...

"In regards to the latest situation tonight of her saying that she will bring dessert, tell her that Dessert would be nice, and you will be sure to have a pot of coffee ready to have with it (no dinner)."

And as he said, if she takes umbrage at that, it shows that she's actually a "user", and not your friend at all...

And since I'm still on page 1, I can't WAIT to read what happened!!!

• ziddina
    ziddina

Hmmm......

I've reached page 3...

I wonder if she's doing this with any of her other friends??? I wonder if this is how she's keeping her kid well fed...?

It's good that she/they helped set the table.... Now get them both started on cleaning up...

And as [I think it was???] Ohio Cowboy suggested, see if you can help her get food stamps....

• still thinking
    still thinking

scully....

Boiled eggs and toast.

Well I would....but I usually give her eggs to take home because we have chickens and often have a surplus.

zid...

I wonder if she's doing this with any of her other friends???

I don't know...I've never thought of that. Mind you, she has pissed a lot of her other friends off over the years. There aren't a lot left. She tends to be a bit judgemental sometimes...and most don't like it. She has told me things she's said to people and it makes me cringe. Fortunately she doesn't speak to me like that.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Maybe someone has said this: ask her to bring supper with her. Tell her you want to go to her place for dinner. Ask to change it up. She likely assumes everything is fine with your current pattern because you have seemed amenable to it. Instead of thinking the worst of her, just give her the chance to treat you. Also, ask her if she will wash dishes and you dry. Or, "Hey, come on, let's discuss such and such further while we clear the table and do the dishes together."Some women assume other women will not welcome help in the kitchen.

You can probably get what you want without making her feel confronted.

• still thinking
    still thinking

FlyingHigh...

She likely assumes everything is fine with your current pattern because you have seemed amenable to it.

I think this really is the case...I have let this happen. And I am going to take some of the advice here. It is good.

She really seemed to have no problem when I asked her to set the table...I think I need to take a good look at what I do and how I do it. Like Aussie said right at the start....people do what we let them do...At the end of the day...I have allowed, maybe even encouraged this to happen. So I need to change what I do. And I am going to.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Invest in a big diary, inform your friend that you are approaching life with a new mindset and that you want to really get organised ( write that novel, start Zumba classes etc.) and actually plan their next visit into your diary. You can then indicate which is the best time and also plan when you are going over there. Get some activities planned for the evenings so that you can legitimately let them know you aren't available ( evening walks, movies, star gazing, knitting classes etc. whatever floats your boat) and arrange to meet via the diary. You then get to identify what you are expecting ( have an evening outdoor picnic, say 'how about sharing , I'll bring the drinks and a dessert') if she starts to shy away from providing then you pretty much know that she's mooching off you for food and you can charitably accept that and help her out or accept you'll be seeing less of her as you stick with the diary.

• still thinking
    still thinking

The diary is a great idea Qcmbr...in more ways than one...I could do with being a bit more organised to be honest. I could be Ms efficient...LOL that'd be a change and a shock to all that know me.

I'm as efficient as hell when I'm working...but at home...na.

• karter
    karter

If i'm doin the wahing up ill take JRK'S advice.

Karter.

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

I was friends with someone for 20 years as well... And it took a long time and a verbal bash over the head from my BF before I realized just how much she was using me.

Whenever things went wrong for her, I was the first person she called... But in between, she never called just to see how I was. Mind you, she let me stay with her for a few months after my separation and I was grateful for that, but damn did I pay for it later! And I found out from her husband that she bitched about me being there the WHOLE time, even though I was cleaning her house and walking to the supermarket for her. I spent thousands of dollars of my hard-earned money to help her out. I bought her Christmas tree in 2010 and she didn't even have the decency to let me decorate it with her even though it was supposed to be my first Christmas...she waited until I went home and decorated it with her daughter. I would take her out to get her in the fresh air and out of the house alone, I was going over and cleaning her flithy house every couple of weeks because she was lazy as hell...she had roaches in her refrigerator!! I was babysitting her daughter while she stayed in bed all day... I stood there and held her hand while she had a c-section. She paid me back by going behind my back and stealing my boyfriend. And then expected that I should be completely okay with all of this and give them my blessing.

The reason I say this is because I taught her the way I was to be treated. For 20 years I let her walk all over me... She stole my clothes when we were in school together... I said nothing because I couldn't prove it. But I knew. And as adults, she continued to use me and eventually abuse my kindness and trust. I taught her that I would put up with this stuff and allow her to continue it. When I refused to allow it anymore, she got pissed off and tried turning it around and blaming me.

So, basically, you showed her the way you should be treated. You've allowed the behavior for 20 years, so this is just another week for her. Next week, when she says she's coming over, simply say "We're actually going to have a nice quiet family dinner tonight...we'll be done around _____, if you want to come by afterward for coffee". I mean, you only get coffee when you go to her house, right? So why should she be entitled to a full meal at yours on a weekly basis?

Having less doesn't give someone a license to invite themselves to other people's homes for dinner. The few times BF and I dropped in on someone during dinner accidentally, we didn't presume they would feed us. In fact, when they offered, we always refused...until they got adamant and insisted we eat LOL. But we always helped with cleanup. And many times, we'd call and tell them not to cook anything and we'd bring dinner to them. I know if I had someone repeatedly coming to my home and assuming I was going to give them dinner, I'd get ticked off pretty quickly...especially if they never offered to bring a dinner item (it's not expensive to open a can of veggies!) or never offered to help set up or clean up. I'd feel very put-upon and that person wouldn't last as a friend of mine for very long.

• still thinking
    still thinking

karter...clearly, I'll need paper plates and plastic knives and forks if you come for dinner...

How do you like your potatoe? rare? med? well done...I can do all sorts

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit