Would this bug you?

by still thinking 84 Replies latest jw friends

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

That's quite a conundrum. I know it would be hard to do, but maybe you can nicely point out to her how she does it all of the time, and how it bothers you. If she is a real friend, she will understand. If you do invite her over for dinner, ask her to help with the cleanup. I know that she should automatically be considerate and insist on cleaning the dishes, but it appears that unless she is asked to help, she will just assume you will continue to do it like always.

In regards to the latest situation tonight of her saying that she will bring dessert, tell her that Dessert would be nice, and you will be sure to have a pot of coffee ready to have with it (no dinner). You should not have to make a whole dinner for her and her kid if you don't want to. A real friend would not assume that you will cook for her/him anyways.

If she feels offended, or puts up a fuss, it will show that she is just a user and not your real friend. Friendships and relationships are give and take, and it seems that she is quick to take, but not interested in giving anything in return.

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

IDK. Some friends you would go to jail for before you betrayed them, and some friends are .... basically worthless. Ask to borrow something from her.

• still thinking
    still thinking

ohio...thanks for the advice...I agree that would be a great thing to do. I think I just don't have the nerve.

All I can picture is her face as I nicely say that to her...and her being really offended and not hearing from her again...that may not be realistic...but thats what I feel.

I tend to only do that type of thing when I can't stand it any more and by then I really don't care....very dysfuntional I know...but I am trying to do things differntly.

• TOTH
    TOTH

I have to go with TH68...Ask to borrow $500

• still thinking
    still thinking

trans...she would lend me anything...I know...she has before. That is why I am questoning if I am being unreasonable. Maybe things are ballanced but in other ways. But I just can't get past inviting yourself for dinner, and I don't know how to deal with it.

I am not trying to say she isn't a good friend, just this particular behaviour I have had enough of.

• talesin
    talesin

When we change our outlook on life, and begin to value ourselves more, it sometimes becomes apparent that current relationships are less than ideal.

You have changed, and perhaps, no longer feel the need to please; that's good. Can your friend accept the new you? Maybe it's time to find out.

t

• still thinking
    still thinking

TOTH...she would if she had it...but she has always been broke. This is half the problem. How can I feel like that about someone I know doesn't have a lot. Is it selfish. If it is, I will suck it up and get over it.

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

Just make soup. Break out a loaf of bread. Something very small...or collect money for take-out pizza.

Maybe, if it is just her and her son, she is lonely at supper time, and wants to have human interaction, a family type meal and doesn't realize she is being obtuse. If her not helping with the dishes bothers you, why don't you suggest "Jane, why don't you help me dry the dishes.

• still thinking
    still thinking

tal...for some reason what you just said made me cry.

Honestly guys...it's not about the food. It's behaviour, what is normal and what isn't, what to tolerate, what not to, and how to deal with it...I'm on a learning curve again.

• still thinking
    still thinking

Anyway...gotta go sort out dinner...they will be here soon. Thanks all.

Aussie...I know you are right..I'm just trying to figure myself out. Thanks for hitting it on the head straight away.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit