What has or would motivate you to attend an Ex-JW meet up...

by Tuesday 38 Replies latest jw friends

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

I just wanted to get a general consensus of what are the motivations to attend an ex-JW meet up. If you've already attended one before, what motivated you the first time or each successive time? If you've never attended an ex-JW meet up before what do you think could motivate you to attend one?

Thanks everyone, I'm really interested to read everyone's responses

• cantleave
    cantleave

Been to a few here in the UK. Just wanted to meet my virtual friends for real, and regain a social life.

• Londo111
    Londo111

I needed a support group. Unfortunately, such meetups always had a low turnout. I'm assuming most are afraid of being spotted, especially by spies. I'm realizing I kind of took some risks there, and I'm looking for a more low profile approach myself these days.

• Glander
    Glander

My motivation was to meet up with some folks who I thought would be interesting to get to know as real people. We had no board conflicts to complicate things. We met at a local pub. on a nice afternoon. There were, as I recall, about 5 avatars and a couple of their mates. It was the most stiff and uncomfortable 20 minutes I have ever spent over a pint of beer. Very dissapointing.

• blond-moment
    blond-moment

I see it like anything else, any other social opportunity. I sew clothes, I go to social sewing gatherings, stuff like that. I am an ex-jw, turns out there are others, even if we having nothing else in common, we have that, so why not? There is one coming up in my neck of the woods, in a few months, and I can't wait to go.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze
    If you've never attended an ex-JW meet up before what do you think could motivate you to attend one?

Location. I'd be interested if it was in my area, or within reasonable travelling distance.

• Dagney
    Dagney

Been to many and try to organize a few myself a couple times of year.

Motivation? To meet people, give support which is very much needed.

It's wonderful.

• Philadelphia Ponos
    Philadelphia Ponos

The only thing that would motivate to attend an ex-jw meet up is if there were members from former congregation or my former "friends" there. It'd be nice to how their real personalities are without the control of the watchtower.

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

Curiosity motivated me to go to my first meetup. I love them. After each one I look forward to the next.

• baltar447
    baltar447

I've been hesitant to attend any meetups like this it seems they many are sponsored by someone that wants me to convert to being a Jesus freak or something. It can be opportunistic and taking advantage of vulnerable people. I don't need someone trying to convert me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit