Higher Education Defined

by lastchance 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• therevealer
    therevealer

Disillusioned Lost-Lamb - I second, third and fourth that post. And further if you come on down before you got that education and show extraordinary suck up manship we might even send you to get said education. Oh, and we will pay for it. Just no free air conditioning. That's still on your dime.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Someone posted about all the perks WT lawyers have that normal Bethelites lack. Since law school is supposed to teach rigorous critical thinking skills and requires some sophistication, they prob. have trouble retaining Witnesses once they are in law school. There are no online law schools - as far as I am aware. A mere fragment must survive. I don't understand the cult hold on people. Christ would never elevate lawyers. In fact, Woe to you scribes and Pharisees. It is one more example of how they are not the Quakers or similar church.

I was fortunate to attend Columbia. Many famous people were profs. There seemed to be a correlation between worldly fame and not being able to teach to save your life. When I look back on college and law school, my classmates were the largest influence. A computer can retain facts. As the years pass, I have forgotten many details. The thinking approach remains. We were always encouraged to ask rigorous, hard questions. The Wt can't stand hard questions.

It is my belief that college for everyone is bad policy. What would they say to a carpentry or violin making apprenticeships? How would dance, acting, or art fall within their limited world? Something tells me they would love good actors for demos. Artists are valued at Bethel.

My family supported me. They were thrilled. It was rough enough being an ex-Witness. Imagine preaching creation in Biology 101. College and its variants are a life style choice.

• Cook My Socks UK
    Cook My Socks UK

I actually was at the meeting when a seven year old girl put her hand up during the WT study and said "Jehovah doesn't want us to go to college"!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit