Visiting a KH...

by ianao 22 Replies latest jw friends

• ianao
    ianao

A 'friend' of mine keeps telling me that everything I am reading here on this board is a packload of lies from people who have no respect for God.

He also tells me that if I would just GO to the KH for once, that I would see for myself that JWs are not the bad people that they are portrayed to be.

While I have my own convictions about this subject, I was curious to know what others' opinions would be on the fruitfullness of taking up this man's offer and going to the KH to see for myself. So, what do you think? Should I do it? What should I watch out for?

• Simon
    Simon

I guess it depends...
    If they see you as a potential convert then they will be all over you like a rash and everyone will want to be your friends.
    If, on the other hand, you are 'an evil apostate type who goes on the Internet' then it will be like one of those old westerns where tumbleweed blows across a deserted foyer and you are the lone gunfighter that everyone peeks at from behind shutters or, er...WatchTowers...
    They aren't bad people generally - I'd hate anyone reading this to get that idea. Unfortunately, they are misled and, as an organisation, the sum of it's parts is a bit lacking.

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

If you go to a KH, you would probably like it. As a new person, you would receive LOTS of attention (love bombing). You would most likely be invited to the homes of the brothers and sisters and be treated very well.

Everything initially seems wonderful. Respectful children, happy families, no swearing, everyone neat and clean.

The problem comes after you're "hooked". Then the expectations start, and the realization that any "Christian love" you might receive is based totally on how well you perform. Do you attend all the meetings? Are you regular in service? Do you follow all the rules? Do you study regularly? And, additionally, do you stay away from those who are not true believers? Do you refrain from any activities not explicitly sanctioned by the WTBTS? Do you....heaven forbid....read novels that might be considered an evil influence?

Things need to look good initially so that people will proceed to the step of baptism. Once they have you..... Well, you've read our experiences.

• trevor
    trevor

Hello ianao,

BEWARE THE TENDER TRAP.

trevor

• mommy
    mommy

Ianao,
    No offense but, look at that statement....Why would entering a BUILDING change your views? You have spent alot of time researching and deciding on a belief system. I agree with the others, it is a trap:)
    wendy

• peaceloveharmony
    peaceloveharmony

ianao,

along with everyone else's advice i have the following to add.

if you do decide to attend a meeting, arrive right at the start time. that way you will not be love bombed until after the meeting. sit in the back and OBSERVE!
    i recently attended a service meeting with my mother and my situation is different than yours but i sat in the back and observed the witnesses throughout the meeting. many were talking to others during the talks. those not talking didn't seem to be paying attention-seemed like most were daydreaming. the messages from the platform to me were funny: full of paranoia and fear of the "world". they also kept harping on bad associations. i felt like hadn't been away for 8 years--same message i remember. another thing was some of the reason they used to prove their truth. one talk was on Adam and Eve, real historical figures? it was two sisters presenting the material--you know how they have one as the jw and the other as a non believer? anyway--the girl used only her bible to prove adam existed. now my college educated mind is screaming out--you can't just use one source!!!!!
    all of these observations don't really tell me if the jw's have the truth or not but they do tell me that they are not logical in their thinking, they are ruled by fear and they don't really seem to me to be closer to god than any other religious group i've encountered.

after the meeting you will find yourself surrounded by people who want to draw you into their world. be on guard! as the others have explained, life is grand when you are studying but once you are baptized, the fun is over.

love to all!
    harmony

• ianao
    ianao

Hello All.

Thank you for your kind responses.

Now, if I can just get my JW friend to take a look at this website. He seems so curious to know what appostates think. This MAY be his chance, *IF* I can get him to read this article.

Thank you for ALL of your responses.

• mommy
    mommy

Ianao,
    I reread my post and it has been bugging me, let me clarify my thoughts.
    I am sorry if I sounded harsh, that was not my intention. The point I was trying to make is if you don't like chinese food, why would entering a chinese resturaunt change your mind? So you can look at the well kept establishment? And draw the conclusion that everything LOOKS nice? See how nice the waitress is? And conclude that she wouldn't serve you food that tastes AWFUL?
    I am sorry for saying it is a trap. I thought about this and I don't believe they INTENTIONALLY trying to trap. They are just doing as they are trained(get them in to the kh fast)
    And lastley I want to say I don't know the definition of an apostate, But I don't want to be labeled as such, just because they are demonized right? hee hee just kidding
    Sorry if I offended and I hope I cleared it up.
    much love and understanding sent your way
    wendy

• Gozz
    Gozz

Ianao,

if you do attend a KH you would find out that many of the people you'll meet are common folks. They're people struggling with the challenges everyone faces. Depending on your locality, you may or may not find those who're interested in doctrinal/organizational matters. Some (especially some of the older folks) see it as another religion; it's just church with all the attendant 'problems'. But I believe, you may find love, especially amongst the 'common folks'. Some of those in oversight positions will show genuine love.

As PLH said,

...arrive right at the start time. sit in the back and OBSERVE!

IMHO, it would be just fair to see things for yourself. Coupled with the things you've learnt from elsewhere, you just might have a somewhat balanced idea of what JWs are.

• Scorpion
    Scorpion

Ianano,

It is always good to see both sides of the issue. In this case, I see nothing wrong with you going to the Kingdom Hall with your friend. I also see nothing wrong with you stepping in front of a train bearing down at the speed of 50 miles per hour. Your chances with the train are better than the deception of the WT.

To attend a meeting at the Kingdom Hall, unless very familiar with what this religion is, I would strongly suggest against it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit